Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Real estate listings - so how big is the garden then??

UK Real estate listings - so how big is the garden then??

Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK Real estate listings - so how big is the garden then??

When I last lived in UK (a while back now) real estate ads and listings almost always gave the size of the gardens or land attached, whether in acres (or percentages of acres) or in length measurement (eg "100 foot garden") or in a brief descriptive (eg "small"). Now, as I browse through RightMove and other UK real estate sites, it seems that most listings, unless they're on sizeable plots of land, don't specify much at all about the garden, much less the size of it. Yet they give detailed measurements for every room and outbuilding??

So, why would that be I wonder? Does size of garden matter less these days to people, maybe? Are agents avoiding being charged with misrepresentation for possibly getting the exact size of the garden wrong, maybe? I just don't get it. It's frustrating, especially in these days of ultra-wide-angle lens real estate photos, not to be able to determine whether or not a house will suit because size of garden can't be gauged.

Any ideas about this? Has anyone else who's been away from UK for a while noticed this? Does anyone else find this frustrating? Does garden size matter to you?

Last edited by Black Sheep; Aug 18th 2009 at 1:55 am.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Real estate listings - so how big is the garden then??

When we sold our house in the UK back in 2002, the estate agents were very reluctant to put any measurements regarding the garden in. I'd measured it myself, drawn a plan and calculated the area but they were having none of it. Misrepresentation seemed to be the issue.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

marieceleste is on a distinguished road

I think that its because finding a house with a garden anything over about 50ft is a rarity, so estate agents dont put in garden sizes as people do not expect to get anything more than a postage stamp size, particular with the new builds! I think it is also more popular to have off road parking than a garden these days. I wonder if it's also because kids dont tend to play out in gardens much so its not seen as important?
I know the frustration tho' as looking at houses myself at the mo, and unless the garden's over 60ft they dont put the measurements in!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 10:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marieceleste
I think that its because finding a house with a garden anything over about 50ft is a rarity!

I have owned and lived in a number of houses in the UK and most would have had more than 100 ft. of garden.

there are plenty of houses around with decent gardens
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

I have owned and lived in a number of houses in the UK and most would have had more than 100 ft. of garden.

Agreed. Also would disagree with kids playing outside, they certainly did when I last lived there and that was only four years ago. The place hasn't changed, judging by my visit last year. I guess (don't know though) that gardens in city suburbs are possibly smaller than rural in general but I would assume it's as someone said, misrepresentation is at work.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling

Grayling

The two houses we rented in Oxfordsire had 0.3 and 0.5 acres.
Our 1970's house we purchased last year has a 123 x 60 ft rear garden and 47x60ft front garden. Lots of older home have decent gardens if you are willing to look around.

That why we did not buy a new house. Where would we have put the 13 ft Canadian Tire trampoline and basket ball stand in a modern house garden?

The plots where where live were built in 1960's and 1970's and the 30 houses in our area (subdivision) are on 0.25 to 0.5 acre plots. Houses range from £200K(3 bed) to £350K(5 bed with heated swimming pool).

hudd
Old Aug 20th 2009, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
That why we did not buy a new house. Where would we have put the 13 ft Canadian Tire trampoline and basket ball stand in a modern house garden?
Very important!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by marieceleste
I think that its because finding a house with a garden anything over about 50ft is a rarity
LOL, you want to see the size of some of the gardens in the new estates in Perth. They seem obsessed with covering the whole plot with house leaving only a small undercover patio area. You can practically touch the fence from the patio doors in some of them.

My garden in the UK was also over 100ft, much bigger that what I have here. Agree with the new builds in the UK though, they don't have much.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:48 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

we bought our house because of the garden and we saw about 20 properties with one est agent before i sat him down and said "look when i say i want a big garden i mean i want a big garden i will not buy a house with a 20ft square garden because i love the space inside, i want space outside too. get me a 100ft garden and ill go and view it, show me one more piddly garden hoping ill fall for the house and you wont see me again (btw i had cash burning a whole in my pocket, mortgage arranged and sizeable deposit, no chain etc) the next house he showed me was ex authority and had a 120ft garden which i loved and we bought the house then and there.

speak to the local agents and make them aware of what you want, they can find it but they need the incentive and the specifications, my "large garden" might vary greatly from your "large garden"
Old Aug 29th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

EAs will only mention the size of the garden when it is over 60-70 feet long..otherwise its smaller.

When they don't mention the size it will be small