Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Tax - Non-Residence Form (SA109) Help

UK Tax - Non-Residence Form (SA109) Help

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Question UK Tax - Non-Residence Form (SA109) Help

Hi

After months of procrastination its time to fill in my UK taxes again - one of my most hated tasks. Hopefully I will only have one more to do next year as I about to sell my place in England which is rented out and that is the only thing requiring me to fill in the form as far as I know.

Anyway, looking at the residence status section question 9.4 asks to tick if you were resident in the UK for 2005-2006 - I was split year last year (I left January 2006), so I guess that means I wasn't? Or does it mean resident at any time - any ideas?

Also with the Domicile section, although I don't have any Capital Gains this year (although I did sell some shares but they were sold straight from the employee plan and think these are exempt - but thats another story), if I am selling my house then I will be next year. Is this relevant or shall i just ignore this for now?

And finally if I do sell my house over the next few weeks/months should I fill in a P85(?) at that point? As of then I will just have a bank account in the UK so imagine I can avoid going forward?

Thanks for any help you can give
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all
Default Re: UK Tax - Non-Residence Form (SA109) Help

first , if you were out jan-april , your still a uk resident .
if you leave the country for 12 months august-august you can then claim non-res status .
i believe there is a section for money earned abroad on return ?
have you phoned the non-res landlord section about getting a non-res tax exempt payment from your letting agent ? this is if you rent the house out from abroad .
i'm not at home at the moment , and everything i said could be wrong !!

but , i have all information at home , including id of forms you need and helpline numbers .

let me know if you need more info
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-c
first , if you were out jan-april , your still a uk resident .
if you leave the country for 12 months august-august you can then claim non-res status .
i believe there is a section for money earned abroad on return ?
have you phoned the non-res landlord section about getting a non-res tax exempt payment from your letting agent ? this is if you rent the house out from abroad .
i'm not at home at the moment , and everything i said could be wrong !!

but , i have all information at home , including id of forms you need and helpline numbers .

let me know if you need more info
But the question is - was I resident in 2005-2006 - this is for a form for 2006-2007. I am definitely non-resident for 2006-2007 but was a split year in 05-06. I was resident for part of the year, but not for the entire year. Its a strange question, and there is no mention of it in the notes.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Its a long time back, but I think I was told that you need to be out for one complete tax year (april 5-april 4) before you can claim non-residency for tax purposes.

Ps - The non-residency declaration for the managing agent doesn't exempt you from paying taxes on the rental income - it only means that the agent doesn't have to deduct the tax from the payments he passes on to you..
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

p85 "leaving the united kingdom"

"broadly , if you are resident in the united kingdom you will pay uk tax on all your income. if you are not resident you will pay uk tax only on income arising in the uk ."

fill in p85 , and pay attention to section 5 .

put non-res in the box for 9.4

regards to form NRL1 , yorkie is correct , but how YOU calculate what you owe them makes a big difference

if you need my contacts phone numbers let me know !! these are people within the non-res section that are VERY helpfull