Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK student loan and Brexit

UK student loan and Brexit

Old Jan 13th 2019, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Liminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud of
Default UK student loan and Brexit

Hello, I am planning to return to Britain from Canada with my son when he finishes Grade 12, so maybe later this year. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with the student loan set-up in England? My understanding is he would need to be living in England for 3 years before he could get a loan, and only then if it is his first go at further education, so we are anticipating a delay to his education if we go this route. Is this right? Also, anyone got any inkling as to whether the student loan programme is safe and stable, or might it be reduced to tatters by Brexit?
Old Jan 13th 2019, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK student loan and Brexit

Hi, your son could attend two years at college (as most students do here if also wanting to go to university or further education) then (whilst finishing college) apply to university if that is his chosen path and defer (if offered a place) for a year (again that is what a lot of students do after college, they either travel or work for a year to earn money) he could then apply for student loans, some Universities offer bursarys or grants depending on grades etc. Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2019, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Liminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud ofLiminal has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK student loan and Brexit

Oh, I had no idea, thanks for that! This is looking better than I expected.