US vs. UK teenagers views

Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:30 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default US vs. UK teenagers views

anyone had the experience of moving back to UK with teenagers that have never been there before? what was there reaction and views? mine only know American culture. think its going to be a big shock to them. anyone with tips to make it easier? it will be appreciated.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US vs. UK teenagers views

Originally Posted by callë
anyone had the experience of moving back to UK with teenagers that have never been there before? what was there reaction and views? mine only know American culture. think its going to be a big shock to them. anyone with tips to make it easier? it will be appreciated.
give them a good thrashing and tell them to be glad that daddy wasn't originally from Chechnya.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:08 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that manc. they had their share of thrashings growing up. my daddy was in the royal navy and kept us on our toes with his cane thing (?) that he got in the navy. I still remember the feeling of the sting across my legs. ouch! my poor kids have found out that if it was good enough for me, its good enough for them. I do think I was quite gentler than my daddy was though.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that manc. they had their share of thrashings growing up. my daddy was in the royal navy and kept us on our toes with his cane thing (?) that he got in the navy. I still remember the feeling of the sting across my legs. ouch! my poor kids have found out that if it was good enough for me, its good enough for them. I do think I was quite gentler than my daddy was though.
well I was a little tongue in cheek, in all seriousness.......... I would dread it if my kids went to the UK for schooling, whilst I think education in the UK is a lot better, I also think my 14 year old boy just wouldn't be interested in learning about Horatio Nelson, Tudors, war of the Roses when it has no relevence to them.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:25 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by manc1976
well I was a little tongue in cheek, in all seriousness.......... I would dread it if my kids went to the UK for schooling, whilst I think education in the UK is a lot better, I also think my 14 year old boy just wouldn't be interested in learning about Horatio Nelson, Tudors, war of the Roses when it has no relevence to them.

yeah, I understand that. but I think they already think half of what they learn in school has no relevence to them. luckily, they are quite studious. my son attends Stanton high. dont know if you've heard of it, but its a college preparatory school. no.1 in the whole US. dont know where they got it from. safe to say, not from me.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:26 pm
@matthewb76

yeah, I understand that. but I think they already think half of what they learn in school has no relevence to them. luckily, they are quite studious. my son attends Stanton high. dont know if you've heard of it, but its a college preparatory school. no.1 in the whole US. dont know where they got it from. safe to say, not from me.
well trying to geto urs to stdy is like trying to get blood from a rock.

on the plus side, the girls will be all over the american accents like shit on a stick.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:55 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by manc1976
well trying to geto urs to stdy is like trying to get blood from a rock.

on the plus side, the girls will be all over the american accents like shit on a stick.

that'll be funny. he's soooo shy.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

that'll be funny. he's soooo shy.

I just moved back with my 4 kids ages 8,8,10,13 yrs, after 7 yrs away.... The children don't remember UK and were totally emmersed in US culture so I was very concerned about the change for them...

I have been supprised. The youngest three have adapted very well and so quickly.... My eldest has had a few teething problems mainly due to not wanting to be here..... Decided that negativity was the answer.... After a talk about attitude change, and that if he chooses to look at the negative things like leaving his friends behind etc he will be miserable..... We talk about the good things to look forward to.... New friends, new places, family etc..... That was 2 weeks ago...

He has made a total turn around.... Looking forward to school,making new friends, interested in places and wanting to learn. The child I am used to having... LOL

He now sees it as a new adventure and experience in life.......

Thank God......
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:44 pm
Home at last

thanks for the reply Honeymommy. It's good to know that they might adjust ok. got to just really play up the good and get them excited about everything new. my 15 yo daughter cant wait to see a real castle and shes hoping to go somewhere haunted. (too many mystery books for her). the biggest thing is leaving friends they have known for so long.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply Honeymommy. It's good to know that they might adjust ok. got to just really play up the good and get them excited about everything new. my 15 yo daughter cant wait to see a real castle and shes hoping to go somewhere haunted. (too many mystery books for her). the biggest thing is leaving friends they have known for so long.

I have to say something about making them excited I am afraid... I talked to them about Windsor Castle. 7 yrs ago you could go into part of the castle on the outside, see the gardens and the changing of the guard for free.... I told them all about it.. They had a real let down when we went... Younow have to pay an entry fee for any part of the castle and at over £40 for us to go in I couldn't afford it.... They were really dissapointed.... I have learnt to tell them to wait and see... Books definately help.....

About friends...... My son and his friends in the USA chat online together. If you go to livejournal.com they can set up their own journal.... Friends can leave messages for them and visa versa... There is also AIM.com they can set up a buddy list so only thier friends can contact them....

Hope this helps....
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at school in the UK whilst my parents lived in the US when I was 16. Frankly I was glad they moved to Egypt where I could go and do things on my own without needing a lift. The main difference is in education systems. Kids will moan about any curriculum but taking a 17 year old from the US and whacking them in the middle of A-levels would be very challenging.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bondipom
I was at school in the UK whilst my parents lived in the US when I was 16. Frankly I was glad they moved to Egypt where I could go and do things on my own without needing a lift. The main difference is in education systems. Kids will moan about any curriculum but taking a 17 year old from the US and whacking them in the middle of A-levels would be very challenging.

Theres allways the American community schools....

http://www.acs-england.co.uk/

http://www.tasis.com/England/index.cfm

http://www.isbi.com/
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Indeed there is. What is the situation for British university entrance with US high school qualifications? There is also the international bacc which is highly regarded the world over.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:00 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by bondipom
Indeed there is. What is the situation for British university entrance with US high school qualifications? There is also the international bacc which is highly regarded the world over.

yes, if anyone knows. i am trying to find out just where mine would stand with their schooling for entrance into British university. my son in particular attends Stanton college preparatory, which is supposed to be recognized universally, but I dont know exactly how it works.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

yes, if anyone knows. i am trying to find out just where mine would stand with their schooling for entrance into British university. my son in particular attends Stanton college preparatory, which is supposed to be recognized universally, but I dont know exactly how it works.
Calle (er, how do you put the dots above the e?!)

How old are your teenagers?

More importantly, how old is the elder one and in how many years is he/she likely to be off to university? Will you be heading back to England & Wales or to Scotland? There are regulations regarding university tuition fees for expat kids whose parents have been resident outside the UK.

Let me know your circumstances and I'll go into more detail.

It's very common now for many British teenagers to take a 'Gap' year at the end of their high school education (my daughter had a 'Gap' year) and she is classed as a UK resident for fees purposes even though we (her parents) are in the States. (Actually she's on a health-related degree course and the NHS pays her course fees.....can you imagine that happening in the States?!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.