Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK tax on 2 jobs question.

UK tax on 2 jobs question.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK tax on 2 jobs question.

Quick question for all you tax experts.....

I currently work for the NHS and for NHS professionals... NHS is contracted and I have a tax code for that set by the tax office... For the NHS professionals I choose the hours I want to work as a bank nurse. This pay also has a tax code, but being a second job it is taxed at basic rate. Even though they are both NHS there is no link for wages so classed as 2 jobs.

My question is......

At the end of a financial year will I end up paying too much tax because of the basic rate on the second job?

Should I file my own tax forms to see if I get a refund on the overall tax Vs. the yearly earnings?

Also... OK.... Funny how 1 question turns into mastermind for tax experts isn't it... LOL

What sort of things can I claim tax back on for my job as a Registered Nurse. I hear we are allowed to claim for some things but not sure what....

Thanks to all you who can clear the blurred thinking of a worn out NHS nurse, with no financial training... LOL
Old Apr 24th 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax on 2 jobs question.

Originally Posted by honeymommy

I currently work for the NHS and for NHS professionals... NHS is contracted and I have a tax code for that set by the tax office... For the NHS professionals I choose the hours I want to work as a bank nurse. This pay also has a tax code, but being a second job it is taxed at basic rate. Even though they are both NHS there is no link for wages so classed as 2 jobs.

My question is......

At the end of a financial year will I end up paying too much tax because of the basic rate on the second job?

Should I file my own tax forms to see if I get a refund on the overall tax Vs. the yearly earnings?

Also... OK.... Funny how 1 question turns into mastermind for tax experts isn't it... LOL

What sort of things can I claim tax back on for my job as a Registered Nurse. I hear we are allowed to claim for some things but not sure what....

Thanks to all you who can clear the blurred thinking of a worn out NHS nurse, with no financial training... LOL
I did trust professionals for a few yrs as a second job like you, I got no rebate or had to pay any extra. the things you are able to claim for are shoes, any work stuff ie scissors, tights (may include socks now as most wear tunic and trousers ) and I think magazines you subscribe to.... it apparently isn't much so not something I have ever done although you only claim once and after that it is automatically done.

hope someone is able to answer a bit better than me
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:58 pm
Merlot

My local Inland Revenue here are great, you can drop in at anytime for help.

I was self employed for some of last tax year and also have had problems with my tax code being a temp too. They are going to walk me through my Self Assessment and wil try to get all my overpaid tax back.

Merlot

Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:39 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

It really depends on how much you are earning in your NHS job, if you are paying tax at the 22% level then paying basic rate on your second job will work out correct and you won't owe or be owed anything. As for claiming a tax allowance on things for work you would need to check with the tax office (it may say on their web site) I was a nurse many moons ago but didn't claim anything, didn't know that I could if not self employed, maybe it only applies if you are self employed, I would give them a call to check.

Susan
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... will I end up paying too much tax because of the basic rate on the second job? ....
Not unless your pay on the first job is very low (less than £6,985 per yer). However, if your aggregate pay for both jobs exceeds roughly £37,000 (or is it £39,000? ) you'll have paid too little tax.

The matter of your NI contributions os more tricky, and you could more easily end up pay too much NI, I think.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Hi HM,

I think an easier way to explain it is that for your NHS job, you recieve all of your tax allowances against that income. Therefore with all your allowances allocated against your first job, it is correct for you to be taxed at basic rate for your second job.

I would still go ahead and fill in a self assesment return for 2004-05 as I know you were not here for the entire tax year just to check and make sure that you have not overpaid any tax at all. I know that when you start with a new employer especially when you don't have a P45 you sometimes are taxed too much initially and not put on the accumalitive tax code stratight away.

I would definitley talk to your local take office and claim allowances for items you need to buy personally for work and as another post said next year it will be automatic.

Hope all is well with you.

BG
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies.

Love the idea of earning £39,000 on the NHS Hahahahahhah,.... In my dreams....

Anyway... The tax I paid from return to UK till end of financial year I have been refunded.... All of it, as I didn't earn enough to pay tax..

I will file a tax assessment next year and see what happens. I was hoping someone would say I could have my cake and eat it sort of thing... LOL

NI Contributions..... What happens if I pay too much? Do they give me some back?

Anyway... Thanks for the help.. I am off to bed now as just finished my second night this week.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:59 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

NI Contributions..... What happens if I pay too much? Do they give me some back?

Unfortunately NI contributions are not refundable and you pay whatever you are due to pay on each job seperately regardless of how much you have already paid.

Susan
Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I did trust professionals for a few yrs as a second job like you, I got no rebate or had to pay any extra. the things you are able to claim for are shoes, any work stuff ie scissors, tights (may include socks now as most wear tunic and trousers ) and I think magazines you subscribe to.... it apparently isn't much so not something I have ever done although you only claim once and after that it is automatically done.

hope someone is able to answer a bit better than me
silverdragon is right, you can claim relief on your tights, subscription to any professional organisations or magazines, like the RCN or nursing times, but if you tell them what you do they just alter your tax code and it will stay that way until you change it.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your wonderful replies.

I have found this site... http://216.109.124.98/search/cache?e...icp=1&.intl=uk It is very helpful, so I posted it on here for anyone else that may be interested in claiming..

Every little helps...