Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:19 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK to crack down on benefit fraud from abroad (incl US)

Originally Posted by robin1234
I wish the UK would increase the amount of the Winter Fuel Payment though... it doesn't go very far this year, with the price of fuel oil here in the northeast.
If only!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I predict that the suicide rates on BE will hardly spike at all.
Oh I don't know....
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

insearchoflife will become famous soon enough

Just wondering if we moved to Australia or Canada and have a UK part time internet based business of autopilot paid in a UK bank will we receive child benefit as will be paying national insurance contributions.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by insearchoflife
Just wondering if we moved to Australia or Canada and have a UK part time internet based business of autopilot paid in a UK bank will we receive child benefit as will be paying national insurance contributions.
This is from the HM Revenue and Customs website:

If you're going abroad permanently, or expect to be away for more than 52 weeks, you won't qualify for Child Benefit unless both of the following apply:
  • you are moving to an EEA country or Switzerland
  • you are paying UK NICs or receiving a UK National Insurance-related benefit
EEA countries are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

You'll stop qualifying on the Sunday following the day you leave the UK or on the day itself if that's a Sunday.

If your child is staying in the UK and is being looked after by someone else, that person might want to claim Child Benefit.

You must let us know if you plan to move abroad permanently or if you're likely to be away for more than a year.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

insearchoflife will become famous soon enough

Thanks Sue for that answer. Makes a lot of sense.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michelmas
I'm sorry, but i have never heard a bigger load of crap for a long time. Conservative politicians are by far and away the biggest liars of all politicians in the UK, stemming from the time that pig Thatcher was in power. Labour are liars too, but in my experience conservative politicians were worse.

I don't believe a word that comes out of any politicians mouth and fully expect them to completely ignore everything they said during the elections and do what they need to to serve their own needs. Period. It has nothing to do with winning with a majority or having to be in a coalition. All that means is that they have a scape goat in the other party for not allowing them to follow through with their campaign promises.

You're right that the tax payers money is ending up in the wrong hands. The rich get richer, the poor poorer. You only have to look at the plan for ceding control to local councils and the resultant budget changes. Typically the Labour held poorer Northern bouroughs get upto a 38% CUT in funding while predominately conservative bouroughs in the south are actually getting a budget increase.

Yeah, that's real fair.

FACING 25 TO 29 PER CENT REDUCTIONS

Burnley Borough Council - Lib Dem Bolsover District Council - Labour South Tyneside Council - Labour Hartlepool Borough Council - Labour Blackburn and Darwen Borough Council - Labour Copeland Borough Council - Labour Liverpool City Council - Labour Sefton Council - No overall control Doncaster Council - Labour NE Lincs Council - No overall control Sunderland City Council - Labour Hull City Council - Lib Dem Blackpool Borough Council - Conservative Wolverhampton City Council - No overall control

FACING 30 TO 38 PER CENT REDUCTIONS

Barrow-in-Furness - No overall control Lancaster City Council - No overall control Hastings Borough Council - Labour Great Yarmouth Borough Council - Conservative Pendle Borough Council - No overall control Hyndburn Borough Council - No overall control

GAINING 30 TO 38 PER CENT INCREASES

South Cambridgeshire District Council - Conservative West Oxfordshire District Council - Conservative Tunbridge Wells District Council - Conservative Uttlesford District Council - Conservative Reigate and Banstead District Council - Conservative Dartford Borough Council - Conservative Harborough District Council - Conservative
I love the way that no one has commented on this post in an attempt to keep this thread on track LOL. It does amaze me how people can have such differing views about the same situation whether you be pro Labour (buying votes off the lower classes by increasing benefits and "making up" useless jobs in the public sector) to the Conservatives which I know they usually want to ensure that the more well off & middle classes are ok (quite right in my view ) but I think this time they are doing the right thing to make these necessary cuts in the public sector.

I used to Internal Audit the public sector (schools, councils, uni's, hospitals) and the depts were poorly organized (there were one or two exceptions....) and wasted money and resources. Staff taking 30 min coffee breaks at 11 after turning up for work at 9, taking a whole lunch hour, then another 30 min coffee break and then just downing "tools" at 4.30/5pm to go home - who the hell does that in the private sector!

Public sector pay used to be lower and that kind of made sense when they worked a lot less hours, but the pay is comparable now and even more in many circumstances. Let the barrage from ex coal miners, ex steel workers, ex car production workers and NHS managers commence............oh, and I used to live in Tunbridge Wells and paid a packet in Council Tax and income tax as well so I'm all for the increase down South!

Last edited by NSBlake; Feb 18th 2011 at 2:51 pm. Reason: Spelling....
Old Feb 18th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
£66m is a tiny amount compared with the total welfare budget. I suspect that NHS fraud from non-residents returning for treatment is far higher.
I've seen it in action with my own eyes. Benefits Tourism is a well documented aspect of life here in the UK - free treatment courtesy of the British taxpayers.

AT LONG LAST we have a Government with the balls to tackle the massive problem of social welfare abuse in this country, including deliberately fraudulent claims on public money. If all the benefits paid out to fraudulent and/or non deserving individuals over recent years, especially during the last Labour Government, then the current UK financial deficit would be cut hugely, and maybe wiped out altogether.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:50 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSBlake
I love the way that no one has commented on this post in an attempt to keep this thread on track LOL.
FYI, people typically only comment on posts like you did if they disagree with them or they are patently wrong. In this case, neither applies. And just to keep the record straight, I had 3 replies to me via PM and karma fully supporting what I said.

All politicians are liars - fact, All politicians line there own pockets in any way they can - fact. It's shear blind stupid luck if the common man actually gets any benefits along the way.

Originally Posted by NSBlake
to the Conservatives which I know they usually want to ensure that the more well off & middle classes are ok (quite right in my view )
What an asinine comment.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

All politicians are liars - fact, All politicians line there own pockets in any way they can - fact. It's shear blind stupid luck if the common man actually gets any benefits along the way.
You state two opinions here followed by the word "fact."
The first may be broadly true. I listen to the BBC Radio 4 PM Programme most days, and it is a depressing fact that Government ministers and spokespeople are indeed forced into a position where they have to lie or be sparing with the truth. Fortunately in the UK we have people like Eddie Mair who are pretty good at speaking truth to power, in the US the press (print & broadcast) are so incompetent and/or in the pocket of vested interests that they are obsequious to politicians .. the populace are treated like sheep to be fleeced.
The second statement, that all politicians line their own pockets, is simply not true. I believe there are many who have achieved high office and have eventually retired with no more than their legitimate salary & pension to their name.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 3:53 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

You state two opinions here followed by the word "fact."
The first may be broadly true. I listen to the BBC Radio 4 PM Programme most days, and it is a depressing fact that Government ministers and spokespeople are indeed forced into a position where they have to lie or be sparing with the truth. Fortunately in the UK we have people like Eddie Mair who are pretty good at speaking truth to power, in the US the press (print & broadcast) are so incompetent and/or in the pocket of vested interests that they are obsequious to politicians .. the populace are treated like sheep to be fleeced.
The second statement, that all politicians line their own pockets, is simply not true. I believe there are many who have achieved high office and have eventually retired with no more than their legitimate salary & pension to their name.
Works both ways. You state that my second statement is "simply not true" and follow it up with "I believe" Where's your evidence?

No politician ever left office with less or the same wealth they went into it with. After serving in office, they then go on to collect ridiculous amounts as "consultants and board members for doing next to nothing other than having there well know name associated with a particular institution. The recent rash of headlines and convictions for politicians abusing the second home allowance etc is evidence enough that politicians are crooked. (I am aware it is a generalisation, but I think a valid one)
Old Feb 19th 2011, 4:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Works both ways. You state that my second statement is "simply not true" and follow it up with "I believe" Where's your evidence?

No politician ever left office with less or the same wealth they went into it with. After serving in office, they then go on to collect ridiculous amounts as "consultants and board members for doing next to nothing other than having there well know name associated with a particular institution. The recent rash of headlines and convictions for politicians abusing the second home allowance etc is evidence enough that politicians are crooked. (I am aware it is a generalisation, but I think a valid one)
I wrote "I believe." You wrote "fact."
You are assuming that, when they leave office, they are just trading on their big name to make money as consultants etc., and don't actually have any skills/insights/intellectual powers that might be worth the fees or salary. What about Shirley Williams, for instance; one of the greatest Labour and progressive British politicians of the post-war era. I could name dozens of others, the Conservative Prime Minister Ted Heath for one, just to be even-handed politically. Were they crooked? Shirley Williams served as a Professor at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. Was she just trading (in a crooked way) on her fame & power? I would say not (Just my opinion.. I'm not going to say "fact.")
Old Feb 19th 2011, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What about Dennis Skinner?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very soon to be a pensioner (I'm over 60 but less than 65...I'll move back to England and get my free bus pass too...if the UK Government takes away the free bus pass or means tests it, I'll be OK with that too...
The UK Coalition Government has emphatically stated that it will not put forward any measures that will adverselyaffect pensioners....ie people over the age of 60 although that age does not relate to the official retirement age for men, currently, or to women in the near future, whose State retirement age is to be raised in stages at an accelerated rate time wise and will be the same as the male equivalent at a date earlier than originally planned (many women of a certain age are very much up in arms over that one but all to no effect.....ie those women born at a certain age in 1953 will be eligible for their State pension at 66 years and 4 months, I believe, without checking for absolute accuracy.

Anyway, the new Government confirms that it has no intention of withdrawing free bus passes, annual Christmas bonus payments (which incredibly has been a measly £10 for decades now and is probably now worth about 25p in real terms vis a vis the original value). Also on the preservation list are the annual pensioner's Winter Fuel Payments, but whether that will be honoured, or the actual amounts involved retained at present levels, remains to be seen. I may well have been a Conservative supporter at last year's General Election (in the Lib Dem stronghold of Edinburgh West in which the Conservatives, as in many Scottish seats, saw a decline in their % vote there - I now live in a different Edinburgh constituency - Labour held Edinburgh North and Leith) and still am up to a point by and large, a fairly rare creature in Scotland compared with the mass of Tory blue which covers much of the electoral map of England, but I am now old enough to realise that any promise my by any politocos of any colour can only be taken at face value, so wait and see is the thing to do.

Bus passes issued in England can only be used on routes within England itself (not valid in Wales) and likewise Welsh issued passes are only accepted for journeys within Wales.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What about Dennis Skinner?
Yes Dennis Skinner is a good man. I admire George Galloway and I play that video of his contemptuous lecture to the contemptible US Senate Committee Hearing just to cheer myself up. But, he may be a charlatan and I crook, I'm not sure.
I happen to think that a high proportion of politicians are honorable women and men.. Dennis Skinner is a great example.
Boris Johnson and his predecessor as Mayor of London are both admirable politicians. I could think of many others.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Bus passes issued in England can only be used on routes within England itself (not valid in Wales) and likewise Welsh issued passes are only accepted for journeys within Wales.
I did not know that.. seems a bit parochial. In general though, I think that is a good benefit and a good way to subsidise bus services, thus benefiting people of all ageas, not just pensioners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.