Reload this Page >

Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Old Jan 9th 2005, 10:34 pm
Banned

Karl69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Hi

Me and my wife have been in Toronto Canada for almost 3 years, we have bought a house and my wife is working as a school teacher. We have found the experience very difficult. I came as an experienced IT person and have found it very difficult to secure a job here. Nobody is willing to give you a break. All they are looking for is Canadian experience. Since I have got here I have had a few jobs as admin work, paying very low salaries compared to the salary I was getting in UK.

My wife on the other hand has secured a perm job. However, we are very homesick but are very confused about going back because of the ridiculous house prices in the UK.

Was this really worth it?
It has been nice to leave the UK for a while but looking back, we left a lovely home, secure jobs, cars etc. Social life here is not the same, you have to make an appointment to visit any friends!! Some people are very rude and I don't think that Canadians have any culture let alone any dress sense as compared to the U.K.

Why did we move here?
Maybe we thought that the grass was greener on the other side. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the open space and big houses although the house prices are pretty high here too.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

gem03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Originally Posted by Karl69
Hi

Me and my wife have been in Toronto Canada for almost 3 years, we have bought a house and my wife is working as a school teacher. We have found the experience very difficult. I came as an experienced IT person and have found it very difficult to secure a job here. Nobody is willing to give you a break. All they are looking for is Canadian experience. Since I have got here I have had a few jobs as admin work, paying very low salaries compared to the salary I was getting in UK.

My wife on the other hand has secured a perm job. However, we are very homesick but are very confused about going back because of the ridiculous house prices in the UK.

It has been nice to leave the UK for a while but looking back, we left a lovely home, secure jobs, cars etc. Social life here is not the same, you have to make an appointment to visit any friends!! Some people are very rude and I don't think that Canadians have any culture let alone any dress sense as compared to the U.K.

Why did we move here?
Maybe we thought that the grass was greener on the other side. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the open space and big houses although the house prices are pretty high here too.

Hi Karl

We lived in t.O for 5 years and I can relate to what you are saying. We returned home in July 04 and we have no regrets. We found it to be a great place at first but found the weather in winter just to much. Like you we found the lack of culture and social life a bore.

lots and lots of space
they are easy going
very clean
great summer
house prices

Hate:

work work work
little hol time
hard to travel as it is a hugh country and airfares are a joke
they have NO sense of humor
try shopping for shoes - a joke
cold cold winters and you don't see a anyone out
they try to tell you that the UK has colder winters
canadain experience - what bullshite
not the choice of food and it can be very expensive in the winter months eg fruit and veg, I love the markets here
lack of places to go for a day trip eg if you live in london you can hit alot of coasts for a great day out.

Any way they are just my thoughts and can say with hand on heart that I could not wait to leave the UK, but we have settled back into things and I love it.
Come back to the UK for a hol and see what you think!
Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:44 pm
Banned

Karl69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gem
Hi Karl

We lived in t.O for 5 years and I can relate to what you are saying. We returned home in July 04 and we have no regrets. We found it to be a great place at first but found the weather in winter just to much. Like you we found the lack of culture and social life a bore.

lots and lots of space
they are easy going
very clean
great summer
house prices

Hate:

work work work
little hol time
not the choice of food and it can be very expensive in the winter months eg fruit and veg, I love the markets here
lack of places to go for a day trip eg if you live in london you can hit alot of coasts for a great day out.

Any way they are just my thoughts and can say with hand on heart that I could not wait to leave the UK, but we have settled back into things and I love it.

Thanks Gem

I agree with you totally, need to sell my house by June 05.

I am thinking about moving to Reading Berks as I have a job waiting in London.

What is Reading like?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Thanks Gem

What is Reading like?
Hi Karl

We just moved from Reading to Canada last April. We are currently in London Ontario. I am a primary teacher and I'd be really interested to hear how your wife compares teaching in Ontario to the UK. My qualifications are currently being looked at by the OCT so haven't been able to teach here yet.

As far as Reading is concerned, we loved living there. We lived in the Earley area for almost 7 years. We had an excellent Doctor's practice two minutes away from us - we haven't been able to find a family doctor here so far!

Reading has some very good schools - quite a few job opportunities too. In my opinion, my children were getting a far superior/professional education than they are here but I suppose it depends on the individual school etc.

There are some great areas to live in and around Reading - Earley, Lower Earley, Caversham, Woodley. Avoid Whitley.

Reading is a great historic town with an easy commute to London - 25 mins to Paddington on the train. The town centre has improved dramatically in the last few years with the building of the 'Oracle' - a new shopping centre, although it has a great high street with all the shops you could possibly want. It can get pretty packed at the weekend because of the great shopping facilities. There are also all the retail parks surrounding the town that you could want so shopping is not a problem!

There are plenty of recreational facilities too - swimming, leisure centres, gyms, cinema, theatre etc. and you are not far from the countryside no matter which part of Reading you live in.

Now I am homesick!! We miss living there and our friends etc. and have certainly suffered from culture shock etc. since moving to Canada. My husband finally got a job after 6 months of nothing - he is a chartered accountant. His job here involves alot less pay and less holidays than his job in Reading, plus everyone seems to live for their job here as jobs are so hard to come by. My husband had no problems finding work in the UK and had his choice of jobs so that has been difficult to live with. There aren't many teaching jobs here either by all accounts!

We expected Canada to be of a similar standard to the UK in terms of education and health with the added advantage of more space, larger house, better summer/winter etc. than the UK. However, we have found it less advanced than we thought and people's attitudes are not as progressive/forward thinking than they were where we lived in Reading.

In saying all that though, we are now becoming a bit more settled here and are going to give it until summer 2006 before we make up our minds about whether to stay here or go back to the UK. If we do go back, it will be to Reading!!

Better go.

Chris
Old Jan 17th 2005, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

On a far less comprehensive reply than Chris, I can tell you that my friend moved to Reading about a year ago and really likes it. She is impressed about the shopping and also how easy it is to get to London where she works. She only knew her boyfriend but has in no time made friends in the area. I have yet to visit her but I know she was more than happy with her move there.

Maybe it would be good for some of the people in the UK to live away for a period of time to make them realise that not only is the UK, in the main, a great country to live but also to realise that every country has its issues to deal with. Some people from the UK are so nieve that they like to look negatively on everything and say thats crap here, but they think that by moving to another country life will be so easy and great.

After living in the US for 2 years I have grown to like where I am, however it never ceases to amaze me how harsh a society this can be. If you dont work hard enough, your sacked, you get very few paid holiday days, no paid maternity leave, some of my friends dont get sick pay, extortionate health care and education costs. There are no real governments benefits to protect the poor. It is possible to earn great money here but you have got to really work at it. It also takes a while to get used to being part of a different culture. On the other hand U.K/european culture is so much more tollerant and giving, life is more geared towards family first and work second. (there are exceptions to this obviously). Emigration is all about the induvidual, some may like it others not, however if everyone that felt they had it bad at home tried to live overseas for a while maybe it would make them feel more settled about their home and not so ready to believe everything they read in the tabloids.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladylisa
On a far less comprehensive reply than Chris, I can tell you that my friend moved to Reading about a year ago and really likes it. She is impressed about the shopping and also how easy it is to get to London where she works. She only knew her boyfriend but has in no time made friends in the area. I have yet to visit her but I know she was more than happy with her move there.

Maybe it would be good for some of the people in the UK to live away for a period of time to make them realise that not only is the UK, in the main, a great country to live but also to realise that every country has its issues to deal with. Some people from the UK are so nieve that they like to look negatively on everything and say thats crap here, but they think that by moving to another country life will be so easy and great.

After living in the US for 2 years I have grown to like where I am, however it never ceases to amaze me how harsh a society this can be. If you dont work hard enough, your sacked, you get very few paid holiday days, no paid maternity leave, some of my friends dont get sick pay, extortionate health care and education costs. There are no real governments benefits to protect the poor. It is possible to earn great money here but you have got to really work at it. It also takes a while to get used to being part of a different culture. On the other hand U.K/european culture is so much more tollerant and giving, life is more geared towards family first and work second. (there are exceptions to this obviously). Emigration is all about the induvidual, some may like it others not, however if everyone that felt they had it bad at home tried to live overseas for a while maybe it would make them feel more settled about their home and not so ready to believe everything they read in the tabloids.
I agree. Living abroad can certainly make you appreciate home more. We lived in Kuwait for a couple of years and I felt much more 'free' when I touched down in Heathrow!! It is good to hear that despite recognising the negative aspects of living in the US, you have grown to like living there after 2 years.

I am keeping an open mind about Canada. My first instinct was to return to the UK but now that we have been here for almost 10 months, I am finally feeling like it could possibly work out long term, despite recognising the negative aspects of living here.

We originally set out to live here permanently which made me feel more trapped. Now though, we are looking at it as a 2 year placement with the option of staying afterwards. The winter hasn't been as bad as I was expecting so far although I am definitely looking forward to summer too. We are also now beginning to make friends which helps. It is much less crowded, the traffic is better here in London Ont and we can make it to the great lakes within an hour of traffic free driving so it's not all bad by a long shot. We can also afford to live in a much larger house than in Reading although that certainly isn't the be all and end all.

I can identify with everything that has been said about Canada - our friends in the UK have been shocked when we have told them how hard it has been - their image of Canada has certainly been tainted! Hopefully they will still come and visit!!

Anyway, I am back to rambling so I'd better hop off again.

Chris
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
Hi Karl

We just moved from Reading to Canada last April. We are currently in London Ontario. I am a primary teacher and I'd be really interested to hear how your wife compares teaching in Ontario to the UK. My qualifications are currently being looked at by the OCT so haven't been able to teach here yet.

As far as Reading is concerned, we loved living there. We lived in the Earley area for almost 7 years. We had an excellent Doctor's practice two minutes away from us - we haven't been able to find a family doctor here so far!

Reading has some very good schools - quite a few job opportunities too. In my opinion, my children were getting a far superior/professional education than they are here but I suppose it depends on the individual school etc.

There are some great areas to live in and around Reading - Earley, Lower Earley, Caversham, Woodley. Avoid Whitley.

Reading is a great historic town with an easy commute to London - 25 mins to Paddington on the train. The town centre has improved dramatically in the last few years with the building of the 'Oracle' - a new shopping centre, although it has a great high street with all the shops you could possibly want. It can get pretty packed at the weekend because of the great shopping facilities. There are also all the retail parks surrounding the town that you could want so shopping is not a problem!

There are plenty of recreational facilities too - swimming, leisure centres, gyms, cinema, theatre etc. and you are not far from the countryside no matter which part of Reading you live in.

Now I am homesick!! We miss living there and our friends etc. and have certainly suffered from culture shock etc. since moving to Canada. My husband finally got a job after 6 months of nothing - he is a chartered accountant. His job here involves alot less pay and less holidays than his job in Reading, plus everyone seems to live for their job here as jobs are so hard to come by. My husband had no problems finding work in the UK and had his choice of jobs so that has been difficult to live with. There aren't many teaching jobs here either by all accounts!

We expected Canada to be of a similar standard to the UK in terms of education and health with the added advantage of more space, larger house, better summer/winter etc. than the UK. However, we have found it less advanced than we thought and people's attitudes are not as progressive/forward thinking than they were where we lived in Reading.

In saying all that though, we are now becoming a bit more settled here and are going to give it until summer 2006 before we make up our minds about whether to stay here or go back to the UK. If we do go back, it will be to Reading!!

Better go.

Chris

However, we have found it less advanced than we thought and people's attitudes are not as progressive/forward thinking than they were where we lived in Reading.
I was smiling reading this...what an understatement We have relatives in Ontario and my husband and I always said that the people there are more British then the British..a bit stuck in time so to say.
We decided then that this was not for us...a big house is not everything..even do I would love to have one

Still smiling
Eurotramp
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

bold is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Unsuccessful Canadian Move

Hi Karl,

My family and I moved to Toront last fall and we are looking a house. I said you are selling your house? Give me infor, please.

Thanks

Thanks Gem

What is Reading like?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:02 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gem
Hi Karl

lots and lots of space
they are easy going
very clean
great summer
house prices

Hate:

work work work
little hol time

Oh how terrible you finding it difficult to buy shoes !
And Canada is cold in winter ? You learn something new every day !!!
Nice days out at Southend or Bognor Regis , now thats culture
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:23 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
It always amazes me to read posts like this. People (especially poms) cannot wait to move to another country and once there, they seem flabbergasted that the new country is not like the UK. Why did you expect it to be?
To say things like "no culture", "no dress sense", "the food is no good", etc, etc, that just shows that you are an isolated lot. You believe all other countries to be like yours. You know, we think exactly the same think about you........

I have lived in Australia for 22 years and I loved the place from day one! I would never ever move back to backward boring old europe again.
I think it is quite natural for many people to experience a sense of culture shock and compare things in their adopted country with their homeland. Relocating for any period of time to another country means we have to adapt to where we find ourselves.

I am pleased Australia has worked for you but this will never be everyone's experience. I have lived in three different but in some ways similar countries, New Zealand (my homeland), Australia, and briefly in the UK.

Australia doesn't suit me in that I find the heat and the indifference of people and the lack of friendliness quite depressing. New Zealand is a great place in many ways but life has become harder for people there since the late 80's.

So I look forward to the day when I will move to the UK and this time experience more of its culture and its people, and have the advantage of visiting (or maybe even living for a while in) europe.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Back on subject...

Reading..... Lived there for about 10 years, married and had 4 kids there. Left in 1997 to move to California USA.

Reading has it's nice areas definately. Whitley and the Oxford Road area are the places to avoid. Caversham, Lower Earley, Woodley nice areas, and if you like city living there are some nice areas more central to reading in the main town.

We found the education to be good, health care also excellent. Shopping is great, especially now as they have a huge Mall with cinema, and restaurants.

Job opportunities are definately there, and IT positions highly available depending on your area and skills.

We moved back to the UK last July.. Hubby works in Theale just outside Reading. We live in Langley near Slough.... I would move back to Reading in a heartbeat, but we have family here in Langley so are staying here. Just a 40 min car journey to Reading anyway, and it saves money as I am a bit of a shopaholic... LOL

here's a couple of links.

http://www.reading-guide.co.uk/
http://www.getreading.co.uk/
http://www.ashleycharles.com/
http://www.berkshire.nhs.uk/expatriate-info/
http://www.reading.gov.uk/Index.asp

As far as moving to another country and not liking it... Don't listen to the negative comments.... An experience is growth in life. Feel good you have tried... Everyone is different and has likes and dislikes and lifestyle choices different to the next person.... Follow your dreams, wants and needs, and feel proud you are experiencing life....

Good luck to you.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:37 pm
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all

Hi

Why did we move here?

Why the h-e-l-l did you move to Canada of all places? You should of gone to the USA..............I've been here 6 years now and I love it. Even if I wanted to move back to UK(and I don't), I couldn't afford the price of houses and the general cost of living even if I found a good paying job similar to what I have in the states now. Why don't you investigate Vancouver as an alternative for IT jobs or try and see about perhaps getting sponsorship to work in the states.
I actually live just south of the Canadian Border in Vermont and I experience a little of what it is like to live in Canada most weeks when I go shopping..........it seems that the Canadians are taxed to death
Old Feb 27th 2005, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

End of a Dream is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO this is not 'Unsuccessful'. Three years is a sucess, you've been there, done that, worn the T Shirt. If its time to go home, so be it, but you will come back better people.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

laceybank is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I think it is quite natural for many people to experience a sense of culture shock and compare things in their adopted country with their homeland. Relocating for any period of time to another country means we have to adapt to where we find ourselves.

I am pleased Australia has worked for you but this will never be everyone's experience. I have lived in three different but in some ways similar countries, New Zealand (my homeland), Australia, and briefly in the UK.

Australia doesn't suit me in that I find the heat and the indifference of people and the lack of friendliness quite depressing. New Zealand is a great place in many ways but life has become harder for people there since the late 80's.

So I look forward to the day when I will move to the UK and this time experience more of its culture and its people, and have the advantage of visiting (or maybe even living for a while in) europe.
What people have to realise is that these third world countries (Canada, Australia and New Zealand) cannot be compared to the UK!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:39 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laceybank
What people have to realise is that these third world countries (Canada, Australia and New Zealand) cannot be compared to the UK!
I Take it you are a Pom living in "Blighty". Make mine a pint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.