US phone number in the UK

Old May 20th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

01steven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US phone number in the UK

Moving back to the UK in a few weeks after 3 years in the US.
Been using Vonage in the US which has worked well.
I have a virtual UK number so folks in the UK have been able to call at local rates and reach us here- have even been forwarding those calls to our cell phones at no extra charge so that's worked well.
I'd like to be able to give people in the US a US number they can call to reach us back in the UK.
Skype offer this service I know, but I'd have to be logged in to receive calls.
I know I can use Vonage in the UK too.
Is there any way of doing this so that incoming calls forward to a UK landline? (or better still mobile?)
I have a Google Voice number which might just do the trick for receiving calls/voicemails, and then I could return the call with something like Skype or my phone provider's international call package.
Any thoughts on this?
Old May 20th 2013, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US phone number in the UK

Vonage will do it, but it is not cheap.

Cheap and better is Obihai hardware coupled with to Callcentric service. And you can use googlevoice for call screening and forwarding if you set up the obihai while (or when) physically stateside.
Old May 20th 2013, 11:03 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a few options for Skype, such as a smartphone that has Skype, or buy a dedicated Skype handset. We use both as our solution.
Old May 21st 2013, 7:24 am
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look at Skype as I believe you can get a US number which your friends and family could reach you on. We do the same but with a UK number.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Cheap and better is Obihai hardware coupled with to Callcentric service. .
Just to be clear about this, what the obi110 (but not skype) will let you do is catch calls on a (free for incoming) Callcentric upstate New York number and have them sent via internet to your at-home (in the UK) handset hung off the obi. But if you are not home the obi forwards the call goes OUT on your physical UK analogue landline to your UK mobile.

And you can put googlevoice call screening on the front of that, if you want to get fancy, but to set googlevoice up you must have an operable US number. Either because you are physically in the US and have a mobile or you have second virtual US number (eg a second obihai).

If that all sounds very complicated the only reason is that it truly is very complicated Vonage offers few options which makes it easy to set up since you don't have to configure lots of things. But you pay Vonage dearly every month for that one-time privilege.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

TheMrs is on a distinguished road

Try magic Jack. i use it when I'm out of the USA and while I'm in the USA. It's a device you can connect to your computer, and make and receive calls for free, it works through the Internet. Cost of the device is about 29 bucks. Now they have an app for Majic Jack which I use on my iPad, it's compatible with iPhone too. If I'm out I can see the missed calls, just like a cellphone, or I can get voicemail too. For the app you don't need to pay, it's free. They normally assign you a new York city phone number. Try it, I love it, been using it for three years now. You can even print out your call logs just like a regular phone bill. Their website is majicjack.com