UK Stakeholder pension

Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Stakeholder pension

Originally Posted by dunroving
So currently, if a person is below 30 years they can pay voluntary NICs to bring them up to 30 years, and then if they continue working, they can earn more years and end up with 35 years .... but if they are at 30 years, they can't pay voluntary NICs to get to 35 years? Seems a bit mad.
I will be in this precise position. It seems illogical.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 5:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I made the inquiry was because my husband had 30 years contributions before we left the UK. So, there was no need for him to make any voluntary contributions to get a full pension.

When they announced the new single tier pension, we realised that he will get the single tier pension because he reaches retirement age in 2017, but he wouldn't have the requisite 35 years contributions to get a full pension.

So he tried to start paying voluntary contributions but got told he could not do so because he had the 30 years.

Now I've clarified the situation: once the new pension law is in force, it will be possible to make up his contributions to 35.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
The reason I made the inquiry was because my husband had 30 years contributions before we left the UK. So, there was no need for him to make any voluntary contributions to get a full pension.

When they announced the new single tier pension, we realised that he will get the single tier pension because he reaches retirement age in 2017, but he wouldn't have the requisite 35 years contributions to get a full pension.

So he tried to start paying voluntary contributions but got told he could not do so because he had the 30 years.

Now I've clarified the situation: once the new pension law is in force, it will be possible to make up his contributions to 35.
But will the 6-year rule still apply? If it takes them that long to make the decision, then people who could have paid some make-up years will be beyond the 6-year rule (the missing years will be > 6 years ago) (if that makes sense).
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:28 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
But will the 6-year rule still apply? If it takes them that long to make the decision, then people who could have paid some make-up years will be beyond the 6-year rule (the missing years will be > 6 years ago) (if that makes sense).
No, they are going to extend the time limits. So we should be OK.