Wikiposts

University/Mortgage

Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:27 am
Just Joined

nivlug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University/Mortgage

My first post - yeh!!!

Here's the deal. Been living in Beijing for 10 years and kids are now 13 and 11 years old. We're all British citizens having been born in the UK.

With their university future in mind, the three-year rule is forcing us back.

Am I right in thinking that I have to move back now so that the kids can pay the 'home fees' rate when they enter uni or am I misinformed?

Also, can we apply for a UK mortage from overseas even before we move back? Having worked for the same company for the last 7 years this should count for something.

Thanks so much.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University/Mortgage

Originally Posted by nivlug
My first post - yeh!!!

Here's the deal. Been living in Beijing for 10 years and kids are now 13 and 11 years old. We're all British citizens having been born in the UK.

With their university future in mind, the three-year rule is forcing us back.

Am I right in thinking that I have to move back now so that the kids can pay the 'home fees' rate when they enter uni or am I misinformed?

Also, can we apply for a UK mortage from overseas even before we move back? Having worked for the same company for the last 7 years this should count for something.

Thanks so much.
Not necessarily now, but early enough so they have been livnig in the UK for 3 years before starting university.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685793
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice
Default Re: University/Mortgage

I had no problem with the three year rule (albeit 7-8 years ago) by providing proof that my two kids were absent from the UK during the three years prior to university because of my temporary absence from UK for work. But every case is unique. But if you were sent overseas by a UK employer it helps. Also that you have maintained significant links to the UK to show a determination to return. Temporary is not about how long, but some universities use ten years as a yardstick. Others are more flexible. Some refuse to accept this at all.

Of course you avoid this by returning to UK to live. But don't forget, even if for example you only move back two years beforehand you can still "state your case" for exemption ( i.e. you have returned thus adding significant weight to your argument that your absence from UK was temporary) or at the very least miss out on one year and then switch to home status.

UK mortgages are tough to secure when overseas. I had a mortgage on a UK property from an off-shore bank but I was not allowed to move to UK to live in it, go figure!!! When I did my research at the time I did try Barclays. They have an international Banking Division in London that deals with this type of application. You can find a link to this on their website I'm sure. Expect tough conditions, like high % downpayment.

The situation is even worse if you wait until your return to UK as you will have no UK credit history.

I do not work for any bank, but may I suggest that you check out HSBC. They have branches in Beijing. You then are able to easily open up a UK account and transfer credit history (within the bank only) and this should help to secure a mortgage with them once you return.

Hope this helps.