Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK is way cheaper than the USA

UK is way cheaper than the USA

Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK is way cheaper than the USA

Originally Posted by windsong
Unfortunately, the UK is following in the footsteps of the USA in many respects BUT at least it is still "behind" the USA. I used to think it was about 15 years behind but I have a feeling that even that gap is closing a bit.

I can't stand these aspects of the USA, especially the ME-generation, but if I have to live with it, I'd rather live with it in my own country.
I'm opposite, I am very saddened and angry that my own country has gone downhill in this way.
I could tolerate "the nasty stuff" abroad because I was only visiting and did not feel ownership of what happened there, but here, well this is my country and it is becoming more messed up, to my profound disappointment.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:59 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I'm opposite, I am very saddened and angry that my own country has gone downhill in this way.
I could tolerate "the nasty stuff" abroad because I was only visiting and did not feel ownership of what happened there, but here, well this is my country and it is becoming more messed up, to my profound disappointment.
I wonder if it really is getting messed up or the media just makes us feel this way, which in turn actually makes it that way through constant suggestion.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
I wonder if it really is getting messed up or the media just makes us feel this way, which in turn actually makes it that way through constant suggestion.
Flicking through a British newspaper is certainly "Why oh why" articles on every page.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Even now, Britain still has significant agriculture, horticulture, mining, industry, energy and maritime resource, expertise, experience and a population educated in this stuff.
Once we get through the inevitable collapse of the giant Ponzi scheme known as the world financial system Britain will rise Phoenix-like from the collapse to thrive in the New World Order in a way that other nations cannot.
It's only a matter of time. The tangibles we are in surprisingly good shape with, the paperwork and banked fortunes will be worthless.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 1:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Even now, Britain still has significant agriculture, horticulture, mining, industry, energy and maritime resource, expertise, experience and a population educated in this stuff.
Once we get through the inevitable collapse of the giant Ponzi scheme known as the world financial system Britain will rise Phoenix-like from the collapse to thrive in the New World Order in a way that other nations cannot.
It's only a matter of time. The tangibles we are in surprisingly good shape with, the paperwork and banked fortunes will be worthless.
Robert Peston's new book is an informative, objective insight into the background of the current global financial situation.

The unfortunate situation in the UK and most Western countries (Germany being a notable exception) is that we are deeply in debt (and going further into debt every year) to countries like China, we don't have the volume of workers willing to work for low wages, and we increasingly fall behind in training and education.

Look at the number of Chinese students who are funding our higher education system as international students - they will go home and use this knowledge to kick our butts.

We are fortunate that the common global language of business is English and that our time zone puts us squarely in the middle of many of the world's business hours.

If you dividethe national deficit (amount we go into additional debt each year) by about 26 million (the number of UK households) you'll find we are going into further debt by an additional £7,000 per household every year, and our national debt (not deficit) equals about £88,000 per household (this includes the cost of the bank bailout, which more than doubled the existing national debt). It will take a minor miracle for the phoenix to rise from the ashes of this problem.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Spengler was right - "The Decline of the West" is being acted out in front of us - but most are too blind, or too stupid, to notice.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your statement, too. Home as we knew it has gone but, even so, I'd still rather be in my own country and suffer along with all the other Brits. I can at least relate to them, or at least the ones around my generation.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Spengler was right - "The Decline of the West" is being acted out in front of us - but most are too blind, or too stupid, to notice.
Got that right!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I would agree with you if the UK was totally independent (non-EU) but now I am not so sure. I hope you are right.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Robert Peston's new book is an informative, objective insight into the background of the current global financial situation.

The unfortunate situation in the UK and most Western countries (Germany being a notable exception) is that we are deeply in debt (and going further into debt every year) to countries like China, we don't have the volume of workers willing to work for low wages, and we increasingly fall behind in training and education.

Look at the number of Chinese students who are funding our higher education system as international students - they will go home and use this knowledge to kick our butts.

We are fortunate that the common global language of business is English and that our time zone puts us squarely in the middle of many of the world's business hours.

If you dividethe national deficit (amount we go into additional debt each year) by about 26 million (the number of UK households) you'll find we are going into further debt by an additional £7,000 per household every year, and our national debt (not deficit) equals about £88,000 per household (this includes the cost of the bank bailout, which more than doubled the existing national debt). It will take a minor miracle for the phoenix to rise from the ashes of this problem.
The western world is in such dire straits now, I don't know what the answer is. It's definitely a long-term and I doubt we will see it resolved in our lifetimes.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a walk through a British town or city centre in the evening. That will convince any doubters.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:46 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Take a walk through a British town or city centre in the evening. That will convince any doubters.
I tend to agree with you, not only on Britain but the US and many others as well.
What response do you see...
Inflating out of it...
Budget freeze...
Austerity...
Bankruptcy..
I would opt for option 2 or 4
Old Apr 14th 2013, 12:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I tend to agree with you, not only on Britain but the US and many others as well.
What response do you see...
Inflating out of it...
Budget freeze...
Austerity...
Bankruptcy..
I would opt for option 2 or 4
Ease up a little on the austerity (it's stifling growth)

Have some balls and regulate the banks and bonuses a little more (why can't the government force taxpayer owned banks to lend to small businesses?)

Change the education system to increase useful apprenticeships and other skills-based courses with commercial and industrial value

Make life on benefits difficult (why should it be easy to not work?), or require people on JSA to do some voluntary work that contributes to infrastructure (like repairing potholes, cleaning graffiti, picking up litter)

Invest in infrastructure, especially outside of London and the southeast (doesn't include a fast train to London, which only serves to increase the leverage of London)

Introduce incentives to maintain a healthy lifestyle (reduce taxes on healthy produce, increase taxes on unhealthy foods, improve infrastructure for bicycles and subsidize public transport - or part-fund it from road tax and petrol tax).

That would make a good start.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Ease up a little on the austerity (it's stifling growth)

Have some balls and regulate the banks and bonuses a little more (why can't the government force taxpayer owned banks to lend to small businesses?)

Change the education system to increase useful apprenticeships and other skills-based courses with commercial and industrial value

Make life on benefits difficult (why should it be easy to not work?), or require people on JSA to do some voluntary work that contributes to infrastructure (like repairing potholes, cleaning graffiti, picking up litter)

Invest in infrastructure, especially outside of London and the southeast (doesn't include a fast train to London, which only serves to increase the leverage of London)

Introduce incentives to maintain a healthy lifestyle (reduce taxes on healthy produce, increase taxes on unhealthy foods, improve infrastructure for bicycles and subsidize public transport - or part-fund it from road tax and petrol tax).
That would make a good start.
Dunroving for PM
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:56 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Dunroving for PM
I second that !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.