UK Car Hire

Old May 6th 2008, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Car Hire

OH and I are traveling to Glasgow in Aug, and may need to rent/hire a car. What's the cheapest way to rent one? We don't normally rent cars, so not really sure how to find the best deals. Is renting through a site like Expedia, better than going to Hertz directly?

If I was renting a car here, I'd probably go through AAA to get a discount, but don't know if the same would apply for the UK.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:32 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Car Hire

If you have a UK CC, holidayautos.co.uk has always been cheapest IME. Otherwise, Priceline's got to be worth a look - car hire chains are all the same anyway, aren't they?
Old May 6th 2008, 5:37 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
OH and I are traveling to Glasgow in Aug, and may need to rent/hire a car. What's the cheapest way to rent one? We don't normally rent cars, so not really sure how to find the best deals. Is renting through a site like Expedia, better than going to Hertz directly?

If I was renting a car here, I'd probably go through AAA to get a discount, but don't know if the same would apply for the UK.
As I've said before, we use Nova. Two one-way rentals from LHR to EDI and then another 'regular' one at EDI. First time was Alamo and the other two were EuropCar.

IM me with any ??s
Old May 6th 2008, 6:33 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby has been using CarHire3000 both here and for booking stateside. Much much cheaper than Hertz.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

jo_march is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Arnold Clark for years but recently found Thrifty is cheaper. The big names like Avis and Hertz are usually much pricier. We used Fourmotion last year when we needed a minivan and a car and liked their service. One advantage with them is that you pick up your vehicle right across from the arrival area rather than having to wait for a shuttle.

You can get quotes online from most companies.

Last edited by jo_march; May 7th 2008 at 12:53 pm.
Old May 7th 2008, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

Hi:

There are two car rental consolidators who are excellent -- kemwell.com and autoeurope.com. Check both -- they will look identical because they use the same software!

Do note that neither is for making a "reservation" -- it it pay in advance. But you pay in US dollars and the way the dollar is going, that might not be a bad idea. I've used them both in the UK and on the continent.

Until you get the actual voucher, you will not know who the actual provider will be -- but they get they get the cars from mainline companies -- Alamo/National, Budget & Hertz from the times I've used them. Last year, the one I got from Kemwell was upgraded by National to a diesel with no extra charge! [Since we were driving into Eastern Europe -- we were given a Skoda Octavia wagon. A rebadged VW and it was quite nice.]
Old May 7th 2008, 6:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Try http://www.carrentals.com/

Prestwick airport code is PIK

I got a price of around $500 for two week in Aug from that