UK visitors visa advice

Old Aug 24th 2019, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

joshgroenewald is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK visitors visa advice

Hey guys

I'd like some advice here and before I apply for a visitors visa I'd like to know what you guys think or what advice you could give me.

So in about a month's time I want to go up to England (from South Africa) to visit my girlfriend for 3 months. She, however, would not be sponsoring me but my godmother is willing to. So I'd be staying with my godmother and she will be providing everything: accommodation, food, money for excursions etc. All I'd be paying for is the transport and travel costs. Now, I'm a student ( studying my commercial pilots licence) so I'm not currently employed but I have been doing part time work to save up for the air ticket and visa application. My girlfriend recently moved up to England and we are currently on a long distance. All I want to do is visit her for a few months then return as I'd like to experience England with her as I won't get the chance again (I need to finish my studies here in South Africa). If anything helps, I'm on a bursary so obviously I have to come back and complete my training. So for the whole trip I'd be staying with my godmother and I'll be spending my time with my girlfriend.

So my questions are:

If my godmother is sponsoring me, and I'm a student who has a letterheaded letter from my flight school stating that I'd be returning to complete my studies, does it matter how much in savings I have? ( I wouldn't have much. Something like GBP430 at the time of application of my visa and another 430 will be added from my part time work before I come up.) Obviously I'd only be paying for my transport to get around.
I can provide an affidavit to prove I live with my parents here as well.

Now I'm gonna be honest in the visa interview and mention that I'm going up to see my girlfriend and we are both very young. ( 19 and 20). I don't have any intention to work or stay there as I'm still busy with studies and have a long way to go. I'm just worried that my visa gets rejected because they might think that I'm actually trying to join my girlfriend up there. But it's not the case as we are both committed to a long distance.

So what do you guys think? Do I have enough evidence as a student?
Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK visitors visa advice

Originally Posted by joshgroenewald
Hey guys

I'd like some advice here and before I apply for a visitors visa I'd like to know what you guys think or what advice you could give me.

So in about a month's time I want to go up to England (from South Africa) to visit my girlfriend for 3 months. She, however, would not be sponsoring me but my godmother is willing to. So I'd be staying with my godmother and she will be providing everything: accommodation, food, money for excursions etc. All I'd be paying for is the transport and travel costs. Now, I'm a student ( studying my commercial pilots licence) so I'm not currently employed but I have been doing part time work to save up for the air ticket and visa application. My girlfriend recently moved up to England and we are currently on a long distance. All I want to do is visit her for a few months then return as I'd like to experience England with her as I won't get the chance again (I need to finish my studies here in South Africa). If anything helps, I'm on a bursary so obviously I have to come back and complete my training. So for the whole trip I'd be staying with my godmother and I'll be spending my time with my girlfriend.

So my questions are:

If my godmother is sponsoring me, and I'm a student who has a letterheaded letter from my flight school stating that I'd be returning to complete my studies, does it matter how much in savings I have? ( I wouldn't have much. Something like GBP430 at the time of application of my visa and another 430 will be added from my part time work before I come up.) Obviously I'd only be paying for my transport to get around.
I can provide an affidavit to prove I live with my parents here as well.

Now I'm gonna be honest in the visa interview and mention that I'm going up to see my girlfriend and we are both very young. ( 19 and 20). I don't have any intention to work or stay there as I'm still busy with studies and have a long way to go. I'm just worried that my visa gets rejected because they might think that I'm actually trying to join my girlfriend up there. But it's not the case as we are both committed to a long distance.

So what do you guys think? Do I have enough evidence as a student?
You don't have much to prove you will return at end of the visit. Your flight school letter is something, but basically you have no other ties, are depending on your godmother for all expenses and have little in the way of your own savings.
...... having said all that it costs little to apply for a visa, you have some chance of being successful, so apply and see how it goes. (and yes, they are probably going to think you are only visiting the UK to join your girlfriend)
Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:45 am
Just Joined

You don't have much to prove you will return at end of the visit. Your flight school letter is something, but basically you have no other ties, are depending on your godmother for all expenses and have little in the way of your own savings.
...... having said all that it costs little to apply for a visa, you have some chance of being successful, so apply and see how it goes. (and yes, they are probably going to think you are only visiting the UK to join your girlfriend)
Today 12:19 am
Hi, thank you for your reply.
I forgot to mention that my girlfriend is paying for the airfare. She would most likely send that money (around 550GBP) to me to come up. How could I prove this to immigration? Is it maybe better if my godmother pays for it by stating so in the invitation letter? Cause I don't want to buy an airfare now in case the visa is rejected.
Also, my letter from the flightschool is letterheaded and signed by the Chief Flight Instructor himself (original). It also has the dates in there too.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
The letterhead from the flight school is not of great importance - I could produce similar on my computer.
You need to have a return air ticket.
You need to make sure that your grandmother (and girlfriend?) have exactly the same facts as yourself and can confirm your intention to return to SA to immigration if asked.
Bring a credit card to indicate that you have access to more funds if required.
Ask your grandmother to give you a letter stating that you are coming to visit her and to stay with her and that she can support you during your stay.
Make sure that she includes her contact details in the letter.
Get your grandmother to send you the money for the air ticket.
I wouldn't mention a girlfriend.
Do not bring any qualification certificates.
Make sure that you understand the conditions of your visa - length of stay and not allowed to work.
HTH
Old Aug 25th 2019, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi
The letterhead from the flight school is not of great importance - I could produce similar on my computer.
You need to have a return air ticket.
You need to make sure that your grandmother (and girlfriend?) have exactly the same facts as yourself and can confirm your intention to return to SA to immigration if asked.
Bring a credit card to indicate that you have access to more funds if required.
Ask your grandmother to give you a letter stating that you are coming to visit her and to stay with her and that she can support you during your stay.
Make sure that she includes her contact details in the letter.
Get your grandmother to send you the money for the air ticket.
I wouldn't mention a girlfriend.
Do not bring any qualification certificates.
Make sure that you understand the conditions of your visa - length of stay and not allowed to work.
HTH
it’s his godmother not grandmother. Will he need to prove that, since it is not a family member funding his stay?
Old Aug 25th 2019, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joshgroenewald
Hi, thank you for your reply.
I forgot to mention that my girlfriend is paying for the airfare. She would most likely send that money (around 550GBP) to me to come up. How could I prove this to immigration? Is it maybe better if my godmother pays for it by stating so in the invitation letter? Cause I don't want to buy an airfare now in case the visa is rejected.
Also, my letter from the flightschool is letterheaded and signed by the Chief Flight Instructor himself (original). It also has the dates in there too.
You don't buy the ticket until you have the visa.

Does not matter who pays for it......... that is irrelevant.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to show you’ve got good health/travel insurance to cover your stay. If it has a relevant end date it may be another thing that shows your visit is of fixed duration.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You might want to show you’ve got good health/travel insurance to cover your stay. If it has a relevant end date it may be another thing that shows your visit is of fixed duration.
Great idea.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Awesome guys thanks for the info. Also something I can't seem to find out is how my godmother would send the invitation letter? Does she email a certified copy with all relevant certified copies of documentation to me? Or does she have to post everything to me?