Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The UK aint that bad really

The UK aint that bad really

Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:41 am
Just Joined

b121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The UK aint that bad really

Ive moved abroad a few times now and always seem to end up back in the UK, due to work or just home sick missing family

Now been thinking about going abroad again due to job allowing me to work from home it be abit easier this time

But after alot research and reading about the cost living expenses etc... and peoples stories here

Im starting to wonder what im trying escape or run away from, i think we all think that the grass is greener on the other side, after a couple times living abroad i know this aint really true everywhere has its PRO's and CON's

Its nice living near a beach and better summers but i theres also alot stress untill you get settled

After chatting with my brother i think the penny dropped the UK has many amazing places but most people who want go abroad just like me have probably lived in same location most if not all there life

Ive always lived in the same area london, but love going down my brothers in kinda country side town

I have friends in dorset which i liked when visiting

So spending nearly 30 years in same area except 2 years living abroad which i enjoyed i think im just bored of the area i live in

So is the UK really that bad or where we just trying run away, and thinking the grass is greener on the other side ?

Kinda like when you met someone from abroad and they love it here and want to move to the UK - you think really why

But when you say i want to move where they live they normally say the same thing why

Anyway just wondered if others thought the same
Old Mar 15th 2012, 12:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK aint that bad really

For us personally the UK and specifically England is a fantastic place to live and i can understand why so many people want to live there. Before my last visit "home" just over 12 months ago i was warned that there were gangs on every corner, shop staff were all miserable, everyone is worried about their jobs etc etc. More than one told me the UK was a shithole, there was nothing there for anyone, couldnt imagine bringing up kids there etc. I was extremely pleasantly surprised when i arrived and found none of those things to be true
It is very clear that some expats dont want to think of any good things about their old country, whether it is a coping mechanism or whatever I dont know.
I agree though, the UK aint that bad really.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you just have a bit of a yearning for adventure. Personally I think the UK has it all for me - there is just so much variety in such a small space. Sure, living in one place all your life - you either love it or you dont, but you dont have to move to the other side of the world to get your adventure buzz - move north, south east or west from London and have a look at what is on your doorstep before deciding (expensively) that the grass might possibly be a teensy bit greener on the other side of the world!
Old Mar 16th 2012, 4:14 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

I've been working overseas for a number of years now and have found that most ex-pats fall into one of two categories.

Those who are running away from something. Those who are seeking a bit of an adventure.

The ones who are 'running away', are often those who couldn't bear to go back home.

Sometimes for practical or financial reasons; but more often because overseas they can re-invent themselves.

Here in the Middle East, average people on average salaries can have maids and nannies, exotic holidays and huge 4 x 4's - something they couldn't do back home and it can make them feel a bit 'special'.

The 'adventurers' are usually realists who recognise that this lifestyle is a temporary one.

They enjoy the experience, but don't 'go native', like the other sort.

They work hard, play hard, save hard - always with an eye on the political situation. Always with a reserve fund to hand should things become a bit sticky.

You sound like an 'Adventurer', to me.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

b121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
i was warned that there were gangs on every corner, shop staff were all miserable, everyone is worried about their jobs etc etc. More than one told me the UK was a shithole, there was nothing there for anyone, couldnt imagine bringing up kids there etc.
I hear this alot, would never bring kids up there etc... and in some parts of the UK i agree but every country has its rough areas

i had a friend who lived in a place where she didnt really let her son out due to the kids in the area doing nothing but smashing up the old abandoned nursing home

But they move down near cornwall and now they never see there son hes always out mountain biking, camping and generally just doing what kids should be doing climbing trees etc... quite mad seeing the difference and how much happier he is down there.

Originally Posted by quoll
Sounds like you just have a bit of a yearning for adventure.
This i love traveling and skiing but think we all think when we sitting in a nice location and the suns out "I could live here"

I found living in Spain weird because having nice beach down the road was great, but nearly everyone i met was on holiday and any friends you did make that lived there worked crazy hours or seemed broke

Originally Posted by Wub
I've been working overseas for a number of years now and have found that most ex-pats fall into one of two categories.

Those who are running away from something. Those who are seeking a bit of an adventure.

The ones who are 'running away', are often those who couldn't bear to go back home.

Sometimes for practical or financial reasons; but more often because overseas they can re-invent themselves.

Here in the Middle East, average people on average salaries can have maids and nannies, exotic holidays and huge 4 x 4's - something they couldn't do back home and it can make them feel a bit 'special'.

The 'adventurers' are usually realists who recognise that this lifestyle is a temporary one.

They enjoy the experience, but don't 'go native', like the other sort.

They work hard, play hard, save hard - always with an eye on the political situation. Always with a reserve fund to hand should things become a bit sticky.

You sound like an 'Adventurer', to me.

As you say people can reinvent themselfs, i found alot people where living a lie when i was abroad they tell me how great there doing and how great life is

Then hear them telling friend that they can afford the rent or owe 2 months rent etc..

Like a couple friends i had who had a resturant always empty but told me business and life was great, they didnt want to face up to the fact there dream was failing - 3 months later owing alot money they went back to the UK
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by b121
But after alot research and reading about the cost living expenses etc... and peoples stories here

So is the UK really that bad or where we just trying run away, and thinking the grass is greener on the other side ?
I think the grass is greener (or can be) - depending on what you want from your grass.

Long story short, I'd been looking to quit work early. Housing is cheap in Canada (especially this part) and the equity in my Bristol home enabled me to buy a home and a rental property. I can live modestly but comfortably with that rental income topping up my reduced pension.

So my grass was no longer having to work. Of course it helped having a Canadian wife

I miss bug free summers, proximity to nice seaside towns, country pubs and Europe, holidays etc but then I'm pretty much on holiday permanently.

As for experiences on here, I find that I just don't recognise Canada from the things many say. Or I do recognise someone's complaint but there's an advantage to go with it. As there is in the UK too.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

jonmof is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. After reading these comment, I thought I would add mine. I have no problem with the UK now. Before I moved to Oz, I would jump on the bandwagon and have a pop at everything that I thought was bad about the UK. After living in Oz for a while I came to the conclusion that the UK was actually quite a nice country to live in. My kids didn't want to move to Oz, I convinced them that life would be better. I was wrong. They're so happy back in UK. They spent most of life in Oz indoors hiding away from the sun and heat. I also met loads of expats in Oz who had re-invented themselves and would post things on facebook to brag to UK friends about their new life down under. These same friends were working longer and harder than they did in UK. They were constantly moaning about money and cost of living but took great delight in hearing anything bad about the UK. I found social gatherings in Oz with expats seemed to be spent slating Britain and bumming up Oz. Oz has it's good points, but so does UK. I lost count of how many Australian friends wished they could move to Britain.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:53 pm
Banned

aliciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nice

Ew I think the UK is awful haha London in particular.

Work isn't so bad at the moment, although the average salary doesn't seem to have changed over the past 20 years! Half the country is on benefits coz they have the same amount of money left over as when they work full time after they've paid all their bills. They tax you on EVERYTHING, it's unbelievable! So much violence and crime in this condensed and dirty little overpopulated city. Segregation, classism, racism, crappy weather, miserable people, it's expensive! Bloody awful!

I was born in London but moved to Australia with my family when I was younger. The grass truly is greener there...metaphorically and literally! lol Beaches, summer, smiley faces, decent wages, SPACE, clean air, great and affordable education system, work to live culture, natural wonders etc. Aaah it's the life!

Funnily enough I'm here in London working...
Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:15 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliciaf
Ew I think the UK is awful haha London in particular.

Work isn't so bad at the moment, although the average salary doesn't seem to have changed over the past 20 years! Half the country is on benefits coz they have the same amount of money left over as when they work full time after they've paid all their bills. They tax you on EVERYTHING, it's unbelievable! So much violence and crime in this condensed and dirty little overpopulated city. Segregation, classism, racism, crappy weather, miserable people, it's expensive! Bloody awful!

I was born in London but moved to Australia with my family when I was younger. The grass truly is greener there...metaphorically and literally! lol Beaches, summer, smiley faces, decent wages, SPACE, clean air, great and affordable education system, work to live culture, natural wonders etc. Aaah it's the life!

Funnily enough I'm here in London working...
So they don't have tax in OZ? WOW I'm moving there!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:18 pm
Banned

aliciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorry1
So they don't have tax in OZ? WOW I'm moving there!
lol they do, income tax is slightly higher! But you get a fat chunk of it back at the end of the financial year and we have such fewer taxes and charges. You don't have to pay to watch your own tv and you don't have to pay to park in front of your own house!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Segregation in the UK?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliciaf
But you get a fat chunk of it back at the end of the financial year and we have such fewer taxes and charges!

So why did I get a $10000 bill?...I have never got a chunk of tax back.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes our findings are very similar to yours. No doubt Australia suits many people but as most realise the UK is still a wonderful place to live. There are lots of expats who as you say will tell all their 'envious' friends back home who great everything is. For us it is so overregulated, so much needless red tape and it has become so expensive in recent times. As for silly comments like half the country being on benefits and wages being the same as 20 years ago i think we can all spot some trolling

Originally Posted by jonmof
Hi all. After reading these comment, I thought I would add mine. I have no problem with the UK now. Before I moved to Oz, I would jump on the bandwagon and have a pop at everything that I thought was bad about the UK. After living in Oz for a while I came to the conclusion that the UK was actually quite a nice country to live in. My kids didn't want to move to Oz, I convinced them that life would be better. I was wrong. They're so happy back in UK. They spent most of life in Oz indoors hiding away from the sun and heat. I also met loads of expats in Oz who had re-invented themselves and would post things on facebook to brag to UK friends about their new life down under. These same friends were working longer and harder than they did in UK. They were constantly moaning about money and cost of living but took great delight in hearing anything bad about the UK. I found social gatherings in Oz with expats seemed to be spent slating Britain and bumming up Oz. Oz has it's good points, but so does UK. I lost count of how many Australian friends wished they could move to Britain.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:09 pm
Banned

You are obviously lying, the tax office usually gives you back more tax than you actually paid

Originally Posted by Grayling

So why did I get a $10000 bill?...I have never got a chunk of tax back.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
You are obviously lying, the tax office usually gives you back more tax than you actually paid
I have the same problem as Grayling, I get a bill every year. My tax is so simple a dying duck could do it, one income, tax etc taken by my government employers at source. Nothing I can claim for. And every year I get a big bill, several hundred $$ usually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.