Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US Social Security Moving Back to UK

US Social Security Moving Back to UK

Old May 24th 2024, 11:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Social Security Moving Back to UK

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes I believe it is taking months to start the payments but the first payment my wife received was 6 months worth because it did count from the date of the application.

Understood. Thank you for the info.
Old May 28th 2024, 8:05 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

My wife applied online through the US Embassy in London. Then it was a phone call from them to her and they submitted the application. I will be doing the same myself later this year. It is the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) that handle it.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...eral-benefits/
So I went to look for the online form, but all I see is this generic email query form. Do I just send that in and wait for them to call?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...email_enquiry/

Second, slightly odd question. OH has a massive anxiety condition and talking to the government is a big trigger. Will they agree to talk to me about his SS, rather than him?
Old May 28th 2024, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So I went to look for the online form, but all I see is this generic email query form. Do I just send that in and wait for them to call?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...email_enquiry/

Second, slightly odd question. OH has a massive anxiety condition and talking to the government is a big trigger. Will they agree to talk to me about his SS, rather than him?
Yes, it is a free form email where you give your personal details including SSN stating that you wish to apply for SS. She received a phone call from them about 6 weeks later.

I doubt very much that they will discuss his SS with you.
Old May 28th 2024, 8:17 am

Yes, it is a free form email where you give your personal details including SSN stating that you wish to apply for SS. She received a phone call from them about 6 weeks later.

I doubt very much that they will discuss his SS with you.

Ok, thank you.

And I suspected as much. Do they make an appointment to call or just call out of the blue?

Old May 28th 2024, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thank you.

And I suspected as much. Do they make an appointment to call or just call out of the blue?
As I recall they just call out of the blue. We were hiking on a sea cliff top close by a railway line when the first call came in, just as a long freight train was passing. She then made an appointment for a more detailed interview and we were home for that one.
Old May 28th 2024, 9:19 am

As I recall they just call out of the blue. We were hiking on a sea cliff top close by a railway line when the first call came in, just as a long freight train was passing. She then made an appointment for a more detailed interview and we were home for that one.
Got it, thank you. We'll try to stay away from cliffs.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 28th 2024 at 9:21 am.
Old May 28th 2024, 12:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem possible for your OH to appoint you as his representative, which would allow you to communicate with SS on his behalf. There's a different form for appointment as a representative payee, which of course is N/A for you and your OH.
From my understanding, your OH needs to apply, as the claimant, to appoint you as his 'non-attorney' representative. Looking at the 'non-attorney' required qualifications, you'd have no problem with being deemed qualified (unless you've murdered someone and haven't told me) Info and links below, which appear to be written guidance for SS staff. I hope it helps a bit.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0203910020#a
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0203910040

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 28th 2024 at 12:25 pm.
Old May 29th 2024, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It does seem possible for your OH to appoint you as his representative, which would allow you to communicate with SS on his behalf. There's a different form for appointment as a representative payee, which of course is N/A for you and your OH.
From my understanding, your OH needs to apply, as the claimant, to appoint you as his 'non-attorney' representative. Looking at the 'non-attorney' required qualifications, you'd have no problem with being deemed qualified (unless you've murdered someone and haven't told me) Info and links below, which appear to be written guidance for SS staff. I hope it helps a bit.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0203910020#a
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0203910040

Thank you! I will definitely check this out. I don't remember killing anyone so should be ok there. It makes him sound a bit incompetent, but it's a physiological reaction. He's 6'4" so it's no joke if he hits the floor

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 29th 2024 at 10:58 am.
Old May 30th 2024, 4:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I will definitely check this out. I don't remember killing anyone so should be ok there. It makes him sound a bit incompetent, but it's a physiological reaction. He's 6'4" so it's no joke if he hits the floor
Especially if he falls on the cat!
The brain is the boss, and an incredibly complex one at that. If we actually had a say in how it worked, we'd all be insufferably perfect little robots.
Old May 30th 2024, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you paid NI for at least three years you are likely eligible to make back contributions towards a UK state pension. And if you apply to make Class 2 contributions it only costs about £150-£160/yr, which is an insanely good investment as you will receive back every penny you contribute in increased pension payments in about 7 months after you retire. In your case, if you have less than 10 years of contributions, then you have another reason, as if you have less than 10 years of contributions, you don't get any state pension.

At the moment, until March 2023 you may be able to contribute for years back to 2006, so 16 years (otherwise you can only contribute 6 back years plus the current year) plus whatever you originally contributed, should get you more than 50% of a state pension (Add the number of years of contributions, plus deemed contributions if you stayed in school after your 16th birthday, which typically adds three years of contributions, and divide the total by 35 years to get the fraction of a full UK state pension that you're eligible for). ... Then add any more years you work in future and/ or (if you're still outside the UK) you make Class 2 contributions.

But you need to get your skates on to get those 2006-2015 years, as it takes time to process your application for Class 2; also you must be outside the US to make those additional contributions. That said, I hear you can apply on line these days. You're looking for the Department of Work and Pensions International Desk, they also have a phone line and the people there are very helpful.
Brilliant advice from Pulaski as usual. But I think there’s one tiny typo: you must be outside the UK (not the US) to make the additional contributions, no?

Old May 31st 2024, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Brilliant advice from Pulaski as usual. But I think there’s one tiny typo: you must be outside the UK (not the US) to make the additional contributions, no?
My wife and I made our voluntary contributions after returning to England.
Old May 31st 2024, 4:47 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I think that may apply to the Class 2 vs Class 3 thing. If you are working in the US, you can pay Class 2 NICs. If you are living in the UK, there are restrictions on whether you can pay Class 2 NICs. Interestingly, if you work as an examiner, exam question writer, or exam invigilator (even for just a few hours i the year), you can pay Class 2. It's not too difficult to get work as an exam invigilator, so definitely worth considering. I managed to pay Class 2 NICs for two years after I retired, even though I only examined a couple of PhD vivas, and worked a handful of days as exam invigilator at the local university.

It's possible that after you return to the UK, you could pay retrospective Class 2 NICs for the years you were working in the US. However, when I tried to do this, I was told it had to be Class 3. I still think that may have been an error, but at the time I was so snowed under with work I just didn't have the energy or time to chase it up. Definitely worth asking the question to HMRC.
Old May 31st 2024, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You haven't said whether you are a USC or PR. I'm a UKC, non-USC, non-US PR living in the UK, and I started receiving SSA benefits (pension) at age 62. I'm pretty sure that prior to reaching US retirement age (66 for me, I think) if I worked over a certain number of hours in a month, I would lose SSA pension completely for that month. (I'm now over US retirement age, so assume it no longer applies to me). I have no idea how the month is counted (calendar month, maybe?), nor how they would know if I'm working, but that's a separate discussion.

Update: I just found the following in a US Social Security.gov publication titled Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States: "The foreign work test. If you are receiving Social Security benefits and are younger than full retirement age, we will withhold your benefits for each month you work more than 45 hours outside the United States and you are not subject to U.S. Social Security taxes."
Yes it is over 45 hours in a month, there are also rules if one owns a business or officer/director of a business.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Chelseagal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am currently a resident of the US and am moving back to the UK in August. I have just been approved for survivor benefits from my late husband. I plan on renouncing my green card. I have been told to continue receiving survivor benefits I have to return to the US every 6 months or I will lose it. I have given my notice in and work and sold my house no I don’t know what to do. I cannot travel back every 6 months. Getting conflicting answers when I call social security. Is anyone getting survivor benefits in the UK? I am worried sick over this as it will be my only income. Thank you
Old Jun 10th 2024, 1:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chelseagal
Hi, I am currently a resident of the US and am moving back to the UK in August. I have just been approved for survivor benefits from my late husband. I plan on renouncing my green card. I have been told to continue receiving survivor benefits I have to return to the US every 6 months or I will lose it. I have given my notice in and work and sold my house no I don’t know what to do. I cannot travel back every 6 months. Getting conflicting answers when I call social security. Is anyone getting survivor benefits in the UK? I am worried sick over this as it will be my only income. Thank you
First of all, I'm not in your situation, so can only look for relative information and can't offer real-life experience of what happens.

BUT ...I can sympathise with the often confusing search for correct information. Have you read document EN-05-10137, titled Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States? I can see sections that reflect what you are saying (e.g., p. 3, "If you are not a U.S. citizen or you do not meet one of the conditions for continued payments, we will stop your payments after you have been outside the U.S. for 6 full calendar months." Also, on p. 4, "If you are receiving your payments as a dependent or survivor, you must also meet the conditions listed in this publication under the section “Additional residency requirements for dependents and survivors.”

So, it looks like you have to check on two things: (a) whether you would normally be eligible for continued SS payments (e.g., being a UK citizen usually meets that requirement), and (b) whether you meet the "additional residency requirements for ... survivors". In the section on p. 9, it says, "However, the U.S. residency requirement does not apply if you meet any of the following conditions: [third bullet] You are a citizen of a country listed under number 3 in the section titled “Conditions for payments to continue while you are outside the United States” in this publication. [fourth bullet, on p.9/p.10] You are a resident of a country (other than Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, or Switzerland) listed in the section titled “Countries that have social security agreements with the United States.”.

The UK is listed as one of the countries in both the former (p. 5) and the latter (p. 10) countries.

So, it looks hopeful, but please do your own reading of this document and wait for helpful advice from anyone who knows from experience (although, "old" experience doesn't always apply to current regulations). I just know that when you are in the middle of something like this, it helps if someone else looks fr an answer because they are not in such a panicked state.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.