UK Housing Market

Old Oct 21st 2022, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Housing Market

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
We plan to move next Spring and would love to be able to purchase something before that to avoid spending on rent . Noticing many new builds everywhere also . Will drive around next month when we come over for a vacation!
Be aware that the buying process can be quite long, so once you've found your house the paperwork can take longer than you'd expect:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/bu...g-is-too-long/

Buying a new build has pros and cons, but one advantage is the reduced risk - chain collapsing, buyer pulling out, being gazumped, etc. There's a new build premium though, although builders partly justify this by saying repair bills should be lower. Energy efficient houses (new build or otherwise) may attract premiums.

You're correct that negotiating should be easier as the market cools. Being a cash buyer is helpful, although I was surprised to learn that 35% of buyers are cash buyers so it's not as big an advantage as expected:

https://www.ft.com/content/e0ad2830-...a-d77457e2edbb

Rents are high and increasing and there's (a lot) more tenants than available rental properties, so if you can't quickly find a property to buy, finding one to rent won't necessarily be easy. In this case, be wary of telling the landlord you're renting whilst searching for a house to buy, because they may prefer an alternative tenant who is likely to stay longer.
Old Oct 21st 2022, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Good points. I think we'll be hard pressed to find something for 200k from what I'm seeing though. Although the price tags of 400 seem to be over inflated in some cases. Rents are high at around 1100 at least for the areas we are looking at. Maybe we will be in a better position to negotiate than when the market was on heat. Congrats on your home purchase!
Thanks
Yeah I bought in north Notts.
They are predicting mortgage rates to peak at 7-8%.
I would be paying 500-600 a month more on my mortgage over 5 years if the predictions happen. if I had waited another year.
500 x 60 monthly payments. So property market would need to crash 20% before i would be any better off if intrested rates are 8% next year.

Old Oct 21st 2022, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Thanks
Yeah I bought in north Notts.
They are predicting mortgage rates to peak at 7-8%.
I would be paying 500-600 a month more on my mortgage over 5 years if the predictions happen. if I had waited another year.
500 x 60 monthly payments. So property market would need to crash 20% before i would be any better off if intrested rates are 8% next year.
Do you mind me asking where in North Notts ? We are looking at Notts and surrounding areas but want to be no more than 20 mins from city centre.
Old Oct 24th 2022, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this info! We are going to be looking around Loughborough and Nottinghamshire areas (ideally a village location if we can make it happen). Agree about Rightmove and areas ~ after looking at the "street view" on what seem beautiful houses, I've been disappointed! We plan to move next Spring and would love to be able to purchase something before that to avoid spending on rent . Noticing many new builds everywhere also . Will drive around next month when we come over for a vacation!
A friend who now lives in Yorkshire said that’s “South Nottinghamshire is nicer but more expensive” could you look at areas in the south of Derbyshire ie Alfreton, Belper and Matlock and Melbourne are nice areas Hucknall and Papplewick are nice good luck not sure about the travel time but Wirksworth and Cromford are nice but small. We have travelled around theses area quite a lot over time (my DH family originally “came from” these areas in Derbyshire so it was lovely to explore. Good luck
Old Oct 24th 2022, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

There's a report out today saying that house prices in big city centres have risen more than in suburban / rural areas in the past year. Seems to be the reversal of the post covid trend, where being locked down gave people an appetite for more space, and the increase in working from home meant people could do their jobs remotely from the office. House price increases reflected this as city centre properties became less attractive. Now some people are being required to return to working from the office, and probably some have discovered they prefer city centre living, and city centre properties are more attractive. I expect the weak pound will attract overseas investors, who also tend to invest more in cities. It could be a good time to be looking to buy in a village / smaller town vs. a large city.