US Tax Question

Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Tax Question

Hello all. We've been back in the UK a year already. Where did that go!! I'm putting together an update for the 'Back Home' section and I'll post it today or tomorrow.

Question re: USA taxes. We left the USA on January 12th 2015. My wife got a job transfer and was on the UK payroll as of January 1st 2015 and off the USA payroll December 31st. She was paid a bonus and her final payroll in late January from the USA into our USA joint account. I had no earnings at all in the USA in 2015.

So when we do our 2015 tax return, my questions are as follows:

1. Do we file jointly or does it matter?
2. Will my wife be able to claim back taxes deducted on her final payroll from the USA including the bonuses?
3. Anything else?

Thanks guys, MrM
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax Question

Originally Posted by MrMuffin

So when we do our 2015 tax return, my questions are as follows:

1. Do we file jointly or does it matter?
That depends on citizenship......If someone living outside the US can avoid US taxation it's usually good.

2. Will my wife be able to claim back taxes deducted on her final payroll from the USA including the bonuses?
She won't be taxed twice, but where to claim the FTC is tricky as the work was done in the US while a US resident, but the payment made while a UK resident.....oh what is the citizenship status? [/quote]

3. Anything else?

Thanks guys, MrM
Lots, I imagine.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
That depends on citizenship......If someone living outside the US can avoid US taxation it's usually good.

She won't be taxed twice, but where to claim the FTC is tricky as the work was done in the US while a US resident, but the payment made while a UK resident.....oh what is the citizenship status?

Lots, I imagine.
Thanks Nun,

My wife is a USC and she's currently here in the UK on a Tier 2.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:29 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Thanks Nun,

My wife is a USC and she's currently here in the UK on a Tier 2.
As the work was done prior to your wife becoming a UK resident I would file a UK spit tax year and only include income from periods of work done while a UK resident....so no UK tax on the income she earned before becoming a UK resident....which year's W2 does the income and bonus come on.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We file joint and also deduct our youngest child.
We just file the paperwork, we don't owe and don't get anything back, but we want to claim our SSI in a few years so are keeping our noses clean.
If she's due a refund they'll send it.