Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK unis: Home or Overseas fees for UK nationals who have been living outside the EU?

UK unis: Home or Overseas fees for UK nationals who have been living outside the EU?

Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Mark64646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK unis: Home or Overseas fees for UK nationals who have been living outside the EU?

Anyone with experience of this, whether first or second hand, positive or negative, I would appreciate it if you could share with me as I need to build a body of case studies (anonymous/non attributable of course) for a research project I am doing for this.
Feel free to post or get in touch with me directly.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK unis: Home or Overseas fees for UK nationals who have been living outside the

My son starts this Sept in a UK college, UKC who lived outside UK and went to school in the US. He is charged international fees, thats the rule as were are not on a temp assignment for work.
Not too much whining from me, it's still less than going to college/uni here.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:29 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK unis: Home or Overseas fees for UK nationals who have been living outside the

Originally Posted by Mark64646
Anyone with experience of this, whether first or second hand, positive or negative, I would appreciate it if you could share with me as I need to build a body of case studies (anonymous/non attributable of course) for a research project I am doing for this.
Feel free to post or get in touch with me directly.
What and who is the research project for?

There are a number of us who have British Citizen children who have returned to the UK to attend university from a non-EU country.

My son was charged international fees too, and like Mummy in the foothills I am not complaining, we knew that before going into it and we aren't paying much more than if he had attended university/college here in the US.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with the set-up in the United Kingdom is that it looks like the universities are the ones who make the decision whether someone is "home" or "international" and it's not clear whether there is any right of appeal to an independent party.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

There is some evidence (anecdotal and thus not necessarily credible) that some unis may be applying the rules with a higher degree of flexibility than in the past. I am trying to conduct some primary research (direct with unis and through reaching out to parents hence this post) whether this might be true.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

There is some evidence (anecdotal and thus not necessarily credible) that some unis may be applying the rules with a higher degree of flexibility than in the past. I am trying to conduct some primary research (direct with unis and through reaching out to parents hence this post) whether this might be true.
I would greatly appreciate if you could answer my question in post 3. We ask people who want members to participate in any "research" to contact admin first and let us know who and why you are collating this info and where the information is going

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

The project is currently for myself and an educational agent I am working with. Our motives are not altruistic - I wish to plan for my children, he wants to be able to advise UK nationals overseas of their options. We may publish our findings.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The project is currently for myself and an educational agent I am working with. Our motives are not altruistic - I wish to plan for my children, he wants to be able to advise UK nationals overseas of their options. We may publish our findings.
Then you will need to inform the BE folks where you have obtained ethical approval for the data collection (institution, ethical protocol number and a copy of the approval notice).
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:35 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: UK unis: Home or Overseas fees for UK nationals who have been living outside the

And going totally off-topic...

Hi Dunroving....great to see you back on BE!

I was thinking of you whilst the Olympics were taking place as I know that your career is allied to sports (which is perhaps why you've not been on the boards lately AFAIK)......did you go to London to see any of the events, or perhaps going to the Paralympics?

As to the O/P - I've seen reports in the British online newspapers in the past week or so (possibly The Telegraph/Independent/Guardian where apparently some prestigious universities in the UK have denied places to British & EU applicants in favour of those places being reserved for non-EU applicants whom are charged higher tuition fees.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Then you will need to inform the BE folks where you have obtained ethical approval for the data collection (institution, ethical protocol number and a copy of the approval notice).
Hello.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 11:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
And going totally off-topic...

Hi Dunroving....great to see you back on BE!

I was thinking of you whilst the Olympics were taking place as I know that your career is allied to sports (which is perhaps why you've not been on the boards lately AFAIK)......did you go to London to see any of the events, or perhaps going to the Paralympics?

As to the O/P - I've seen reports in the British online newspapers in the past week or so (possibly The Telegraph/Independent/Guardian where apparently some prestigious universities in the UK have denied places to British & EU applicants in favour of those places being reserved for non-EU applicants whom are charged higher tuition fees.
I have been loving the coverage of the Tour de France and the Olympics this year - ITV4 does a great job with the TdF (and are now televising the Vuelta), and BBC have excelled themselves on the Olympics (including 24 free to view HD channels for every sport, and a fine mobile phone app).

I'm too busy with work these days to visit BE much, plus sometimes I just need a break from the expat scene. I'm still looking at jobs in the States, but as time passes it's less likely I wll move back (and I visit for conferences each year and can maintain collaborations). However, I'm still very unsettled in Glasgow and in my job (they have downsized my department from over 20 F-T academics to a handful, but with the same workload). Parts of the public sector that should be a bundle of fun, full of dedicated professionals are now just miserable, stressful places to work.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 12:21 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Parts of the public sector that should be a bundle of fun, full of dedicated professionals are now just miserable, stressful places to work.
Stop it - you're making me all nostalgic for the 1980s again.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

We may be in the position of moving back to the UK from Oz and having to pay non EU fees for our youngest at Uni. Does anyone know if European uni's such as Maastrict would have the 3 year domilice rule as well?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
We may be in the position of moving back to the UK from Oz and having to pay non EU fees for our youngest at Uni. Does anyone know if European uni's such as Maastrict would have the 3 year domilice rule as well?
As far as I know - not necessarily. The residence+citizenship rule is a U.K. policy that may not be the same in other countries. Ask the university.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Yes, the inconsistency applies even within the EU with other European countries showing a little more far sightedness when it comes to the treatment of their expatriates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.