USA Biscuits in the UK

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

nmoon83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking USA Biscuits in the UK

Hiya

This one is a bit of a bizarre topic but i think im turning into a southener before i even leave the UK

Ok i dont know if this has been brought up before but i see so many recipes and different techniques on making USA biscuits and from what I've read it all comes down to the flour however i have not seen a UK recipe at all with UK ingedients.

Now i have been told White Lily is the best brand flour for making biscuits in the USA and when my fiancee came over we attempted to make some drop biscuits however they didnt turn out quite right using UK ingredients. They weren't as light and fluffy they tended to be heavy and doughy even though they looked good on the outside.

Just wondered if anyone else had attempted USA biscuits in the UK and if they have found a good recipe? or even found a biscuit mix!

Looking forward to making some more chicken biscuits in the next week!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:23 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Biscuits in the UK

Originally Posted by nmoon83
Hiya

This one is a bit of a bizarre topic but i think im turning into a southener before i even leave the UK

Ok i dont know if this has been brought up before but i see so many recipes and different techniques on making USA biscuits and from what I've read it all comes down to the flour however i have not seen a UK recipe at all with UK ingedients.

Now i have been told White Lily is the best brand flour for making biscuits in the USA and when my fiancee came over we attempted to make some drop biscuits however they didnt turn out quite right using UK ingredients. They weren't as light and fluffy they tended to be heavy and doughy even though they looked good on the outside.

Just wondered if anyone else had attempted USA biscuits in the UK and if they have found a good recipe? or even found a biscuit mix!

Looking forward to making some more chicken biscuits in the next week!
I'm guessing your after making the scone type biscuits right, not cookies..

I would say your best bet would be to use a savory scone recipe and take it from there...see the below thread though..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=recipes
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:25 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Look for cake flour.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

OMG i cant believe theres like 200 pages of recipes to look through that would take all year or something but i will look lol

Ok just so people know i AM talking about USA biscuits NOT cookies and yes that means like the savoury scones.

Just so people know i have tried sainsburys own brand selfraising flour and that didnt work so well so im trying some homepride selfraising expensive stuff now

keep the suggestions coming though
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:42 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

OMG i cant believe theres like 200 pages of recipes to look through that would take all year or something but i will look lol

Ok just so people know i AM talking about USA biscuits NOT cookies and yes that means like the savoury scones.

Just so people know i have tried sainsburys own brand selfraising flour and that didnt work so well so im trying some homepride selfraising expensive stuff now

keep the suggestions coming though
I hate to say this...but why do you even like em...I think they're crap!! Give me a good old bap or a scone any day of the week..
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:43 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Cake flour is your best bet, not self raising seen as you will be adding raising agents. (Not yeast)

Just mix untill combined and minimal needing as it's not really a bread.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:45 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Also the crumb is similar to Scones but not quite the same.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

If you want to take the lazy method, bisquick is freely available in the UK.
Tesco definitely sells it, I'm sure Sainsburys do also, and no doubt all the other supermarkets.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

All the American expats on UK-Yankee have recipes for all their favorites. US biscuits included, I too think they are Unless smothered in the white country gravy
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:59 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Unless smothered in the white country gravy
Who else will join me in throwing up a little...
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:15 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Who else will join me in throwing up a little...

Its a welsh thing...she does that to gross us out...
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
Its a welsh thing...she does that to gross us out...
Must be an acquired taste, I think I could put that stuff on a shoe and it'd taste good
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:12 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Must be an acquired taste, I think I could put that stuff on a shoe and it'd taste good

Ok, you might be pushing it with the shoe...

Ill grant you though, it has some other uses..as a substitute for rat poison perhaps...to grease up CV joints...the smell wards off evil spirits...and if you want to (for whatever reason) skive off work, throw it on the floor and pretend you up chucked it....
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by srefre
If you want to take the lazy method, bisquick is freely available in the UK.
Tesco definitely sells it, I'm sure Sainsburys do also, and no doubt all the other supermarkets.
Thank u so much i just talked to my fiancee about the fact we can get bisquick i have been saved!!!! pity i didnt see it in sainsburys today though or i would have got it.
I have a big tescos near me so they will bound to have it.

i like my white gravy with sausage in but i love chicken biscuits more hahaha
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a search within a thread though, top of the thread, there should be 3 drop downs, it should be in the middle of "thread tools" and "rate this thread".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.