Update

Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update

For those who still remember us (I know it has been an awfully long time):

Moved back to the UK from Canada in May 2004. Both, hubby and I, got back to our old jobs. Since then, he's got a different job, and so did I. Returning to the old job was great in terms of how easy it was to settle back in, but very quickly I realised that my reasons for leaving are still there. Now, I've landed an absolutely fantastic job two months ago and love it! Our daughter, as it turns out, fell behind in maths incredibly during our 16 months spell in Canada, but with hard work she managed to get ahead now, so all is well. Our dog had to have three months in quarantine, but is fine now, and obviously still living with us (would he prefer otherwise?).

Love being back in England. Still waking up every morning thinking: I am HOME!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update

its nice to hear of successful returns, without the regret and ping ponging going on. glad you feel settled and iM sure it helps a lot of people who read this forum that things can turn out ok
best wishes
Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:10 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexandra

Moved back to the UK from Canada in May 2004. Both, hubby and I, got back to our old jobs. Since then, he's got a different job, and so did I. Returning to the old job was great in terms of how easy it was to settle back in, but very quickly I realised that my reasons for leaving are still there. Now, I've landed an absolutely fantastic job two months ago and love it! Our daughter, as it turns out, fell behind in maths incredibly during our 16 months spell in Canada, but with hard work she managed to get ahead now, so all is well. Our dog had to have three months in quarantine, but is fine now, and obviously still living with us (would he prefer otherwise?).

Love being back in England. Still waking up every morning thinking: I am HOME!!!!

Hi Alexandra

I remember you....weren't we all going to meet up for an returnee expat meet in London? I know it never happened we all seem to be scattered all around the UK.

Anyway its great to hear you are still happy here....Cheers

P
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember you as I wasn't reading this forum back then but thanks for popping in with an update, and such a reassuring one for the current "gang" of wannabe-returnees! It's good to hear that things can go well and that you are still glad to be home every day.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pants, of course, I remember you too. We did plan a picnic, but then it all went out of shape, but hey, we still can manage next summer, what do you think? I can't believe I am still gushing after well over a year back home, but I am. OK, not all the time, but sometimes I just look around and think: London... home... great! Merry Christmas everyone, and for those who are planning to move back, here is a wise Russian proverb for you: at home, even the walls help you. They do, I can vouch for that.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to read the ones that go back are happy I'm sure we will be to in 2007, always dreaming of waking up back home.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:26 am

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

We are coming home next year - your comments have really spurred me on!

Thanks
Simon
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:43 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Pants, of course, I remember you too. We did plan a picnic, but then it all went out of shape, but hey, we still can manage next summer, what do you think? I can't believe I am still gushing after well over a year back home, but I am. OK, not all the time, but sometimes I just look around and think: London... home... great! Merry Christmas everyone, and for those who are planning to move back, here is a wise Russian proverb for you: at home, even the walls help you. They do, I can vouch for that.
Hey Alexandra its good to hear how happy you are. It would be great to have an expat returnee picnic. I bet its brilliant up in London with all the christmas lights etc. Enjoy and stay happy and keep in touch.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry settled Christmas
P x
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merry Christmas to you, Pants, and to your family too. NewCalgarian, you'll be just fine when you return, just go for it. And we will have that picnic (in May-June, I will set something up).

Originally Posted by Pants
Hey Alexandra its good to hear how happy you are. It would be great to have an expat returnee picnic. I bet its brilliant up in London with all the christmas lights etc. Enjoy and stay happy and keep in touch.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry settled Christmas
P x
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:28 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hey I remember you, and the meeting in London that was mentioned.

Glad you are loving it back here. We love it too. Been back for 18 months now feels like we've never been away. We stayed 16 months in Oz and it felt like forever!!!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky lucky you, home is where the heart is and I'm so looking fwd to the day I return home to the good old UK...pleased you took your four legged friend, so many get left behind for various reasons..here's to a wonderful 2006 to you and the family, it certainly looks like it'll get off to a good start
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I remember! Glad its working out well for you guys. Hope you are taking full advantage of the freedom to drink alcohol in public places
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Hey I remember! Glad its working out well for you guys. Hope you are taking full advantage of the freedom to drink alcohol in public places
Well, Iain, what can I say... We tried our best during summer, had picnic at every opportunity. Now it's a little bit cold for that, so we confine ourselves to pubs and our flat. totally offtopic, but kind of funny: Last summer, at about 21.30 or so, my half and I are standing outside our house, smoking (given up already). Two girls walk by and one of them asks: sorry, do you know how could we get to Windsor? Slightly bewildered, my half started explaining that maybe it's a little late for tourist attractions... I am trying to think of the best possible route to Windsor from Kensington.... Yeah, you guessed it. They were looking for our next door pub, The Windsor.

Continuing offtopic: TruBrit, we would have never left the dog behind. Actually, he is getting on a bit now, he is 8 years old, he gets annoyed sometimes and grumpy like an old man. And, dare I say it, a little incontinent, but we can deal with it. Aaah. Poor darling. I think he's gone a little mental as well, it's like his brains shifted a bit: he looks guilty first, then proceeds to create a small ocean in our hallway, then gets happy again. The order is slightly wrong, normally it should be: ocean, guilty, happy. Or happy, ocean, guilty.