Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US Social Security Moving Back to UK

US Social Security Moving Back to UK

Old Nov 30th 2022, 4:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Social Security Moving Back to UK

Originally Posted by NicolaNick
So, thanks a million! This is so kind of you and very helpful. Might I tax you for another thought. If I make those contributions and then end up staying in the US, do I say goodbye to that investment or can I access it from the US? Thank you (THANK YOU!)
A UK state pension is totally accessible from the US, and in fact is even better than if you were living in/ acessing your state pension from countries such as Canada, Australia, NZ, India, South Africa, etc, as a UK state pension paid in the US gets the annual increases, unlike the other countries where it is frozen.

Just to be clear, it is perfectly possible to qualify for full, un-WEPed, US SS payments and a full UK state pension without either one impacting the value or qualification for the other. That is what I am on track to do!

And both are paid irrespective of which country you are living in when you draw them. Also both can be deferred and allowed to further increase, so you might claim one if you only need lower income for a few years, and allow the other to keep on growing.

If you don't/ won't have 30 years of SS contributions then you will have to grapple with WEP, and it may be advantageous to draw and spend any UK pension funds (technically "pensions paid for with earnings not assessable for SS contributions") before claiming your SS, as non-US pensions are included in your WEP calculation, unless the account is fully drawn and spent when you start drawing SS.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 30th 2022 at 4:31 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Cjnorth1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
My wife has been receiving her monthly SS payment directly into our UK bank account for about a year now. It works great and with the best exchange rate possible on the day of the transfer.
Do you have to pay taxes ?
Old Apr 17th 2024, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cjnorth1959
Do you have to pay taxes ?
Yes, and if you are resident in the UK then only UK taxes, it is not taxed by the IRS.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Cjnorth1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes, and if you are resident in the UK then only UK taxes, it is not taxed by the IRS.
Thank you for replying much appreciated