Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Health and Safety gone mad again!

UK Health and Safety gone mad again!

Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Health and Safety gone mad again!

My daughter e mailed me yesterday moaning that she couldn't even take her kids swimming (5, 3 and 2 yr olds) I assumed this was yet another excuse to con money out of me because she's always broke! But oh no, here's a bit from the local pools website......

ALL CHILDREN UNDER 8 YEARS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT 16 YEARS AND ABOVE.
Children under 5's must be accompanied on a ratio of 1 adult to 1 child.
Children between the age's of 5 - 8 must be accompanied in the water by an adult at all times on a ratio of 1 adult to 2 children.

So all her friends have young children and any spare adults without kids are at work! I feel so sorry for the kids all 3 can swim and love it.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:41 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Health and Safety gone mad again!

Originally Posted by traceym
My daughter e mailed me yesterday moaning that she couldn't even take her kids swimming (5, 3 and 2 yr olds) I assumed this was yet another excuse to con money out of me because she's always broke! But oh no, here's a bit from the local pools website......

Children between the age's of 5 - 8 must be accompanied in the water by an adult at all times on a ratio of 1 adult to 2 children.

So all her friends have young children and any spare adults without kids are at work! I feel so sorry for the kids all 3 can swim and love it.

Hope that next time they're there they pee in the damn thing.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

What's also depressing is the abuse of the humble apostrophe on that website (yes, Tracey's quote is verbatim), as well as that of the English language in general. I try to use and teach at least a reasonable level of grammar and punctuation but then get confronted by "official" signs that screw all my hard work

Yeah, ok, so I really ought to lighten up.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:23 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
What's also depressing is the abuse of the humble apostrophe on that website (yes, Tracey's quote is verbatim), as well as that of the English language in general. I try to use and teach at least a reasonable level of grammar and punctuation but then get confronted by "official" signs that screw all my hard work

My god you're right! That's it - they should poo in it. :curse:
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
My god you're right! That's it - they should poo in it. :curse:
Thats if she can ever find 2 spare adults with nothing better to do!

I'll mention the pooing to Logie (2) he'd be up for it
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM

NO! Apostrophe abuse is serious business!

There's a new video posted in immigration, walking people through the Embassy grounds & process and there's a big fat sign with an arrow which says: VISA'S --->
argh! My tax dollars at work.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:02 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by meauxna
NO! Apostrophe abuse is serious business!

There's a new video posted in immigration, walking people through the Embassy grounds & process and there's a big fat sign with an arrow which says: VISA'S --->
argh! My tax dollars at work.
Death's too good for them. They should all be force-fed cucumber.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Death's too good for them. They should all be force-fed cucumber.
Oh yes. Cucumber is this household's version of sprouts.
Not YOUR household version of sprouts, but the way most people think of them.
You know. Noisy.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:05 am
Septic Sprout

Oh yes. Cucumber is this household's version of sprouts.
Not YOUR household version of sprouts, but the way most people think of them.
You know. Noisy.
Do cucumber farts smell as vile as the offensive vegetable itself?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:12 am

Do cucumber farts smell as vile as the offensive vegetable itself?
(they actually make him burp)
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:13 am
Septic Sprout

(they actually make him burp)
I just sicked up a little bit on my keyboard.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

H&S is getting beyond now! The place where i've just ceased employment had forms which we had to sign on safely boiling a kettle to make a brew! The lunatics truly have taken over the asylum!!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:46 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym

And they wonder why we are crap at swimming in the Olympics... these could be our future Olympians being stopped at the first hurdle!

I agree - poo in the pool, poo in the pool!!!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:48 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

not being funny- but every pool ive visited in the US has had signs similar to that. I cant take my 3 kids on my own full stop.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MsElui
not being funny- but every pool ive visited in the US has had signs similar to that. I cant take my 3 kids on my own full stop.
Thats a shock, I assumed it was just the crazy UK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.