Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Upon UK arrival check list help please

Upon UK arrival check list help please

Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default Upon UK arrival check list help please

Hi,

I have completed my checklist for leaving OZ. Just need help with the checklist for returning and going back. Have I missed anything ?

I will be returning on my own with my daughter who is 7. I will have a place to live for a few months and money to live off.

I have notify XXX of return not sure who with (any help would be great)
Set up bank account.
Register my daughter again not sure who with to get first time in the UK. Will be on a UK passport!
Go and view schools selected and choose
Buy car - get it insured.
Get phone unlocked and get some credit.
Get a job - applying here already. Hope to be back mid July.
Apply for private health care.
Register with a local doctor and dentist.
See a financial planner/accountant re pension overseas and shares ? Tax implications.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upon UK arrival check list help please

Electoral roll
Job Centre Plus for your child benefit etc.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:52 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

I have completed my checklist for leaving OZ. Just need help with the checklist for returning and going back. Have I missed anything ?

I will be returning on my own with my daughter who is 7. I will have a place to live for a few months and money to live off.

I have notify XXX of return not sure who with (any help would be great)
Set up bank account.
Register my daughter again not sure who with to get first time in the UK. Will be on a UK passport!
Go and view schools selected and choose
Buy car - get it insured.
Get phone unlocked and get some credit.
Get a job - applying here already. Hope to be back mid July.
Apply for private health care.
Register with a local doctor and dentist.
See a financial planner/accountant re pension overseas and shares ? Tax implications.
If you are returning to the UK permanently, not sure why you would want private health - most people don't unless it's included as part of employment package.

With schools, the end of the school year is mid July so you may not be able to see any before the summer hols depending on when you arrive back. If it's possible to make the trip earlier it might be worthwhile. May also be worth contacting the education dept at the local council if you know what area you are returning too - they may be able to help if you are after the end of the school year.

You should be able to request an unlock code from your current supplier before leaving Australia - in the UK if you ask, they will supply the unlock code for free which saves paying. If not, there are some cheap PAYG from places like Tescos

If you are not working when arriving back, have a look at claiming child benefit - not sure on all the rules but have a look here - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/

That's all I can think of - hope it helps
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thank you, I have recently been home as my dad is critically ill and trust me private health will be great, seeing how he has been treated and I like the benefits.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact HMRC when you get back.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Should be able to see schools and apply with the LEA easily. You can email them in advance when you know your dates too. I had a tour of a school when we just over for a visit with no issues. You can apply as soon as you have a physical address, for our region, they aim to process within 6 weeks. Definitely worth getting onto it ASAP when you land.

Child benefit is fairly quick I believe, because pretty much every child legally resident qualifies, some of the others take longer.