University as Home Fees

Old May 21st 2014, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: University as Home Fees

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi I cannot remember what we actually put in our letter but we did mention that we were all returning home to live permanently (we had no property etc in the UK to return to at the time of applying) and were just waiting to complete on the sale of our home in Aus. Another person I knew also mentioned (who was also apply from overseas for their daughter) that her daughter would of returned home to the UK years ago as she did not want to migrate to Australia in the first place but she would of been to young and had nobody in the UK she could of lived with if they had sent her home, so really was not her daughters fault if she was to be classed as an overseas student, the three Uni's they applied for all granted home student status and also received finance. The family all returned and still live in the UK...happily I might add. Have you tried direct phoning the Uni's as well we found that helped us. Good luck
Thanks - I'll be writing a letter and following up with a phone call!
Old May 21st 2014, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

This website has lots of information regarding home/international fees: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk

You could call them for advice on your particular situation.

From my research it would appear that universities assess each application on a case by case basis and will not 100% confirm your status until you apply. You apply separately for student finance.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

One of the universities my daughter applied to has asked some more detailed questions regarding home fees.

I feel they were trying to give us as much help as possible to get them.

We are not personally going to meet the criteria, but if we could have demonstrated that the stay abroad was temporary, then we could have.

Some excerpts from their final email:

"In order for the University to classify you as a home student for tuition fee purposes we have to be able to show that you meet the criteria of one of the eligible categories listed on the UKCISA website at UKCISA - England: Higher Education - Fee status in England: Higher Education

...at this stage the University would have to classify you as an overseas student for tuition fee purposes." [because daughter has not been settled in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the course]

" I will be able to review this classification if you are able to provide further evidence that your time in the United States is a temporary absence from the UK or that you have maintained your ordinary residence in both the United States and the UK for this period. You may like to think about the following points:

Was your father’s employment abroad always intended to be temporary?

When you left the UK did you leave any possessions in storage at that time or were they all shipped to the US?

Are there any other occasions or examples where you have maintained your own ties with the UK since your last trip in Summer 2011?"

Thought this might be helpful to others.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you - that's really useful to know.