Uk Education Equivalents

Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Sopeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Uk Education Equivalents

Hi all,

Does anyone know how a Canadian High School Diploma equates to UACS/A-Levels? I'm a Canadian & UK citizen looking to find work in the UK, and live there for the first time!

I'm trying to apply to graduate schemes in the UK, and applications often ask for UACS/A-Level grades, and sometimes GCSE grades. I have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), with a 94.8% average during grade 12. However, I never took part in Advanced Placement Programme courses, which I have seen show up on websites as an equivalent. Can OSSD courses be equated to A-Levels? I also have Undergraduate and Master degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I hope all is going well with your transitions. Many thanks for any help you can offer. Cheers.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Education Equivalents

most UK universities accept for entrance purposes the "Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), with a 94.8% average during grade 12" as equivalent to A Levels

Simple answer is A level for what you asked. Scroll down to 'C' for the Canadian entrants

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...qualifications

Last edited by not2old; Feb 25th 2015 at 3:08 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your reply.

Do you know of a website that offers reliable grade equivalents between OSSD (or a general Canadian high school diploma) and A levels? I've finished university, and I'm currently applying for jobs, some of which ask for grades from A levels. UK NARIC offers a service for an official comparison, but the minimum cost is £85! I have a tight budget at the moment, so it would be great if there is a way to avoid such a high fee.

Again, I really appreciate your help.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately the pay for the equivalent is the proper way to go & there are several recognized & accepted services such as 'wes'

Likely you've already seen this, if not, read the tabs within the following link & see if it gets you what you're after

Qualifications explained| EducationUK (Canada)

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qu...ication-levels
Old Feb 25th 2015, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I may have to bite the bullet and pay for the equivalent service. Thanks again for your help. Have a great day.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't your university degrees matter more than high school grades, even if some positions are asking about A levels? I know that in Canada the majority of employers immediately forget about high school once they see that you have a university degree.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I completely agree. Having obtained my MBA, I don't understand the relevancy of explaining my high school grades to a potential employer. That being said, it seems that in the UK A-levels are valued much higher than high school in Canada. Also, the issue mainly comes up when applying to graduate schemes or entry level positions with automated application processes - early on there is a section where I have to enter specific A-level courses and grades, or I can't continue to the next step of the application. It is a pain
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sopeo
Also, the issue mainly comes up when applying to graduate schemes or entry level positions with automated application processes - early on there is a section where I have to enter specific A-level courses and grades, or I can't continue to the next step of the application. It is a pain
You could just say you've not got A levels when it asks (which is true). If you've got a degree and am MBA the A levels are of no relevance anyway.

Good luck.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sopeo
Yes, I completely agree. Having obtained my MBA, I don't understand the relevancy of explaining my high school grades to a potential employer. That being said, it seems that in the UK A-levels are valued much higher than high school in Canada. Also, the issue mainly comes up when applying to graduate schemes or entry level positions with automated application processes - early on there is a section where I have to enter specific A-level courses and grades, or I can't continue to the next step of the application. It is a pain
They're not if they aren't your highest level of educational achievement. In your case they will not be looked at.

I've never applied for a job with an automated application process such as you describe, but if I did, in your situation I'd just put A-level grade A in three or four random subjects and screw them if they have a problem with that.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Yeah, it is more for large multinational companies. I have just started to do as you said and enter something at that stage to proceed with the application. Cheers guys!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You could just say you've not got A levels when it asks (which is true). If you've got a degree and am MBA the A levels are of no relevance anyway.

Good luck.
But when using computerized forms such as that not listing A-levels might result in an automatic disqualification.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
But when using computerized forms such as that not listing A-levels might result in an automatic disqualification.
Highly unlikely if he's got a degree & MBA though.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Read the OP's post. The computerized form wouldn't let him go to the next step until he put something into the A level boxes. In his case it really doesn't matter what.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
They're not if they aren't your highest level of educational achievement. In your case they will not be looked at.

I've never applied for a job with an automated application process such as you describe, but if I did, in your situation I'd just put A-level grade A in three or four random subjects and screw them if they have a problem with that.
I would only do that if there was a space on the on line form for free form entry which could be used to explain the situation. Otherwise you are not telling the truth - aka I would not subscribe to the "screw them" approach.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:24 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Wombat7
I would only do that if there was a space on the on line form for free form entry which could be used to explain the situation. Otherwise you are not telling the truth - aka I would not subscribe to the "screw them" approach.
But the OP said he graduated high school in Ontario with a 94.5% average. That's the equivalent of 3 A level grade As. I agree about adding an explanation if possible, but the only way he could get past the A-level question to even find out if a free form space was offered later was to put something in the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.