UK aint so bad!

Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:15 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK aint so bad!

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Thanks for that - whenever we've been further down south it has always been warmer but I really hadn't thought it would make such a big difference. I'll certainly be looking into it now. Just wish I'd done it before coming here, I'd have saved a flippin fortune
I moved from Cambridge to West Yorks and find the weather up here to be a bit milder in winter. None of those Siberian winds and horizontal rain. It does get cold up here, of course, but so far this year we've not had a frost - my dad, who lives in the Channel Islands and therefore as far south as you can go, has had several.

I think it also depends on the type of landscape that surrounds you - hilly vs flat, coastal vs inland etc etc
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bundy
I moved from Cambridge to West Yorks and find the weather up here to be a bit milder in winter. None of those Siberian winds and horizontal rain. It does get cold up here, of course, but so far this year we've not had a frost - my dad, who lives in the Channel Islands and therefore as far south as you can go, has had several.

I think it also depends on the type of landscape that surrounds you - hilly vs flat, coastal vs inland etc etc
The West of the UK is defo milder than the East... more rain but temps are higher. I was a keen gardener in the UK and i had plenty of plants go through the average Winter there that should have been killed off by frost. East is dryer, colder in Winter but hotter in Summer.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:27 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bundy

West Yorks is lovely. I think that because I come from St Helens which is a pretty grotty place, I just would like to live somewhere nice. Looking back now I think that we should have tried other places in the UK rather than come here to Australia. We were caught up with the hype of what a wonderful place it is here from members of our family and friends who had visited. To be honest the weather in the NW never stopped us doing anything, but it would be nice to live in more pleasant surroundings.

I think we are going to go back home for the first couple of years and then look at our options when the girls are settled. Mind you, hubby's brother only left home a couple of years ago aged 40, so I might have a longer to wait than I thought

Last edited by LouiseD; Jan 20th 2007 at 11:31 am.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:49 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there creature - we are about to move back to the UK and I'm from the NW. Just how much nicer is the weather further down south? We'll have to stay put for a few years as our girls are at college but hope the maybe explore further down the country in the future.
LouiseD

We now live on the South Coast and we would not have returned anywhere else. All my family is in the NW (Wigan area), and we would never have returned there. I could live there, but I wouldn't bring up our daughter there. There are different parts of course, but generally, the south affords a far better quality of life in our view. Miss the lakes though...
Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

eeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to alleeagles is a name known to all

The UK aint so bad, no. If it was I'd be outa here already, as I've always had the points to go to US, OZ, etc. But, leaving the UK is very very difficult for me, not because of family or friends or anything like that - I'm still trying to settle where I am after 7 years after moving from NW to SE, so don't have a huge network of mates here and no family...

There are many things that I hate about the UK... but I don't need to think about them much - they rarely or don't affect day to day life. But overall we do have it so good In the UK and it's possible you could have that too.

I have an option to transfer to NZ and while it seems like an exciting thing to do, the only thing I like the idea of, is that I could live in a really beautiful place and do the job I do, which is a very specilised role and not easy to come by. But, after months of research, I can't think of another reason I'd move away. Considering it all the same ( ) and taking steps. I'm very adaptable, so not too worried about it, even though I only see it as on a par with UK, worse in some respects, better in others.
There are loads of lovely places in the UK, you're sure to find one.
Elaine
Old Jan 20th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kapri
I can relate to what Shoz is saying about the U.K. weather. When you have young kids and dogs it does make it harder to go out in the wind and rain.
It doesn't stop us from going out but I find I do have to motivate myself a bit more.
We come back covered in mud and although we can leave our wellies in the garage we have to clean off the dogs paws. Our car is a complete state due to muddy kids and dogs
The cold really affects my ears too and gives me ear ache so I am looking forward to warmer weather and less rain.
By the way 12 people died in Britain this week due to the storms so our weather isn't always 'mild'.
You'd hate Canada then!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:56 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

West Yorks is lovely. I think that because I come from St Helens which is a pretty grotty place, I just would like to live somewhere nice. Looking back now I think that we should have tried other places in the UK rather than come here to Australia. We were caught up with the hype of what a wonderful place it is here from members of our family and friends who had visited. To be honest the weather in the NW never stopped us doing anything, but it would be nice to live in more pleasant surroundings.

I think we are going to go back home for the first couple of years and then look at our options when the girls are settled. Mind you, hubby's brother only left home a couple of years ago aged 40, so I might have a longer to wait than I thought
Hi Louise,
I now live on the South West coast and it's a lovely place to live, very beautiful and friendly with low crime and mild weather (most of the time).
However job opportunities are scarce and pay is low.My husband has to commute miles for well paid work and I hate my job but don't have the option locally to get another one. It's something to consider. We had high hopes for a move here but it hasn't worked out as well as I would have liked.
BTW I see you are returning from Melbourne. We are headed there. Can you say what it is you don't like about it or is it homesickness bringing you back?
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:06 pm

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi Louise,
I now live on the South West coast and it's a lovely place to live, very beautiful and friendly with low crime and mild weather (most of the time).
However job opportunities are scarce and pay is low.My husband has to commute miles for well paid work and I hate my job but don't have the option locally to get another one. It's something to consider. We had high hopes for a move here but it hasn't worked out as well as I would have liked.
BTW I see you are returning from Melbourne. We are headed there. Can you say what it is you don't like about it or is it homesickness bringing you back?
Hi Kapri - it's not really a case of not liking Melbourne, as the city itself is really lovely, plenty to see and do, loads of shops, restaurants etc. The bayside area where we live is so nice (but a bit boring) and my drive to work every day along the beach road is fantastic.

We have two teenage daughters though, one went back after 6 weeks and the other found it very difficult to adapt to life here as it is so much quieter than the UK. She did make a few friends here but every night out involved at least a 40 minute journey into the city, then she either had to stay over at friends or get a taxi back again. She missed her sister too so decided at Christmas to stay in England. My husband has also struggled with work - he's a brickie and earns a lot less here despite stories of them being desperate for tradesmen. The cost of living here is quite high so we just don't have the same lifestyle that we had in the UK. We love to travel and had plans of being able to do that here, but in reality we just can't.

If our girls were younger, we'd probably give it longer here as it does seem a nice environment for kids to grow up in, plenty of family barbeque areas, kids playgrounds, beaches etc.

Good luck with your move, I'm sure you will love it
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
LouiseD

We now live on the South Coast and we would not have returned anywhere else. All my family is in the NW (Wigan area), and we would never have returned there. I could live there, but I wouldn't bring up our daughter there. There are different parts of course, but generally, the south affords a far better quality of life in our view. Miss the lakes though...
Ah the Lakes - we used to go for day trips quite a lot and then always for a few days break just before Christmas each year. Beautiful hotel overlooking the lake, with lovely big Chesterfields around a roaring fire. The Salvation Army was always out playing carols in Ambleside. Cant wait to see it again.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by eeagles
The UK aint so bad, no. If it was I'd be outa here already, as I've always had the points to go to US, OZ, etc. But, leaving the UK is very very difficult for me, not because of family or friends or anything like that - I'm still trying to settle where I am after 7 years after moving from NW to SE, so don't have a huge network of mates here and no family...

There are many things that I hate about the UK... but I don't need to think about them much - they rarely or don't affect day to day life. But overall we do have it so good In the UK and it's possible you could have that too.

I have an option to transfer to NZ and while it seems like an exciting thing to do, the only thing I like the idea of, is that I could live in a really beautiful place and do the job I do, which is a very specilised role and not easy to come by. But, after months of research, I can't think of another reason I'd move away. Considering it all the same ( ) and taking steps. I'm very adaptable, so not too worried about it, even though I only see it as on a par with UK, worse in some respects, better in others.
There are loads of lovely places in the UK, you're sure to find one.
Elaine

You are so right here - so many of us get sucked into all the media hype about how bad the UK is, but as I've said before, how does it actually affect our day to day life? We do have so much to be proud of in the UK but for some of us, we only appreciate it when we've left it behind. At least you seem wise enough to know what you have right now and to realise that while other countries may be different, that doesn't necessarily mean better
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:12 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Buzzards
We have been considering emigrating to oz and have looked into it quite a lot - forums have been extremely useful but have also made me realise that the UK aint so bad! If you think it is bad where you live then maybe you need to relocate yuselves in the UK. We live in the Shropshire/Herefordshire border - beaut countryside, fab schools and extremely low crime rate. Teenagers in our village are polite and apart from normal teenage things like drinking and smoking in the park are pretty good. We think we're taxed to the hilt on salaries in the UK but in fact in oz you pay 8% more on you entire salary (no tax allowance like we all get in UK). Ok so we could have a lovely home, be mortgage free and live in the sun in oz but salaries are less, plagued by flies and lots of other downsides so if you're considering it then just because of yob culture, immigrants, tax etc in uk then maybe you need to relocate closer to home. (Not a foreigner in site where I live unless you count the brummies here on hols!). I'd rather be financially stable and cold in the Uk than penny pinching and hot in Oz but hey that's our decision! Good luck whatever you all do and enjoy life.
Plagued by flies! Sorry but this utter nonsense. I only notice flies in certain outback areas and the odd one or two buzzing about in the house during summer (easily killed with a short burnst of Mortein.)
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:37 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Plagued by flies! Sorry but this utter nonsense. I only notice flies in certain outback areas and the odd one or two buzzing about in the house during summer (easily killed with a short burnst of Mortein.)
Melbourne metro is certainly not outback and I can't go for a walk in the summer months for the pesky things trying to get up my nose, in my eyes behind my sunnies,in my mouth and in my ears, bloody persistant they are too. So who's talking utter nonsense Denver.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:39 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
is that why when I walk along west coast highway in perth I see all the walkers (including me) with bits of tree doing the WA wave. Get a grip Denver you can defend your country without coming out with shit like that.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:42 pm
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meljor
Melbourne metro is certainly not outback and I can't go for a walk in the summer months for the pesky things trying to get up my nose, in my eyes behind my sunnies,in my mouth and in my ears, bloody persistant they are too. So who's talking utter nonsense Denver.
Same here in Sydney, they wait at the flyscreens and ambush us when we open them, I've taken to carting a tea towel around and zapping them when they aren't looking
(much more environmentally friendly than spraying with chemicals)
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meljor
I agree, while flies alone wouldn't send me home, along with severe lack of ozone layer they have kept me from doing lots of what I expected to be able to here - any length of time on the beach, picnics, riding, walking - general outside stuff. If someone had told me that before I experienced it I would have thought they were fussing but they are truly awful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.