British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   An update..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/update-756337/)

Kapri Apr 27th 2012 8:15 pm

Re: An update.....

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool (Post 10029800)
Nice aircraft. The most amazing thing is the cocktail bar at the rear. :thumbsup:

You've sold it to me :lol:

slapphead_otool Apr 27th 2012 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 10029823)
You've sold it to me :lol:

These photos will:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...R_1897705b.jpg

http://content.emirates.com/us/engli...272-684971.jpg

http://resources0.news.com.au/images...rates-a380.gif

Dorothy Apr 27th 2012 8:24 pm

Those leather couches in that top photo? That's where I intend to fall into a drunken coma on my way home. :)

scottishcelts Apr 28th 2012 1:38 am

Oh yes :thumbsup:

slapphead_otool Apr 28th 2012 2:40 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 10030112)
Oh yes :thumbsup:

If only I could get you on that leather seat ......

Kapri Apr 28th 2012 4:24 am

I like! :lol:

Luthien Apr 29th 2012 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by discobay (Post 10027965)
Just need to update your BE signature location.
If I was in the UK I'd be buying an old Mini as a 3rd car!

Husband restored a 1966 Cooper s - red with white roof. Loved driving that car:D.
He says the new mini's are not really mini's but BMWs :cool:

quoll Apr 29th 2012 7:48 pm

Welcome home Chris and Family!!!!

We were over in the West for a few days - yesterday's weather was interesting (gale force and constant rain) on the drive back up the M4 but we had a fabulous time - from Lyme Regis (Oh, I could live there!) right up to Hay on Wye (mention a second hand bookshop and the DH will want to stay forever LOL). Even Bristol was OK and we both regret that we sold our home in Bristol when we left even though the area is a bit rundown - we should have rented!!!

Hope you can find a home and cars and all that palaver in quick time!

Famous 5 Apr 29th 2012 10:38 pm

Chris, congratulations on making it back to the UK - I hope everything works out for you and your family.

I am rather jealous that you will be enjoying a British spring and summer, although my OH is in the UK at the moment and he has been a bit surprised by the gales and driving rain. On previous visits we have always had great weather so this must be his punishment for sneaking in a visit without the rest of the family!

Please keep posting on BE from time to time to let us know how you are getting on.

Kapri Apr 30th 2012 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Famous 5 (Post 10032745)
I am rather jealous that you will be enjoying a British spring and summer, although my OH is in the UK at the moment and he has been a bit surprised by the gales and driving rain.

The weather here is atrocious at the moment! But we're officially in drought :lol:

sallysimmons Apr 30th 2012 10:10 am

chris, I had no idea you were home also. I've been back just over 2 weeks now and I'm loving it. The beauty of the weather here is that the crap weather really makes you appreciate the good days. Today I woke up and the sun was shining and it felt like Christmas after 3 days of driving rain. That's not a feeling you ever get in New York.

We've also met nothing but nice people from the neighbors to the shop assistants to the guy who just sold us a new car. I see nothing of the doom and gloom here - just a lot of kind, funny people having a good laugh. I am in heaven :)

morayeel Apr 30th 2012 2:51 pm

glad to hear things are going well. I will return to the UK tomorrow after a number of year in the states.

JustBecause May 1st 2012 9:31 am

We arrived back on the 24th too, via Etihad. Been staying with my parents in Whitstable & I've been getting high on the British way on life - I'm really enjoying it before it gets to be everyday again!

Walking through Whitstable it felt so vibrant, charming & full of character that it almost felt as if I were in some kind of theme park! I was duly enthralled at my first spotting of bluebells & have been drooling at the pubs (got a 3mth old so unfortunately can't properly indulge yet). Today I spent 3hrs in Tesco oohing & aahing my way along the aisles, & yes, gorging on the treats we missed. The variety seemed almost obscene after the horrors of Coles/Woolies/Franklins. Granted the weather was atrocious for a couple of days but the novelty of being warm & cosy inside the house when cold outside was nice!

Currently also looking for cars & a house on Rightmove. The names of car models seem to have got even more ridiculous over the last five years - currrently hiring a Nissan QashQai but I wanted to refuse it for being so ludicrously spelt!

MissBetty May 1st 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by JustBecause (Post 10036131)
We arrived back on the 24th too, via Etihad. Been staying with my parents in Whitstable & I've been getting high on the British way on life - I'm really enjoying it before it gets to be everyday again!

Walking through Whitstable it felt so vibrant, charming & full of character that it almost felt as if I were in some kind of theme park! I was duly enthralled at my first spotting of bluebells & have been drooling at the pubs (got a 3mth old so unfortunately can't properly indulge yet). Today I spent 3hrs in Tesco oohing & aahing my way along the aisles, & yes, gorging on the treats we missed. The variety seemed almost obscene after the horrors of Coles/Woolies/Franklins. Granted the weather was atrocious for a couple of days but the novelty of being warm & cosy inside the house when cold outside was nice!

Currently also looking for cars & a house on Rightmove. The names of car models seem to have got even more ridiculous over the last five years - currrently hiring a Nissan QashQai but I wanted to refuse it for being so ludicrously spelt!

I love Whitstable! My aunty lives in Herne Bay so have been there quite a few times.

Can't wait to get back to the UK and good old Brighton, first Xmas with my famliy for 5 years and I can't wait :) I was back in Nov last year and my Mum couldn't get me out of Tescos, especially when I saw they had Piper Heidsieck rose champagne for £20 a bottle - lady fainted in aisle 12!!!! Lol!

Loved reading your post, congrats on your move back, 6 months and I will have my Aussie passport, finished my post grad and I will be home - and straight down Tescos for champagne and Jaffa Cakes - hurrah!! :thumbsup:

chris955 May 1st 2012 8:16 pm

Oh yes the Night Safari was an absolute must as was the Zoo, the highlight was seeing Slow Loris which are my wifes favourite animal, the Zoo is the best I have ever been to. Singapore isn't the cheap destination it used to be but well worth it.
Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10029782)
Welcome Home to Chris and Family.....did you go on the night Safari in Singapore....we thought it was wonderful even with the heaviest rain I have every experienced...yes even more than Manchester lol...just try and take your time with everything...I found when I tried to arrange things as quickly as I could (to make a home etc esp for everyone) it got stressful and I did think then "what have we done" kind of thing. Good luck with everything...Take care