Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK based accountant who can file US taxes - suggestions

UK based accountant who can file US taxes - suggestions

Old Sep 13th 2023, 6:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK based accountant who can file US taxes - suggestions

Has anyone used a UK-based accountant to file their US taxes? If so, could you please say who, either here or by pm if preferred. I do have one in the US but am not filled with confidence so researching options.
Old Sep 13th 2023, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK based accountant who can file US taxes - suggestions

Yes, based in London but she is not taking on new clients. I plan on using Greenback or Taxes for Expats when she retires.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/

Old Sep 13th 2023, 10:19 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes, based in London but she is not taking on new clients. I plan on using Greenback or Taxes for Expats when she retires.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/

I'm hoping that by next year things will become simple enough that I can do it myself.

Is the taxes for expats a self-file using a form filing out bit of software (like turbo tax) or is it an actual person?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Sep 13th 2023 at 11:02 am.
Old Sep 13th 2023, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Is the taxes for expats a self-file using a form filing out bit of software (like turbo tax) or is it an actual person?
I believe that Greenback use a secure portal where you upload your documents and then you work with an individual assigned tax preparer.

From the taxes for expats website it states that you get an "Expert, human accountant working on your case" and "We never hire junior staff. No outsourcing, no middlemen: you’ll be working directly with an experienced (our average age is 42) CPA or EA who will handle your case from beginning to end."

I haven't actually used either company.

Old Sep 13th 2023, 12:47 pm

I believe that Greenback use a secure portal where you upload your documents and then you work with an individual assigned tax preparer.

From the taxes for expats website it states that you get an "Expert, human accountant working on your case" and "We never hire junior staff. No outsourcing, no middlemen: you’ll be working directly with an experienced (our average age is 42) CPA or EA who will handle your case from beginning to end."

I haven't actually used either company.

Ah, right, thank you.
Old Sep 23rd 2023, 12:51 am
Just Joined

steveaway2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Has anyone used a UK-based accountant to file their US taxes? If so, could you please say who, either here or by pm if preferred. I do have one in the US but am not filled with confidence so researching options.
Buzzacott Livingstone (London based) dealt with my US / UK tax affairs at the end of the '90s while I was living in London and I've just retained them to handle tax and financial issues re: me moving back to the UK from the US. No issues then or now (so far).
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to try to file my US taxes using software, what software will work for a UK resident? The software I have used previously in the US doesn't support users with a foreign address. I assume I should be using a UK address when filing?
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kateg60
I want to try to file my US taxes using software, what software will work for a UK resident? The software I have used previously in the US doesn't support users with a foreign address. I assume I should be using a UK address when filing?
I use TurboTax, and I believe TaxAct also works. No problem in using foreign addresses.

One problem is buying it in the first place. I maintain a US credit card with a US address (a forwarding address service that my daughter uses).

I have heard that when buying it you can use your first line on the credit card address then just use the address of TaxAct or TurboTax and apparently that works to buy the software. I buy mine from Amazon.com (US store).
Old Nov 23rd 2023, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use TurboTax, and I believe TaxAct also works. No problem in using foreign addresses.

One problem is buying it in the first place. I maintain a US credit card with a US address (a forwarding address service that my daughter uses).

I have heard that when buying it you can use your first line on the credit card address then just use the address of TaxAct or TurboTax and apparently that works to buy the software. I buy mine from Amazon.com (US store).
Okay, thanks, I will check. I'm in the US 2-3 times/year so can always get it there. I've used TT before so that may be the best option.