Wikiposts

UK state pension reform

Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension reform

Originally Posted by nun
For any of us with 30 years of NICs who will be retiring after 2017 we will be better off under the reforms even if we don't pay the extra 5 years of contributions. If we qualify for just 30/35ths of the increased flat rate state pension in today's dollars it will be

30/35 * 144GBP = 123GBP

whereas the current basic state pension is 107GBP.
Sounds logical. Wouldn't it be annoying, though, to pay the five years and then die before the break even/profit point.

More annoying than death itself.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:04 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sounds logical. Wouldn't it be annoying, though, to pay the five years and then die before the break even/profit point.

As they say in yiddish "Tachrichim macht men on keshenes."
(Shrouds are made without pockets)
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:09 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Here is DPW's response to my email asking about how the reforms affect those paying voluntary NICs. It seems very reasonable. We won't be any worse off, and we'll get a longer time to make catch up payments. I have no complaints as Class 2 NICs are a great value at 30 or 35 years. If you are at 30 years of NICs the thing to do is to wait until the legislation is passed and then decide whether to make catch up payments based on a new pension forcast.

Class 2 (voluntary) National Insurance (NI) contributions

My apologies, I was unaware that you are currently paying Class 2 National Insurance (NI) contributions on a voluntary basis as you live overseas.

White Paper proposals

One of the proposals in the White Paper is that nobody will get a State Pension lower than the valuation of their National Insurance record in the current scheme when single tier is introduced.

Therefore if the Government does increase the qualifying years from 30 to 35 (as outlined in the White Paper), if you have less than 35 qualifying years by State Pension age, you will get a pro-rata amount of the top rate single-tier State Pension. However, your payable State Pension would not be less than what you would get under the current scheme.

If you are due to reach State Pension age after the single-tier changes are introduced*, you should wait until those changes are approved by Parliament and DWP can provide full estimates of your single-tier State Pension before deciding whether to continue paying voluntary NI contributions.

HM Revenue and Customs are taking steps to extend the time limits for paying voluntary National Insurance contributions to 5 April 2023 for the tax years 2006/07 – 2015/16 and you will only pay at the rate that was due for that tax year.

*The earliest date that the single-tier will be April 2017.

Further information

If you need to contact us, our telephone number is shown at the end of this email.

Yours sincerely

Sean Goodwin

Correspondence Officer

Future Pension Centre

The Pension Service

Tyneview Park

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE98 1BA

Our phone number 0845 3000 168

Our opening hours

Mon-Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm

Our fax number 0191 218 7006

If you have a textphone 0845 300 0169

E-mail [email protected]

Website www.gov.uk
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Having paid the entire five years as Class 2 NICs you would only have to live just over six months to get all of your money back, assuming you don't pay any UK or other taxes.

Such a good deal for Class 2s in particular, it is probably not something an expat would want to brag about too much down the local upon a return.

"HM Revenue and Customs are taking steps to extend the time limits for paying voluntary National Insurance contributions to 5 April 2023 for the tax years 2006/07 – 2015/16 and you will only pay at the rate that was due for that tax year." - The mind boggles at what the UK Treasury is taking on as additional pension liabilities in exchange for precious little cash but then I guess they don't actually book them. Worth a ride for as long as this largesse can last.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 17th 2013 at 3:38 am. Reason: HM Revenue........ largesse
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nun
For any of us with 30 years of NICs who will be retiring after 2017 we will be better off under the reforms even if we don't pay the extra 5 years of contributions. If we qualify for just 30/35ths of the increased flat rate state pension in today's dollars it will be

30/35 * 144GBP = 123GBP

whereas the current basic state pension is 107GBP.
Assuming that those contributions were not contracted out, otherwise there will be a further reduction, but not below £107
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:42 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
What a wonderful lady she was! - You forgot to mention the Negative equity - how many people was who lost their homes? Only one group of folks came off good from her schemes.
Ask any ex-miner or ex- steel worker - see if they thought she did good. Should have been hung for destroying our production base, in my opinion.
P.S. Never drive to the Hospital - always use a free bus pass.
No, Don, I definitely didn't forget. I was a homeowner at the time so I remember it painfully well (double-digit interest rates!) - same thing at the moment (re: negative equity at least), but this time thanks to New Labour.

I'm afraid I have little faith in any of the major parties thanks to past experience. I find it difficult sometimes to figure out why Maggie is singled out for so much more flak when we have had some pretty poor examples before and after her - I wouldn't trust Blair with a 20 ft bargepole and in his own unique way he has caused just as much grief for a lot of people.

Maggie was no saint but neither was Scargill at the time (his ego played a role in the miners' situation, if the history books are to be believed) and neither was Blair in the 90s, less than a decade after Maggie was booted out of Number 10.

I know a few people who came off pretty well during the Thatcher years from buying their council houses for a song, buying shares in the privatised companies (British Gas etc.) and selling weeks later, etc.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
No, Don, I definitely didn't forget. I was a homeowner at the time so I remember it painfully well (double-digit interest rates!) - same thing at the moment (re: negative equity at least), but this time thanks to New Labour.
I'm afraid I have little faith in any of the major parties thanks to past experience. I find it difficult sometimes to figure out why Maggie is singled out for so much more flak when we have had some pretty poor examples before and after her - I wouldn't trust Blair with a 20 ft bargepole and in his own unique way he has caused just as much grief for a lot of people.
Maggie was no saint but neither was Scargill at the time (his ego played a role in the miners' situation, if the history books are to be believed) and neither was Blair in the 90s, less than a decade after Maggie was booted out of Number 10.
I know a few people who came off pretty well during the Thatcher years from buying their council houses for a song, buying shares in the privatised companies (British Gas etc.) and selling weeks later, etc.
I can only agree with you and the present situation - everyone is suffering - Well ''we are all in this together'', but I can't find the others. I lost £100 within weeks of them getting in ( which they didn't do really) and however we look at it now, I am pretty sure, the Lib Dems, have lost their edge! - But then, who is opposing them?
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The Government has published it's pension reforms. The key things are that it goes into effect in 2017, that the full state pension will be 144GBP for everyone with 35 (not 30) years of NI credits. This is mostly a good thing for those paying voluntary Class 2 NI as it increases the pension benefit, but going form 30 to 35 years of NI to qualify for it is a bit of a hit. I'm not sure what the situation is for people who already qualify for full pension under the old rules by having 30 years of contributions. Are the grandfathered in or do they have to pay 5 more years of NI?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013...m-flat-payment
Nun, I know this was covered somewhere else, but I cannot locate it at the present time. Do you know if there is a form online to apply to make contributions? Someone mentioned they had called and was directed to a form. I need to find out if I can make Class 2 payments and how to go about it. Thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
I can only agree with you and the present situation - everyone is suffering - Well ''we are all in this together'', but I can't find the others. I lost £100 within weeks of them getting in ( which they didn't do really) and however we look at it now, I am pretty sure, the Lib Dems, have lost their edge! - But then, who is opposing them?
Priceless, Don.

I'm sure there are a few more than just you and me, but those who tell us that "We" are all in it together usually mean "You". I don't think many politicians are hurting for cash. Their pensions don't even come under the state pension reform.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Nun, I know this was covered somewhere else, but I cannot locate it at the present time. Do you know if there is a form online to apply to make contributions? Someone mentioned they had called and was directed to a form. I need to find out if I can make Class 2 payments and how to go about it. Thanks.
Actually, my state pension summary says it's Class 3 (not 2) payments

Also, it includes an email specific to those of us overseas:

[email protected]
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:12 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the form you are looking for is CF83 on the HMRC site. I tried to link it for you, but my PC is acting up today.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:12 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

NI38 has all the info and forms you need to apply.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/nico/ni38.pdf
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:13 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Actually, my state pension summary says it's Class 3 (not 2) payments

Also, it includes an email specific to those of us overseas:

[email protected]
Check if you qualify for Class 2, they are a lot less expensive. If you do qualify apply to have them changed. I changed over from Class 3 to Class 2 in the early 1990s when the law changed.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:34 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Stunningly quick reply, all be it standardised but at least I knew it had been read, from DWP today. We are covered in snow and I was bored so thought I would chase up my concern having done my 30 years and now told need 35.
They replied in 4 hours!! As said by others looks like I can buy back some more years for the same price as now so not so bad, but a shame they do not propose to allow those who had completed 30 years by the time they announce changes to be considered to have paid up!
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Call me confused? I looked at the links above. What is the distinction between C2 and C3 contributions? At one point it seems class 3 apply then the form reverts to class 2?

The the web link: www.dwp.gov.uk/international in the form essentially says nothing.

So at the risk of frustrating people, in the asked and answered mode.

As a person who paid UK contributions while employed in the UK 20 years ago. And has since paid into US SS. Whats my best way forward? Does the US SS payments have some reciprocity. It seems to indicate yes but no infor on the link? Should I be paying now if I am returning?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.