Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Health and Safety gone mad again!

UK Health and Safety gone mad again!

Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:38 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Health and Safety gone mad again!

Originally Posted by meauxna
NO! Apostrophe abuse is serious business!

There's a new video posted in immigration, walking people through the Embassy grounds & process and there's a big fat sign with an arrow which says: VISA'S --->
argh! My tax dollars at work.
This is actually the grammatically correct way to pluralise English borrow words in Dutch. It drives me nuts when I see it, but baby's is the correct plural for more than one baby (kinder, kinderen for child/children).
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

If health & safety and political correctness had always ruled the UK this is what might have happened;

Nelson: “Order the signal.”

Hardy: “Aye, aye sir.”

Nelson: “Hold on, that’s not what I dictated to Flags. What’s the meaning of this?”

Hardy: “Sorry sir?”

Nelson (reading aloud): ” England expects every person to do his or her duty, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious persuasion or disability. What gobbledegook is this?”

Hardy: “Admiralty policy, I’m afraid sir. We’re an equal opportunities employer now. We had the devil’s own job getting ‘ England ‘ past the censors, lest it be considered racist.”

Nelson: “Gadzooks Hardy. Hand me my pipe and tobacco.”

Hardy: “Sorry sir. All naval vessels have now been designated smoke-free working environments.”

Nelson: “In that case, break open the rum ration. Let us splice the mainbrace to steel the men before battle.”

Hardy: “The rum ration has been abolished Admiral. It’s part of the Government’s policy on binge drinking.”

Nelson: “Good heavens Hardy. I suppose we’d better get on with it…full speed ahead.”

Hardy: “I think you’ll find that there’s a 4 knot speed limit in this stretch of water.”

Nelson: “Damn it man! We are on the eve of the greatest sea battle in history. We must advance with all dispatch. Report from the crow’s nest please.”

Hardy: “That won’t be possible sir.”

Nelson: “What?”

Hardy: “Health and Safety have closed the crow’s nest sir. No harness, and they said the rope ladders don’t meet regulations. They won’t let anyone up there until proper scaffolding can be erected.”

Nelson: “Then get me the ship’s carpenter without delay Hardy.”

Hardy: “He’s busy knocking up a wheelchair access to the foredeck Admiral.”

Nelson: “Wheelchair access? I’ve never heard anything so absurd.”

Hardy: “Health and Safety again sir. We have to provide a barrier-free environment for the differently abled.”

Nelson: “Differently abled? I’ve only one arm and one eye and I refuse even to hear mention of the word. I didn’t rise to the rank of Admiral playing the disability card.”

Hard: “Actually you did sir. The Royal Navy is under-represented in the areas of visual impairment and limb deficiency.”

Nelson: “Whatever next? Give me full sail. The salt sea beckons.”

Hardy: “A couple of problems there too sir. Health and Safety won’t let the crew up the rigging without hard hats, and they don’t want anyone breathing in too much salt – haven’t you seen the adverts?”

Nelson: “I’ve never heard such infamy. Break out the cannon and tell the men to stand by to engage the enemy.”

Hardy: “The men are a bit worried about shooting at anyone Admiral.”

Nelson: “What? This is mutiny!”

Hardy: “It’s not that sir. It’s just that they are afraid of being charged with murder if they actually kill anyone. There’s a couple of legal-aid lawyers on board, watching everyone like hawks.”

Nelson: “Then, how are we to sink the Frenchies and the Spanish?”

Hardy: “Actually sir, we’re not.”

Nelson: “We’re not?”

Hardy: “No sir. The French and Spanish are our European partners now. According to the Common Fisheries Policy we shouldn’t even be in this stretch of water. We could get hit with a claim for compensation.”

Nelson: “But you must hate the Frenchman as you hate the devil.”

Hardy: “I wouldn’t let the ship’s diversity co-ordinator hear you saying that sir. You’ll be up on disciplinary report.

Nelson: “You must consider every man an enemy who speaks ill of our King.”

Hardy: “Not any more sir. We must be inclusive in this multicultural age. Now put on your Kevlar vest. It’s the rules. It could save your life.”

Nelson: “Don’t tell me – Health and Safety. Whatever happened to rum, sodomy and the lash?”

Hardy: “As I explained sir. The rum is off the menu and there’s a ban on corporal punishment.”

Nelson: “What about sodomy?”

Hardy: “I believe that is now legal sir.”

Nelson: “In that case…

…kiss me Hardy.”
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:15 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of apostrophes, (or should that be apostrophe's??) why is it that I see countless times on mailboxes the surname of the family with an apostrophe followed by an s? e.g. Smith's .... it irritates me
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
Speaking of apostrophes, (or should that be apostrophe's??) why is it that I see countless times on mailboxes the surname of the family with an apostrophe followed by an s? e.g. Smith's .... it irritates me
Why?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Why?
Great band, the Smith's.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Great band, the Smith's.
Did they own a house with a postbox?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Did they own a house with a postbox?
I think they lived in different houses when in England, so they probably had several letter box's.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think they lived in different houses when in England, so they probably had several letter box's.

I guess they had right to put an apostrophe there, then. It belonged to them....
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess they had right to put an apostrophe there, then. It belonged to them....
But they had different one's.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:43 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Great band, the Smith's.
Does Johnny Marr every contribute to these forums? what with him living in Portland.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does everything have to be so anal? Wow....
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's one that people have debated over the ages... yes, the possessive works (your example) but it's ugly to look at.
It reminds me of my dear departed neighbor's junky boat parked across the road. The boat's name? MOM'S YOT

Stop it! My eyes!!!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Does Johnny Marr every contribute to these forums? what with him living in Portland.
He never calls me, either.

What’s the story behind your move to Portland?

I moved to Portland when I went over there to play with Modest Mouse. I’ve been in different places in the states over the years, but something about Portland just clicked with me. Portland was always the place that when you came through there on tour you wish you had a day off. My friends from Chicago and California were all fairly quizzical as to why I’d want to move to a place where it rains a lot. But first, I think Americans think Portland rains more than it does. And secondly, even if it does, if you’re from Manchester, England, then Portland is like Hawaii. You get to see plenty of blue sky.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:32 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's one that people have debated over the ages... yes, the possessive works (your example) but it's ugly to look at. [snip]
But my argument has always been, that the plural of Smith for the Smith Family, would be 'The Smiths,' not 'The Smith's' which I see as no different to the greengrocer's sign that says 'Apple's'.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:16 am

But my argument has always been, that the plural of Smith for the Smith Family, would be 'The Smiths,' not 'The Smith's' which I see as no different to the greengrocer's sign that says 'Apple's'.
I agree with you.. IF they used 'the' in front of Smith's. If it just says Smith's than it is a box belonging to the Smith family. Even then, it might depend on whether or not the 't' is capitalized or not..

As poor as our education is here, how can you expect us to get it right anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.