Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Urgent - Pet Passport Advice in New York?

Urgent - Pet Passport Advice in New York?

Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

britguy71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent - Pet Passport Advice in New York?

Hi,

I seem to have left everything a bit late and I am worried about this. I have a dog which I would like to fly with me to the UK, on Wednesday from EWR to LHR. I have three problems, two of which are immediate and would love any help if anyone can give it to me:
  1. Does anyone know an Accredited Vet in Manhattan, preferrably walkable from the E 30s? I am with Rivergate and I thought they were accredited but it seems they are not. I would like to do this today.
  2. Where can I get a crate? I have a full-size beagle. Petco does nothing like what I need - they just have cages.
  3. Can anyone recommend a car service to get me out to the USDA by JFK, and indeed to the airport itself when the time comes? One of the few things I hate about New York as it is is the constant back-chat from drivers so if someone has a recommendation, that would be appreciated!

I am also worried about the quality of the paperwork I already have, but that will either sort itself out, or it won't. Does anyone know how much quarantine costs?

If anyone can help I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:46 pm
Banned

IN THE YEAR 2525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent - Pet Passport Advice in New York?

Originally Posted by britguy71
Hi,

I seem to have left everything a bit late and I am worried about this. I have a dog which I would like to fly with me to the UK, on Wednesday from EWR to LHR. I have three problems, two of which are immediate and would love any help if anyone can give it to me:
  1. Does anyone know an Accredited Vet in Manhattan, preferrably walkable from the E 30s? I am with Rivergate and I thought they were accredited but it seems they are not. I would like to do this today.
  2. Where can I get a crate? I have a full-size beagle. Petco does nothing like what I need - they just have cages.
  3. Can anyone recommend a car service to get me out to the USDA by JFK, and indeed to the airport itself when the time comes? One of the few things I hate about New York as it is is the constant back-chat from drivers so if someone has a recommendation, that would be appreciated!

I am also worried about the quality of the paperwork I already have, but that will either sort itself out, or it won't. Does anyone know how much quarantine costs?

Thanks,

Alex
Hi,I can help you on the question regarding dog wanting to fly WEDNESDAY.Your dog will have to have its rabies shots 6 months prior to departure,then the vet has to submit blood samples,by doing this the dog will not have to spend anytime in quarentine.If you take the dog on Wednesday it would have to go into quarentine.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by IN THE YEAR 2525
Hi,I can help you on the question regarding dog wanting to fly WEDNESDAY.Your dog will have to have its rabies shots 6 months prior to departure,then the vet has to submit blood samples,by doing this the dog will not have to spend anytime in quarentine.If you take the dog on Wednesday it would have to go into quarentine.
Obviously I have done that part!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,

Alex

I am sorry but I cannot help with most of your questions but just wondered with access to the internet have you done a search online looking at the area in the UK your are coming to? I would imagine that the prices will vary depending on where in the UK you are planning on living. I have just done a quick search and found plenty of kennels but no prices but they do have contact email or phone. Sorry if you have already tried this It was just a thought (one of the websites mentioned the forms required)

Anna
Old Nov 6th 2004, 1:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously I have done that part!
I don't see it's that obvious. You seem pretty disorganized. You wouldn't be the first person coming on this site asking for help who has missed the most basic of procedures. The responder was only trying to be helpful.

Pet containers are available online - I don't know if they'll deliver to a temporary address, though (I'm assuming you are no longer at your house, or won't be there much longer). Most online companies are suspicious about delivering to an address that doesn't match the credit card details.

Try FuturePet: http://futurepet.com/cgi-bin/search.exe?BP=1&RCAT=100., or PetCo: http://www.petco.com/Productlisting....rd&Dept_ID=143, or Arcata: http://www.arcatapet.com/category.cfm?catnum=48 (I have tried to link you directly to the crate pages - if they don't work, cut off the end of the address, and search from the companies' home pages).

Make sure that, whatever crate you get, it meets size and design requirements of IATA: http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/live_animals/pets.htm
Old Nov 7th 2004, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

QUAFF is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks,

Alex
Try ringing QUAFF in UK on 00441243264173.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by QUAFF
Try ringing QUAFF in UK on 00441243264173.
Will do thanks. I am seeing the USDA vet tomorrow (and I am trying not to rise to the bait but given that I found that I was moving on Wednesday with a week's notice, I think organising a move in that time will be evidence of rather good organisations skills!) and my vet before that. As an update:
  1. My vet is accredited after all so if my rabies jabs and microchip are OK I will get the pet passport from him. The insanity of the NYS vets not being allowed to tell you who is accredited and who isn't is now a moot point. (Second bait-rise: I think the questions were very specifically phrased and weren't "how do I bring a pet into the UK?" but perhaps not. I do appreciate replies anway.)
  2. Petco does have crates - I failed to look up to the top of the shelves! They have feeders and stickers too if that helps anyone else.
  3. Sod Carmel or Tel Aviv - I rented a car. Transport problem solved!

I have two additional quesitons if anyone has any patience left:
  1. I'm not familiar with Jamaica (Queens) addresses. Is 230-59 the same as 23059? MapQuest seems to think it is, but then why bother with the dash? I am planning on getting the bus from Jamaica Center (not so much to get there but because I wouldn't have a hope in hell of finding a cab to get back so I need to know where I'm going) and it's a good mile walk down Rockaway Blvd even then so I don't want to have got the address wrong. Any landmarks? Of course I can phone them but they are doing me a bit of a favour by allowing me to come in person so I don't want to hassle them.
  2. As to quarantine, does anyone have recommendations for the airline? Virgin tell me they won't take my dog without a pet passport even if I explicitly agree that he's going into quarantine. I'm hoping my paranoia that the paperwork isn't quite right is just that, but I would like to be prepared obviously - and the silver lining on quarantine, though it looks like Stalag 19, is that it's cheaper than the dog day-care I'd otherwise be paying... Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Urgent - Pet Passport Advice in New York?

[*]
I have two additional quesitons if anyone has any patience left:
  1. I'm not familiar with Jamaica (Queens) addresses. Is 230-59 the same as 23059? MapQuest seems to think it is, but then why bother with the dash? I am planning on getting the bus from Jamaica Center (not so much to get there but because I wouldn't have a hope in hell of finding a cab to get back so I need to know where I'm going) and it's a good mile walk down Rockaway Blvd even then so I don't want to have got the address wrong. Any landmarks? Of course I can phone them but they are doing me a bit of a favour by allowing me to come in person so I don't want to hassle them.
  2. As to quarantine, does anyone have recommendations for the airline? Virgin tell me they won't take my dog without a pet passport even if I explicitly agree that he's going into quarantine. I'm hoping my paranoia that the paperwork isn't quite right is just that, but I would like to be prepared obviously - and the silver lining on quarantine, though it looks like Stalag 19, is that it's cheaper than the dog day-care I'd otherwise be paying... Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks!
I can't help you with question no.1 but these are the airlines which fly from EWR to LHR:

British Airways (just reduced their flights to 2x per day)

Virgin Atlantic (but you already know that!)

Continental Airlines .....only to LHR on the Virgin Atlantic codeshare flights, otherwise they fly to LGW, Birmingham (BHX) twice daily, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I doubt that you would want to do anything other than a non-stop flight? Other options might be to fly from JFK where you could fly with American Airlines or (I think) United Airlines to London.

See:

http://www.newarkairport.com (with links to the airlines).

For all the New York area airports and ground transportation info here is the website for the Port Authority of NY and NJ which operates the airports...with all the links:

http://www.panynj.com

Good Luck! I hope your company is picking up the tab for the flights, car rental etc. for you and your pooch!

PS: This might be just what you require.....hope this helps:

http://www.continental.com/travel/po...ls/default.asp

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 7th 2004 at 9:49 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I did see a posting on this site recently saying to ensure that the cage has ventillation holes on all 4 sides. Apparently the poster's cage which they purchased from a pet store didnt have rear ventillation holes. The airline were going to refuse the dog however luckily the poster had a drill and was able to add a few holes to the rear of the cage. This could simply be down to induvidual airline but may be worth checking prior to going to the airport. Good Luck to you, the stress of making sure everything is okay for your pooch must be insane!
Old Nov 8th 2004, 1:21 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Get in contact with www.airpets.com. They can arrange to collect your dog from the Airport they are based at Heathrow (10 min car journey) and will arrange all paperwork and give fantastic advice. They offer quarantine facilities and anything else you require also can give airline advice
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I did see a posting on this site recently saying to ensure that the cage has ventillation holes on all 4 sides. Apparently the poster's cage which they purchased from a pet store didnt have rear ventillation holes. The airline were going to refuse the dog however luckily the poster had a drill and was able to add a few holes to the rear of the cage. This could simply be down to induvidual airline but may be worth checking prior to going to the airport. Good Luck to you, the stress of making sure everything is okay for your pooch must be insane!
Yes, I had to drill holes (specific size and spacing) in the back of my crate.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:33 am
Ping-ponger

[*]As to quarantine, does anyone have recommendations for the airline?

Thanks!
I can't speak highly enough of British Airways. They called me when she arrived in Heathrow, and I called the animal center later where they told me they were looking at her happily drinking water and that she was in good shape.

I have heard one or two complaints on this site about BA though.

Coming back to the US she was similarly looked after by BA.

Direct flight is best - no connections.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Just so people know, there is a new form as of the 30th of September! The old Veterinary Services form will not be accepted if issued after that date. You should be fine if it was issued before then. The new ones are in an EU format and must be printed double-sided. If you use the older Veterinary Services form your pet may have to go into quarantine for 48 hours for the flea and tape-worming. Do a Google search for:
"Veterinary certificate for domestic dogs, cats and ferrets entering the European Community for non-commercial movements"
Literally, copy and paste that with the quotes and you should find a few examples. After getting the old-style pet passport yesterday I am back off to Rockaway Blvd again today having found this out making sure I had left no stone left unturned. I'm glad I did... Also note that it has a maximum four month validity. I hope this helps someone.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Just so people know, there is a new form as of the 30th of September! The old Veterinary Services form will not be accepted if issued after that date. You should be fine if it was issued before then. The new ones are in an EU format and must be printed double-sided. If you use the older Veterinary Services form your pet may have to go into quarantine for 48 hours for the flea and tape-worming. Do a Google search for:
"Veterinary certificate for domestic dogs, cats and ferrets entering the European Community for non-commercial movements"
Literally, copy and paste that with the quotes and you should find a few examples. After getting the old-style pet passport yesterday I am back off to Rockaway Blvd again today having found this out making sure I had left no stone left unturned. I'm glad I did... Also note that it has a maximum four month validity. I hope this helps someone.
I meant to add that the USDA is at the back-end of nowhere on Rockaway Blvd but the MapQuest map is accurate. You can get the Q6 bus from Jamaica LIRR down Sufferin Blvd and get off at the McDonald's just before it turns into the JFK cargo area. You then need to carry on down Rockaway Blvd - which is more of a highway by this point, and a safe but not particularly pleasant walk - for about a mile till you get to the "International Airport Center", three large warehouse-type buildings (new with security, it's not sketchy at all). You can get a cab there of course but you won't be getting one back! The USDA is in the middle building and the vet and staff are really great - helpful, friendly, and efficient. If you're pressed for time don't worry about FedExing things to Albany and waiting weeks - it's a five minute on-the-spot service.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:48 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know I was wondering if there was a date of validity. I want to get mine all finished before we leave, but I wouldnt want to find out I did it too early and it would not be valid :scared: Mine have now been microchipped and will get rabies jab Friday. Now does it have to be 30 days, TO THE DAY, that they get the blood test? I want to get it all just right. Thanks for that tip on validity dates Britguy71.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.