Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US Driving license in UK, however...

US Driving license in UK, however...

Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:53 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Driving license in UK, however...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I don't think that will wash with the cops is she's stopped
Wouldn't have washed with me,
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Wouldn't have washed with me,
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
He was a cop, she's resident in the UK for more than 12 months, he'd have done her for driving without a valid license...

Cops might turn the other cheek, but insurance company is far less likely to. Now she's been resident more than 12 months, she'll need to get the provisional license first to take the test, better get that sorted sharpish now she knows.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
He was a cop, she's resident in the UK for more than 12 months, he'd have done her for driving without a valid license...

Cops might turn the other cheek, but insurance company is far less likely to. Now she's been resident more than 12 months, she'll need to get the provisional license first to take the test, better get that sorted sharpish now she knows.
Ah I see.....well both of her tickets were results of speed cameras, maybe that's why she hasn't had a problem, as yet.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:49 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I see.....well both of her tickets were results of speed cameras, maybe that's why she hasn't had a problem, as yet.
Yes no-one has asked the relevant question, how long have you been living in the UK.

She is driving without a valid licence and hence that will invalidate her insurance, so driving uninsured. The latter the more serious of the two. By the way driving uninsured is what is called an absolute offense there is no defense to it, so saying someone told me at the DVLA my licence was valid will not be a defense.

Needs fixing asap
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Sppeding tickets, depending on the amount over the limit normally qualify as 3 Points, per infraction, against your licence. So, there's 6 Points, for starters. It's a wonder the Insurance isn't going Northwards on this one.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Jul 28th 2010 at 11:09 am.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes no-one has asked the relevant question, how long have you been living in the UK.

She is driving without a valid licence and hence that will invalidate her insurance, so driving uninsured. The latter the more serious of the two. By the way driving uninsured is what is called an absolute offense there is no defense to it, so saying someone told me at the DVLA my licence was valid will not be a defense.

Needs fixing asap
But she is driving insured, and she has proof of it. The fact that the insurance company (in this case Aviva) keeps giving her a policy, with an American license after 12 months is a bit odd, isn't it? And certainly the fact that they are out to make money isn't a very good excuse. Yes, she has the responsibility to be in compliance, but the insurance shouldn't be insuring her either.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

As has already been said that won't hold up. The small print in her policy will say that she must hold a valid license at all times, or the insurance isn't valid.

Since she doesn't have a valid license, neither does she have insurance coverage, regardless of whether she has a policy document or 'proof of insurance' or not.

It's not difficult to grasp.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

But she is driving insured, and she has proof of it. The fact that the insurance company (in this case Aviva) keeps giving her a policy, with an American license after 12 months is a bit odd, isn't it? And certainly the fact that they are out to make money isn't a very good excuse. Yes, she has the responsibility to be in compliance, but the insurance shouldn't be insuring her either.
Lisa your daughter is driving in the UK without a valid licence. Unless she has got a water tight letter from the insurance company saying they will insure her even though she is driving without a licence...she does not have insurance. If she's caught they'll throw the book at her. It's your daughter's responsibility to make sure she has a valid licence...not the insurance company's. God forbid...but if she's prosecuted...standing up in court and saying 'someone from the insurance company told me it was OK to drive using my US licence' isn't going to cut it. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Of course they'll take her money year after year...why wouldn't they? It's a win win situation for them.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 28th 2010 at 4:25 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Needs fixing asap
The reason I haven't asked is because as long as I've been a BE member Lisa's mentioned she has an adult daughter living in the UK. So I'm guessing it's at least 5 years. I would think the length of time would also go against her if she was prosecuted.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I haven't asked is because as long as I've been a BE member Lisa's mentioned she has an adult daughter living in the UK. So I'm guessing it's at least 5 years. I would think the length of time would also go against her if she was prosecuted.
I couldn't find anything doing a google search, but I recall a tragic case a couple of years ago where an American in the UK was found at fault in an accident that killed someone. It turned out that he'd been living in England for many years, but driving on an American license. They threw the book at him and he was jailed. Driving without a valid license is just bad news both financially and legally if something goes wrong. It's not something I'd risk doing, but I'm sure a lot of people get away with it though.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 28th 2010 at 5:10 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

If the young lady decides to get herself legal and applies for a UK provisional licence, DVLC records will show that it is due 6 points (2 x speeding). Would she be classed as a “new driver” in the UK and subject to the “new driver” rules which is that if you get 6 points within 2 years you lose your licence?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its really not your business to ask, now is it JG? I'm assuming Lansbury means when my daughter has got the tickets in the UK, not you asking. She has lived in the UK for 12 years (long before she became an adult), she hasn't always had a license, obviously because she wasn't old enough in the first place.

At any rate, its something she will have to deal with. Her insurance company continues to insure her (no it hasn't been 5 years, its a matter of a couple of years) and after talking to her last night, she's a bit more clearer on the accuracy of what has been told to her versus what may be right.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Its really not your business to ask, now is it JG? I'm assuming Lansbury means when my daughter has got the tickets in the UK, not you asking. She has lived in the UK for 12 years (long before she became an adult), she hasn't always had a license, obviously because she wasn't old enough in the first place.

At any rate, its something she will have to deal with. Her insurance company continues to insure her (no it hasn't been 5 years, its a matter of a couple of years) and after talking to her last night, she's a bit more clearer on the accuracy of what has been told to her versus what may be right.
I didn't ask did I?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't ask did I?
No, but then you responded to Lansbury as to the reasons why you haven't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.