Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Urgently need some sensible advice

Urgently need some sensible advice

Old May 15th 2008, 1:28 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Urgently need some sensible advice

As if i havent already had enough emotional turmoil this week, I now have another whopper to deal with. I think my head is going to blow off!

I quit my job last week as i felt i could no longer work with my boss. Purely by coincidence the London office of our company need somoene up tere to do the same job i do here and were delighted when i emailed asking whether they would consder me. I have interview all set up and ready to fly beginning of June.
This afternoon i had a phone call from the director of the company in Australia. I wont reveal who he is, but he is a VERY influential man in this country. He wants me to write an email explaining what my differences were with my boss and said he was very sad i was leaving.
The boss i do not get on with did have the integrity to give London a good reference on my behalf.

I am feling very awkward and uncomfortable about the whole situation.
The truth is that the guy is incompetant with no previous experience in our industry and is a very bad communicator. I think the director has his suspicions and wants me to confirm it otherwise why is he asking me?
I dont want to come across as a corned woman looking for revenge as truly, i am not! I am happy to be going to London!!!
How do i deal with this in a diplomatic fashion without jeopardising the job in London?

Help!
Old May 15th 2008, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgently need some sensible advice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
As if i havent already had enough emotional turmoil this week, I now have another whopper to deal with. I think my head is going to blow off!

I quit my job last week as i felt i could no longer work with my boss. Purely by coincidence the London office of our company need somoene up tere to do the same job i do here and were delighted when i emailed asking whether they would consder me. I have interview all set up and ready to fly beginning of June.
This afternoon i had a phone call from the director of the company in Australia. I wont reveal who he is, but he is a VERY influential man in this country. He wants me to write an email explaining what my differences were with my boss and said he was very sad i was leaving.
The boss i do not get on with did have the integrity to give London a good reference on my behalf.

The truth is that the guy is incompetant with no previous experience in our industry and is a very bad communicator. I think the director has his suspicions and wants me to confirm it otherwise why is he asking me?
I dont want to come across as a corned woman looking for revenge as truly, i am not! I am happy to be going to London!!!
How do i deal with this in a diplomatic fashion without jeopardising the job in London?

Help!
Just say the guy is a knob That's sensible

OK seriously. Just from my experience of training peeps totally unsuitable for the job you are going have to tell the truth diplomatically but counter it with a positive. (Personally I'd rather see the back of incompetent morons but that is not the way business works).

So for example, you said he has no previous experience so you could say something like "I found that because XXX has limited experience in the role we were unable to work towards achieving a mutual satisfactory outcome in (whatever it was). However I do feel that with extra training and support, especially in such a new venture XXX will gain the relevant experience needed to carry out his role"

If he is a bad communicator say something like "XXX would gain confidence from learning some extra communication techniques which would benefit both customers and staff as I felt he was lacking in that area"

You must know some company buzzwords you can use too.

To be honest Flea, I know you want to let rip but just be dignified and show that you have a bit of finesse. You could say "Although XXX and I had our differences (and outline them) we did not let them impact on the other staff. You could mention that you were grateful for the experience of working for a new company but felt you had to move on. You don't need to say why you 'moved on' but this head boss doesn't sound stupid and will surely read between the lines.

Also, your old boss did give you a good reference and you just might need another one.

Personally I hate all this bullturd but that's business for you.

Not sure if this helps much, however I certainly think you should do the email Good luck
Old May 15th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

Help!
I would just try and give him a call back and really explain the situation, but in a little watered down fashion.

If you can avoid putting it into writing. A friendly call with the director may just be the ticket and really explain that it's not the company, etc, but just a difference in opinion on how things are done, etc.

It's one of those situations that you want to be given a full crack at the new opportunity without the old boss trying to mess things up.

Good luck!
Old May 15th 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23

OK seriously. Just from my experience of training peeps totally unsuitable for the job you are going have to tell the truth diplomatically but counter it with a positive. (Personally I'd rather see the back of incompetent morons but that is not the way business works).

So for example, you said he has no previous experience so you could say something like "I found that because XXX has limited experience in the role we were unable to work towards achieving a mutual satisfactory outcome in (whatever it was). However I do feel that with extra training and support, especially in such a new venture XXX will gain the relevant experience needed to carry out his role"

If he is a bad communicator say something like "XXX would gain confidence from learning some extra communication techniques which would benefit both customers and staff as I felt he was lacking in that area"

To be honest Flea, I know you want to let rip but just be dignified and show that you have a bit of finesse. You could say "Although XXX and I had our differences (and outline them) we did not let them impact on the other staff. You could mention that you were grateful for the experience of working for a new company but felt you had to move on. You don't need to say why you 'moved on' but this head boss doesn't sound stupid and will surely read between the lines.

Also, your old boss did give you a good reference and you just might need another one.

Not sure if this helps much, however I certainly think you should do the email Good luck
crystal23,

A very interesting response. I think that I'm probably one of those people that are more at the coal face and don't really have to deal with personel, training or HR. In fact, I think that the last time I dealt with HR was when I got this job.

At first glance on the example you gave was it was management/buzzword speak. However, on second reading it's actually quite good. If I could get away from just doing design work all the time, I might be able to spend more time with management and HR and get an appreciation for the 'other side'.

Thanks.
Old May 15th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of

I think I would write a letter, being diplomatic but honest. However, I would wait until after I was done interviewing, maybe even until after I had been offered/accepted, for the new position.
Old May 16th 2008, 8:42 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23

Thankyou very much Crystal. You post was most helpful. I am not thinking too clearly at the moment and it helped me do it.
Thanks to all of you for your help.

I have done it. Not happy about doing it, but if the top man asks you dont really have a choice do you? I tried to keep things very generalised and not too personal.
Ended it on a high saying i felt he could do a good job with a bit of traiing and skills enhancement.

Phewww... just get me outta here! I am soooooooo over it all.
Old May 16th 2008, 3:10 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I would have to say something if I was you.

Write all the problems that you had so you don't forget anything and be very professional about the matter. Just think that you might make the situation better for the next person who comes along.

You never know the other bosses might not like this person either and could be looking for a reason to let him go if he has caused problems in the past.

Good luck with what you decide. I had a boss that used to pick on me and it is just not nice and there is no need for it, I complained. It did resolve the matter slightly.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:42 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Just be honest..
Old May 17th 2008, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Tell all, only after you get the newjob offer!!
Old May 17th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Tell all, only after you get the newjob offer!!
As a previous poster says, avoid putting anything down in writing if you can help it. What may seem justified now when emotions are running high can look very different over time. Send him an email or call him requesting a one to one and spill all verbally. If he is serious about knowing why you have quit and he wants to do something about it he will understand and accept your request.
If he doesn't then I would suggest if it is not keeping you awake at night move on and let it go.
Just my thoughts and good luck with you decision

(I bet you regret asking now )
Old May 17th 2008, 5:28 pm
Banned

alentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to all

your unbelivable ,maybe become an actress
Old May 17th 2008, 8:24 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by alentejo joe
If you truly believe I would waste my time coming onto an internet forum to make up stories to tell to invisible people I do not know, for no benefit to myself whatsoever, then it is YOU that has "issues".

You are not very well
Old May 18th 2008, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alentejo joe
Hi Flea, do you think this moron might be your old boss this is the second negative post I have read that he/she has placed about you...stalker !!!
Old May 18th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever thought that the problem may not be with your boss but with you?

Anyway, I don't know what you are complaining about, you knew you were going to leave for London before you took the job. You deceived your employer about your intentions in the first place and now you have the audacity to slag off your boss saying he is incompetent, etc.
Old May 18th 2008, 6:26 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
Hi Flea, do you think this moron might be your old boss this is the second negative post I have read that he/she has placed about you...stalker !!!
Now there's a thought!

It is just a regular member who has various aliases created a long time ago knowing they will be doing this sort of thing.
Please note that very often when you get these trolls in here they have joining dates a couple of years old but not many posts. It is probably one maybe two sick individuals with various IDs.
But hey, every forum has them I guess. Best just to feel sorry for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.