Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Magazine subscriptions that dont cost an arm and a leg??

UK Magazine subscriptions that dont cost an arm and a leg??

Old May 14th 2010, 11:42 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Magazine subscriptions that dont cost an arm and a leg??

Anyone?

I'm just back from a UK holiday and i'm sorry to say I need my BBC magazines or something, much nicer to read versus reading on line...

Anyone know any good links to subscription sites where it doesn't cost a $100a year, due to shipping.

Or any good shops that sell the same in the San Diego County area?

There was a place I knew in the dodgy end of North Park..rather not get robbed while running into the city for my paper though...

Thanks.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Magazine subscriptions that dont cost an arm and a leg??

Originally Posted by SDDep
Anyone?

I'm just back from a UK holiday and i'm sorry to say I need my BBC magazines or something, much nicer to read versus reading on line...

Anyone know any good links to subscription sites where it doesn't cost a $100a year, due to shipping.

There was a place I knew in the dodgy end of North Park..rather not get robbed while running into the city for my paper though...

Thanks.
I miss my Good Food, Delicious & Olive Magazines! Can't bring myself to subscribe and no-one at home loves me enough to spend that sort of money on my B-day or Xmas pressies .

I am making do with Food Network & Family Circle - both of which are ridiculously cheap if you subscribe and ridiculously expensive if you buy month to month Not loving Family Circle though !
Old May 15th 2010, 12:01 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Well due to the missus, there are no shortage of better homes and gardens (not too bad) and even sunset (not too bad) magazines laying around the house.

The caveat to me getting these mags, is having to put up with her People mag and all that other tabloid rubbish!

I just got back from the UK and was loaded down with footie mags for my boys, but that can get awfully heavy...

Aaargh...Ill figure something out...
Old May 15th 2010, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Errr......its called a library.......
Old May 15th 2010, 12:41 am
Not around much..

That sounds like a great idea...however my local library has nothing of the sort....believe me I've checked...
Old May 15th 2010, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

That sounds like a great idea...however my local library has nothing of the sort....believe me I've checked...
Really - is it a small library - perhaps if you visit a larger one you might have better luck. I just mentioned it because our main library has every brit magazine, video and anything else british you could want.......

Have you checked to see if they are online?
Old May 15th 2010, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on who you work for in the US. In my travels I have managed to subscribe to UK and US magazines and have them shipped to my company offices HR department where they have dropped them in the inter-company mail (usually shipped by courier every week) so thats how I have managed to stay abreast of what I was missing. Magazines don't out date like newspapers do. Plus in getting the 'local' editions you get any freebies unlike those sold in specialty stores who rip expats off
Would that work?
Old May 15th 2010, 1:08 am
Not around much..

Originally Posted by willmore
Really - is it a small library - perhaps if you visit a larger one you might have better luck. I just mentioned it because our main library has every brit magazine, video and anything else british you could want.......

It is a small library actually, i will have to check the larger ones, thanks for the info
Old May 15th 2010, 1:09 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Magazine subscriptions that dont cost an arm and a leg??

Come to think of it, I love it that many of the British magazines and some newspapers (on sale in the UK) have 'free gifts' attached to them.

I have a number of nice tote bags, courtesy of the UK edition of 'Marie Claire' and some Body Shop 'body butter', lipsticks etc. from other womens magazines. I have some movie DVDs from the Sunday newspapers. The papers are always doing promotions for something or other, such as a coupon for a meal out at a chain restaurant for 5 pounds, free admission to a National Trust house or garden, cinema tickets etc.

I can't think of any print media which has similar promotions in the USA compared to those in the UK?

Come to think of it - I usually hit WH Smiths at Heathrow and do a last minute (big) shop of newpapers, magazines, crisps and chocs before boarding my flight lol! Does anyone else do this?
Old May 15th 2010, 1:10 am
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Vimto
Depends on who you work for in the US. In my travels I have managed to subscribe to UK and US magazines and have them shipped to my company offices HR department where they have dropped them in the inter-company mail (usually shipped by courier every week) so thats how I have managed to stay abreast of what I was missing. Magazines don't out date like newspapers do. Plus in getting the 'local' editions you get any freebies unlike those sold in specialty stores who rip expats off
Would that work?
Sheesh, I wish...I work for a large county government...I can't see em buying that unfortunately....

Might be worth trying though...see if anyone notices
Old May 15th 2010, 1:12 am
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Come to think of it, I love it that many of the British magazines and some newspapers (on sale in the UK) have 'free gifts' attached to them.

I have a number of nice tote bags, courtesy of the UK edition of 'Marie Claire' and some Body Shop 'body butter', lipsticks etc. from other womens magazines. I have some movie DVDs from the Sunday newspapers. The papers are always doing promotions for something or other, such as a coupon for a meal out at a chain restaurant for 5 pounds, free admission to a National Trust house or garden, cinema tickets etc.

I can't think of any print media which has similar promotions in the USA compared to those in the UK?

Come to think of it - I usually hit WH Smiths at Heathrow and do a last minute (big) shop of newpapers, magazines, crisps and chocs before boarding my flight lol! Does anyone else do this?
I just got back and did that...needless to say my cases were packed full and my back back weighed a ton...well worth the pain of carrying it and lunking it around...mum always brings some with her during the semi-annual visits
Old May 15th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?

Thanks.
I hear ya.

I've found very cheap subscriptions on amazon.com, (but not for Brit mags, too many spondoolicks), I'm currently subscribed to Southern Living (love it), readers Digest, Better homes and Gardens, Country Living and Real Simple. RD and RS I got for the bargain price of $5 per year, the others were cheap, but not as cheap as that.

I got a years worth of Newsweek and Time mag, but I found that I never had enough time to read them and so I didn't renew my subscription.

Edit: - You don't say what BBC mag you were looking for, if it's the food one then you'll find some nice foodie mags on Amazon.

Last edited by The Horticulturalist; May 15th 2010 at 3:16 am.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:19 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I subscribe to a few magazines via Zinio.com and my iPad. Same content (even the ads) just I don't get the paper.
Old May 17th 2010, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Barnes and Noble in Encinitas has the best selection of imported British magazines I've found. Theres a magazine stand at the UTC Mall in that carries most of the magazines as well. They don't carry every single one, but between the two its got most of them.
Old May 17th 2010, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore

Willmore......

It may be that British mags are more the norm in public libraries in Canada, they aren't here. Or not that I've seen and not necessarily in the main library either. If people aren't going to read them, why would they stock them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.