Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Uk Uni - Student Loan for Expats

Wikiposts

Uk Uni - Student Loan for Expats

Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

CTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to all
Default Re: Uk Uni - Student Loan for Expats

Originally Posted by Sue
Our son has had his mind set on the UK for over a year now. Just hope he remembers to pack his brolly.

The uni he has been accepted to will allow payment of fees over 7 monthly installments, which is going to be a big help. We are still waiting to hear from FAFSA.
Wow the installments plan is a good deal.
I had thought that most wanted the overseas students to pay up front in case they dropped out early...will have to try to negotiate
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:54 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CTland
Wow the installments plan is a good deal.
I had thought that most wanted the overseas students to pay up front in case they dropped out early...will have to try to negotiate
Just goes to show how different they are. One wanted a £3,000 deposit
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My son seems to be leaning towards US uni now. One thing I did notice was that halls of residence seemed much cheaper at the UK unis, unless I'm reading it wrongly.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My son seems to be leaning towards US uni now. One thing I did notice was that halls of residence seemed much cheaper at the UK unis, unless I'm reading it wrongly.
Depending where you go, when I went, they were £80 a week if you wanted a sink and a single room, only shaved a fiver off having a double so not worth it.

Halls in the US are weird though, in private places, they're huge just like in the tele, but in most, they're monging grot fests of shared rooms spread around the common group kitchen/living space from the few I've seen, whilst in the UK, not much better, but they were more centred around the showers and less shared space except the kitchens.

Aston Uni though, worst digs I've ever seen, drop down bed from the wall, which flopped over the desk, there wasn't any other room, it was marginally larger than the bed...they were showing these off as the nice and new rooms when I went to check them out as a kid, I'd hate to see their shit ones
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depending where you go, when I went, they were £80 a week if you wanted a sink and a single room, only shaved a fiver off having a double so not worth it.

Halls in the US are weird though, in private places, they're huge just like in the tele, but in most, they're monging grot fests of shared rooms spread around the common group kitchen/living space from the few I've seen, whilst in the UK, not much better, but they were more centred around the showers and less shared space except the kitchens.

Aston Uni though, worst digs I've ever seen, drop down bed from the wall, which flopped over the desk, there wasn't any other room, it was marginally larger than the bed...they were showing these off as the nice and new rooms when I went to check them out as a kid, I'd hate to see their shit ones
I think they've changed a bit since my day, I was in a women's hall which was like Gormenghast or something the first year (actually great fun), my husband tells me most rooms are en-suite over there now.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Our son has had his mind set on the UK for over a year now. Just hope he remembers to pack his brolly.

The uni he has been accepted to will allow payment of fees over 7 monthly installments, which is going to be a big help. We are still waiting to hear from FAFSA.
How do you know if the college in the UK is eligible for fafsa? Ds wants to go in UK too, in fact he's said he's going back period. He wants to be a policeman, sargent, detective, whatever it is.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:28 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
How do you know if the college in the UK is eligible for fafsa? Ds wants to go in UK too, in fact he's said he's going back period. He wants to be a policeman, sargent, detective, whatever it is.
You can call them and ask, but the university my son is going to had all the details on their website, so all we had to do was plug in the number on the FAFSA site. I wouldn't have known that if it wasn't for CTland as our school's college counsellor told me that schools abroad didn't qualify. I've since put her right
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

CTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to all

I have found the whole Uni thing to be one hell of a headache- there seems to be so much misinformation out there.
One thing that surprised me was for the US uni's there seemed to be a 'published' price which then could be quiet heavily discounted if they thought your kid might bring up their averages....like working with car salesmen!!
I wonder if for the 2012 UK entrees if they are going to raise the International fees proportionate to the new UK fees and if that in turn makes them a less attractive proposition???
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have found the whole Uni thing to be one hell of a headache- there seems to be so much misinformation out there.
One thing that surprised me was for the US uni's there seemed to be a 'published' price which then could be quiet heavily discounted if they thought your kid might bring up their averages....like working with car salesmen!!
I wonder if for the 2012 UK entrees if they are going to raise the International fees proportionate to the new UK fees and if that in turn makes them a less attractive proposition???
I work in a UK (Scottish) university and all I know about what's happening come next academic year is that I know nothing. Things are changing with alarming speed and in completely unexpected directions. It's like being on a roller-coaster without a sick bag. My record day this week lasted 19 and a half hours, but none of them last less than 10 hours (and that includes working every Sat and Sun). It's insane, no way to live. Do you really want your kids to be taught by professors who by October will have lost all sense of reason?

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 29th 2011 at 9:33 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
I work in a UK (Scottish) university and all I know about what's happening come next academic year is that I know nothing. Things are changing with alarming speed and in completely unexpected directions. It's like being on a roller-coaster without a sick bag. My record day this week lasted 19 and a half hours, but none of them last less than 10 hours (and that includes working every Sat and Sun). It's insane, no way to live. Do you really want your kids to be taught by professors who by October will have lost all sense of reason?
True but California is in the same boat.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
True but California is in the same boat.
Yes, I think some US states are in a much worse financial position than others, whereas my feeling is that most UK universities are in a similar boat to each other (and those that think they aren't soon will be).

From job applications and interviews, it seems the US universities in many stats are still doing well financially, although some belt-tightening is going on. None of my US colleagues has yet been asked to double-up class size, take on major non-teaching duties (like room scheduling and finding part-time staff), etc. Our F-T permanent teaching staff numbers arer down from 12 to 3, and we are just plugging the gaps with part-timers (who we have to find, hire, and train). US universities still seem to be hiring - the Chronicle is full of jobs, whereas the Times HE and jobs.ac.uk are pretty sparse.

I can imagine that CA, MI, IL and others are going that way, from what I've heard.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I think some US states are in a much worse financial position than others, whereas my feeling is that most UK universities are in a similar boat to each other (and those that think they aren't soon will be).

From job applications and interviews, it seems the US universities in many stats are still doing well financially, although some belt-tightening is going on. None of my US colleagues has yet been asked to double-up class size, take on major non-teaching duties (like room scheduling and finding part-time staff), etc. Our F-T permanent teaching staff numbers arer down from 12 to 3, and we are just plugging the gaps with part-timers (who we have to find, hire, and train). US universities still seem to be hiring - the Chronicle is full of jobs, whereas the Times HE and jobs.ac.uk are pretty sparse.

I can imagine that CA, MI, IL and others are going that way, from what I've heard.
Is the new 2012 fee structure in the UK supposed to add extra revenue to the Uni's or just make up for the reduced payments from the Gov? If its the latter then how is this supposed to help the Uni's move forward?
Can the UK Uni's currently charge whatever they want for overseas students or is that capped?
The problems mentioned by other posters for US Uni's- are these just the State schools or also private schools?
There are a few really good state schools in our area and as an in state student you could be paying maybe 75% less than a private school and even as an out of state student perhaps 50% less...surely the states don't subsidize out of state students also? where does the disparity lie?
I have heard that the NY state schools (SUNY) have been lobbying hard to be able to charge more.
Our school councilor told us not to bother applying to UConn as they were being swamped with high level applications due to the economic down turn!!!
Our daughter got accepted to a SUNY school and they told her that she was one of 2,000 accepted out of 30,000 applicants!!... if the private schools are not feeling the pinch then no wonder they feel like they can just keep upping those rates
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I think you're right.

The problem for us is that the Republicans are blocking the setting of a budget, the proposed $500 million cut to UCs is likely to be doubled because of this.
Is the new 2012 fee structure in the UK supposed to add extra revenue to the Uni's or just make up for the reduced payments from the Gov? If its the latter then how is this supposed to help the Uni's move forward?
As far as I can make out it is just supposed to replace government funding, not 'help the unis move forward'.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

On the subject of UK University International fees, I would speculate that these won't change much in 2012.

It was already a "free market" regardless of what is happening with the home tuition fees.
So the unis are already charging as high a fee as they think they can get away with.

I guess that demand from wealthier Indian and Chinese students might be a bit higher every year that passes, but other than that I reckon the "supply" and "demand" balance will be roughly the same as it is now.

We'll all know in May anyway.