Reload this Page >

US Tax returns once back in the UK

US Tax returns once back in the UK

Old May 31st 2011, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

goalieadam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Tax returns once back in the UK

Hi,

We moved to the US in June 2009 and at the moment we are planning to return the 2nd half of next year. I'm curious as to how long I will need to continue to have to submit US tax returns once we are back? I'm guessing there would be one for next year and nothing after that?

Also, when we moved over we were able to offset our moving costs againsts oiur tax bill, have people been able to do that moving back to the UK? We also have an amount of tax we paid in the UK that we were unable to fully utilize against our US tax return and cannot be used unless you earn money in the UK, could this be used next year too?

I understand I may need to speak to a tax advisor, just wondering on other peoples experience.

Thanks
Goalieadam
Old May 31st 2011, 11:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax returns once back in the UK

What was your immigration/visa status in the US?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:16 am
Just Joined

I am on an L1. I arrived on an L1-B and I have now been transferred to an L1-A since changing my position (pretty sure that change doesn't matter)

My wife is also working on her L2 visa
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:04 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you'll just have to file taxes for the year in which you worked in the US for a few months, and then you're done. Only citizens have to keep filing.

No idea on the other question I'm afraid.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thought i would bring this up again to see if anyone can answer any of the unanswered questions

Thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes you'll just have to file taxes for the year in which you worked in the US for a few months, and then you're done. Only citizens have to keep filing.

No idea on the other question I'm afraid.
Just a quick note that in some very peculiar circumstances Green Card holders are also required to continue filing, not just citizens. If you made over a certain amount or have considerable assets the IRS consider your abandonment of residency to be a 'tax dodge' and requires continued filing.

We have a bit on that in the wiki. Doesn't apply in this situation but wanted to put it in here should future people search on this subject.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Green_Card_Abandonment

http://www.sgrlaw.com/resources/trus...ues/ttl16/835/