Wikiposts

The uk and aus tvs

Old May 8th 2004, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

friends is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The uk and aus tvs

Just going back to uk. Does anyone no if the tvs from aus work there. When we came here they told us that the fax we had would not work here and it does. Has anyone talen one bck and tried it.
Old May 8th 2004, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

tammikat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The uk and aus tvs

Yes they would do UK and Aus both work on Pal so you would have no problem, I still have a tv that was brought out over 20 years ago and still going strong and its no problem taking your tv there basically its just the plug etc that has to be changed

hope it helps
tammikat
Old May 8th 2004, 7:51 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Not necesarilly. Both do use PAL but the sound signal is broadcast differently and cheaper/older tvs may not work in pick up sound. Another hazard is that a lot of tubes are designed for the magnetic field of the hemisphere to compensate for the opposite vertical component of the earth's magnetic field.

Only way to be sure is to contact the manufacturer.
Old May 8th 2004, 7:53 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

That affects computer monitors as well. It'd be more than just a plug too, wouldn't it? Isn't the UK 110 volts? Australia is 220/240.
Old May 8th 2004, 8:01 pm

Originally posted by Ulujain
That affects computer monitors as well. It'd be more than just a plug too, wouldn't it? Isn't the UK 110 volts? Australia is 220/240.
Uk power is 240V/50Hz and compatible with OZ. The magnetic field issue can affect CRT computer monitors but not TFT (thin screen) monitors. Just to muddy the waters there are multi-hemispheric tubes but I am buggered if I know a way to find out other than contacting the manufacturer.
Old May 8th 2004, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

friends is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Not necesarilly. Both do use PAL but the sound signal is broadcast differently and cheaper/older tvs may not work in pick up sound. Another hazard is that a lot of tubes are designed for the magnetic field of the hemisphere to compensate for the opposite vertical component of the earth's magnetic field.

Only way to be sure is to contact the manufacturer.
Sounds to complicated for me but thanks for the advice.
Old May 8th 2004, 9:32 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by friends
Just going back to uk. Does anyone no if the tvs from aus work there. When we came here they told us that the fax we had would not work here and it does. Has anyone talen one bck and tried it.
We are taking our tv back to the UK. It's worth the gamble in our opinion. We wouldn't get much for it if we sold so we'll try it in the UK. Nothing to loose.
Old May 8th 2004, 9:46 pm

Sounds to complicated for me but thanks for the advice.
Basically some TVs will not pick up sound in the UK and the picture will become distorted over time.

Another possibility is to flog it on e-bay/trading post. Have a look on the web sites. www.ebay.com.au www.tradingpost.com.au for potential prices. I believe there is more choice of cheaper tvs in the UK.
Old May 9th 2004, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough

We recently brought our 6 month old Palsonic portable home to UK & the picture is clear but the sound is one big hiss & buzz!!

Will have to get the sound card chip changed to make it work here but havent checked how much it will cost
Old May 10th 2004, 8:44 am
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if I'm reading your comment properly but if I am you're saying you took a fax from the UK to Australia... Big Mistake!

If you ever have a problem with your phone line, do NOT under any circumstances admit to the phone company that you used a telecommunications device from overseas in their outlet. Any phone/fax/modem used in an Australian socket MUST be Austel approved. It is extremely illegal to use an unapproved device.

If there is a fault on your line and you admit to using a non-approved device, the phone company will charge you for the full cost of any repairs, including damaged equipment at the exchange (not cheap). Doesn't matter if it wasn't actually your device that caused the fault or not... It'd be up to you to prove them wrong...

Just a word of warning...
Old May 10th 2004, 9:37 am

Phone lines are standard. Are you saying international laptop users should not use their fax modems in hotels? It may be slightly illegal to use an unnapproved device but if you have already paid out for a device why not.

BTW I use a UK fax/modem without issue and I don't think Telstra could give a monkeys.