Urgent flight help needed

Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice
Default Urgent flight help needed

Hi All,

My Dad has just been admitted into hospital (long term cancer fighter), and really need to get home quickly to support my Mum. Just looked up flights for tomorrow, and the best deal I can seem to find is with hotwire - has anyone used them before? Its a deal where you pay up front and they guarantee you a flight between 6am and 10pm, with 1 or less stops. They give you flight details once purchased.

Any one used them or have any better ideas?

Thanks for your help, not really thinking straight
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:28 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent flight help needed

Originally Posted by NannyAnn
Hi All,

My Dad has just been admitted into hospital (long term cancer fighter), and really need to get home quickly to support my Mum. Just looked up flights for tomorrow, and the best deal I can seem to find is with hotwire - has anyone used them before? Its a deal where you pay up front and they guarantee you a flight between 6am and 10pm, with 1 or less stops. They give you flight details once purchased.

Any one used them or have any better ideas?

Thanks for your help, not really thinking straight
Same thing happened to me last year.
Call the airline direct tell them the situation and that he is seriously ill etc they will get you on a discount compassionate flight..

Where is home tell me the area and I can tell you the airline I worked in the airline industry on and off for years.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Really depends on where you are going from an too.

Some of the airlines do compassionate fares, have a search there was a thead about it a few months back.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice

Going from any New York airports, preferably Newark, flying to any London airports, preferably Heathrow.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that idea
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:33 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I flew KLM/Northwest into Norwich I called at about 10am they had me on the flight out of Chicago at 3pm that afternoon straight into Norwich via holland and I had to travel 2 hours to O'Hare or they would of put me on an earlier flight..
Hang in there my heart goes out to you
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:35 am

Going from any New York airports, preferably Newark, flying to any London airports, preferably Heathrow.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that idea
Well you have that in your favor then any major airline I know that Virgin and BA really discount try them 1st...
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Well you have that in your favor then any major airline I know that Virgin and BA really discount try them 1st...
Ok will do, thanks so much
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:45 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Urgent flight help needed

Your avatar says you're from New Jersey so I guess you'll be flying from Newark?

Airlines are:

BA and Virgin Atlantic to Heathrow

Continental to: London Gatwick, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast (all are daily flights I believe). Continental codeshares with Virgin into LHR, you may have a CO ticket but fly on a Virgin plane. Likewise with Virgin out of LGW, you go on a Continental plane.

My experience when I had to fly urgently to the UK when my mother-in-law was dying was this: I phoned BA and told them the reason for needing to fly urgently. They asked for the name of the hospital and contact phone number. I was given a massively discounted price, much less than the fare on the BA website, Orbitz, Expedia etc.

I've heard of cases where people have purchased the ticket at the high rate (or sometimes the airline asks passengers to do this) but then sent in evidence afterwards (eg. death certificate) and then got a refund to bring the fare down to the cheapest rate. BA doesn't offer 'compassionate fares' as such but they do reduce the price for genuinely urgent reasons. I understand that Virgin also does this.

Do phone their call centres right now!

BA: 1-800-247-9297

Virgin: 1-800-862-8621

Continental: 1-800-525-0280

Silverjet to Luton (biz class only airline)

Good Luck and I do hope that you can bring some comfort to your parents at this difficult time.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

LadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud of

How long you planning on staying????
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:49 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Urgent flight help needed

Originally Posted by LadyKat1974
It doesn't matter very much if on compassionate grounds; in our case BA allowed one free change of the return flight date without having to pay the re-booking charge (usually $100) as they know that one can't really make a firm commitment as to the date of return to the US.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LadyKat1974
Wow, thanks so much for all that info Englishmum, I will call them as soon as my husband gets back from his football match (sorry, 'soccer'). You're a star, thanks.

Not sure how long I'm planning on staying, could be quite a while I guess. Maybe 10 days or so? He was scheduled to have surgery on friday anyway, but has been admitted with severe jaundice as the tumour is stopping the bile do what its supposed to. He has malignant melenoma by the way, that has spread, and now has a huge tumour in his tummy.

I feel so far away :-(
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

LadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud of

My prayers are with you an your family at this time. If you need anything don't hesitate to post another message. I was asking how long she was staying so I could look up availbility of seats on flights. I have access to seats that are nonpublished on general websites as I am studying to become a travel agent.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks so much for all that info Englishmum, I will call them as soon as my husband gets back from his football match (sorry, 'soccer'). You're a star, thanks.

Not sure how long I'm planning on staying, could be quite a while I guess. Maybe 10 days or so? He was scheduled to have surgery on friday anyway, but has been admitted with severe jaundice as the tumour is stopping the bile do what its supposed to. He has malignant melenoma by the way, that has spread, and now has a huge tumour in his tummy.

I feel so far away :-(
Thoughts are with you & your family. Not a great reason to make the trip, but one we Expats have to do.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:02 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts and prayers are with you..
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Urgent flight help needed

Read about my experience purchasing compassionate fares here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...assionate+fare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.