Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US Driving license in UK, however...

US Driving license in UK, however...

Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:49 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Driving license in UK, however...

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Its really not your business to ask, now is it JG? I'm assuming Lansbury means when my daughter has got the tickets in the UK, not you asking. She has lived in the UK for 12 years (long before she became an adult), she hasn't always had a license, obviously because she wasn't old enough in the first place.

At any rate, its something she will have to deal with. Her insurance company continues to insure her (no it hasn't been 5 years, its a matter of a couple of years) and after talking to her last night, she's a bit more clearer on the accuracy of what has been told to her versus what may be right.
Please don't get upset we are not trying to make things difficult but trying to ensure your daughter doesn't encounter some serious problems. I'm sorry just because the insurance company issued a certificate doesn't mean she is insured, they issue the certificate assuming she is complying with all the conditions.

The problem may never surface but if she is involved in an accident which police report or is stopped by police for a traffic offence and they ask for her licence the situation will get complicated. Relying on information from the DVLA is only marginally better that that from a DMV.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Google;

"DVLA, New Residents"

and the first link will be to a PDF file showing the rules.

Jim.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Please don't get upset we are not trying to make things difficult but trying to ensure your daughter doesn't encounter some serious problems. I'm sorry just because the insurance company issued a certificate doesn't mean she is insured, they issue the certificate assuming she is complying with all the conditions.

The problem may never surface but if she is involved in an accident which police report or is stopped by police for a traffic offence and they ask for her licence the situation will get complicated. Relying on information from the DVLA is only marginally better that that from a DMV.
I'm absolutely not upset. I appreciate the information and as I said we have discussed this.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jul 29th 2010 at 6:53 am.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Google;

"DVLA, New Residents"

and the first link will be to a PDF file showing the rules.
Right...and the rules say....

"You can drive vehicles weighing up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats as long as your full licence or driving permit stays valid for up to 12 months from the date you came to GB."

"To continue to drive after this you must pass your driving test before the 12-month period ends."

....which is what we have been saying all along....

Lisa's sister would be foolish to rely on anything contrary to that said by anyone, especially the insurance company.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Right...and the rules say....

"You can drive vehicles weighing up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats as long as your full licence or driving permit stays valid for up to 12 months from the date you came to GB."

"To continue to drive after this you must pass your driving test before the 12-month period ends."

....which is what we have been saying all along....

Lisa's sister would be foolish to rely on anything contrary to that said by anyone, especially the insurance company.
She is not my sister, she's my daughter. And hopefully she will get her UK license, when she gets back. Foolish or not, she won't be the first, nor last person to do it.

End of story.....
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

She is not my sister, she's my daughter. And hopefully she will get her UK license, when she gets back. Foolish or not, she won't be the first, nor last person to do it.

End of story.....
Definitely not, but now she knows.

Anyway, amusingly, until a few years ago, they did allow you to just transfer the license, but that was a reciprocal thing, so they don't let the US drivers do that any more. I know a couple of people from Japan who didn't want to give up their license because of the hassle, but failed their UK test, so just swapped them around anyway
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Definitely not, but now she knows.

Anyway, amusingly, until a few years ago, they did allow you to just transfer the license, but that was a reciprocal thing, so they don't let the US drivers do that any more. I know a couple of people from Japan who didn't want to give up their license because of the hassle, but failed their UK test, so just swapped them around anyway
I got my UK license, over 10 years ago when I moved over. I didn't wait any length of time because we had bought a car that included free insurance for the first three years (or 1, can't remember) and it wouldn't insure my US license. I had to take the theory and practical, they didn't swap my license for the other. Wonder when they did that swap thing?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I got my UK license, over 10 years ago when I moved over. I didn't wait any length of time because we had bought a car that included free insurance for the first three years (or 1, can't remember) and it wouldn't insure my US license. I had to take the theory and practical, they didn't swap my license for the other. Wonder when they did that swap thing?
I've no idea when they stopped it with the US, but they did use to do it.

Only a handful of countries that can transfer it now anyway, Japan, Canada, SA and a few others.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

She has lived in the UK for 12 years (long before she became an adult)
Unless I've missed something here, if she was living in the UK when she became of driving age why did she not take a test in the UK?
She took a test in the US, a country in which she was not currently residing.
I'm a little confused.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
Unless I've missed something here, if she was living in the UK when she became of driving age why did she not take a test in the UK?
She took a test in the US, a country in which she was not currently residing.
I'm a little confused.
Because the USA test is not as stringent as the UK test?

That's why the UK won't recognise the majority of USA licences for a straight swop.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

That was my first line of thinking, but would she have also been eligible for a US license at 16 as opposed to 17 in the UK, so maybe took the first available?
Still seems odd to me though that you don't have the license for the country of your primary residence.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
That was my first line of thinking, but would she have also been eligible for a US license at 16 as opposed to 17 in the UK, so maybe took the first available?
Still seems odd to me though that you don't have the license for the country of your primary residence.
Whilst you can get a USA licence at 16 it wouldn't of allowed her to drive in the UK as the agreement that allows use of foreign licences abroad does stipulate that you must be of the minimum age for driving in the country you are visiting, i.e. 17 in the UK for cars.