Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Uk Uni - Student Loan for Expats

Uk Uni - Student Loan for Expats

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice
Default Uk Uni - Student Loan for Expats

Hi guys - any ideas? We are moving to Abu Dhabi in July, daughter will come out with us to do her Alevels for 2 years, then may take gap year, probably, then come back to UK to do Uni in 2014.

I am fairly sure we will have to pay overseas fees for her won't we? i read lots saying there are ways around it but i can't see how sadly.

We will be keeping a house in UK and I will be doing some work from home in AD but being paid in uk so i will be paying taxes NI etc.

My question is - will daughter be able to apply for a student loan here in uk when she comes back to get her through uni if she has been out of UK temporarily for three years? We really need her to be able to get the cheap loan rate to put her through uni, otherwise our move may well not be viable with increased uni fees

Anyone know anything or have child who has come back and successfully got student loan
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Uni - Student Loan for Expats

Originally Posted by mabsy
Hi guys - any ideas? We are moving to Abu Dhabi in July, daughter will come out with us to do her Alevels for 2 years, then may take gap year, probably, then come back to UK to do Uni in 2014.

I am fairly sure we will have to pay overseas fees for her won't we? i read lots saying there are ways around it but i can't see how sadly.

We will be keeping a house in UK and I will be doing some work from home in AD but being paid in uk so i will be paying taxes NI etc.

My question is - will daughter be able to apply for a student loan here in uk when she comes back to get her through uni if she has been out of UK temporarily for three years? We really need her to be able to get the cheap loan rate to put her through uni, otherwise our move may well not be viable with increased uni fees

Anyone know anything or have child who has come back and successfully got student loan
You may be able to get the Uni to grant you home status but the problem might come around when actually applying for a student loan as then the info on personel history comes into effect....in your daughters gap year could she not work to pay her fee's....the general rule is 3 years of education in the U.K to be granted home status. Good luck
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
You may be able to get the Uni to grant you home status but the problem might come around when actually applying for a student loan as then the info on personel history comes into effect....in your daughters gap year could she not work to pay her fee's....the general rule is 3 years of education in the U.K to be granted home status. Good luck
I thought the rule was ordinarily resident in the UK in the 3 years preceding university entrance (rather than 3 years in education in the UK)?

If the overseas position can be shown to be temporary (e.g., a company transfer, or a temporary contract, especially if the OP ends up going back to the UK when daughter starts university), then I think there is a stronger case for establishing home fees status.

Best to clear this up before they leave, though, if this is going to be such a big deal.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabsy

I think the issue of loan rates and the issue of fees are separate things, not sure if the rules are the same for both.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice

yes, think you are right, they are separate things. loan one thing and student status is another.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

and it a permanent job in ME
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

CTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to all

Would welcome any returning ex pats with kids classed as International students to share their experiences on student loan options
Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

look forward to any info on this, thanks
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:54 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CTland
Would welcome any returning ex pats with kids classed as International students to share their experiences on student loan options
Thanks
I've only started looking into this. Son is going to uni in the UK in the fall. He is classed as an international student. We thought we'd find out if he got accepted anywhere and then worry about funding it .... so now that journey begins.

I've only done minimal research on this thus far, and I haven't come up with any thing yet, but I will keep you updated if I find anything out.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

really look forward to any updates on experiences with this. As daughter will only be out of uk for just under 2 years from aug 2011 if she abandons gap year plans, and then will be in uk permanently from sept 2013 for uni and job, what do you think? we own a uk house.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

CTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to all

Trying to figure out how to fund your kid thro Uni is an education in itself!!

One UK uni told us to look at the Parent plus programme and have found the following overview here

http://www.careonecredit.com/debt-fr...r-parents.aspx

...and some specific info here

http://www.direct.ed.gov/

Also have just completed FAFSA forms which can be found here

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/#

Good luck to all and look forward to hearing if anyone finds any creative ways!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

thank you!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CTland
Trying to figure out how to fund your kid thro Uni is an education in itself!!

One UK uni told us to look at the Parent plus programme and have found the following overview here

http://www.careonecredit.com/debt-fr...r-parents.aspx

...and some specific info here

http://www.direct.ed.gov/

Also have just completed FAFSA forms which can be found here

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/#

Good luck to all and look forward to hearing if anyone finds any creative ways!
Thanks for the links. Interesting about FAFSA, as the college advisor at my son's school told us not to bother as they won't help with international fees.

Thanks for the other links though, will go and read through the info.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Thanks for the links. Interesting about FAFSA, as the college advisor at my son's school told us not to bother as they won't help with international fees.

Thanks for the other links though, will go and read through the info.
We initially just put codes in for two US Uni's which our daughter (reluctantly) applied to. We then got codes back from a couple of the UK Uni's and added them to the application and I don't think we had any problems (will check and get back)
Tip on the electronic FAFSA is to apply for the Parent and Student pins up front as you can't submit without and they take two to thre days to get back to you
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Great tips about the pins, thanks. Can I ask where did you get the codes for the uk uni's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.