Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

U.S. SS and UK State Pension

U.S. SS and UK State Pension

Old Oct 13th 2015, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. SS and UK State Pension

Originally Posted by formula
Really? I wonder who that person was who said she was from the DWP, came to the house of some over 80s I know and filled in their benefits forms for them to make sure they got they should be claiming? The benefits all came through for them, so it can't have been a fraudster who arrived at their house.

I told them about this service from the DWP as the poor things never even knew that this help was available, or that there was money to help them. Reluctant at first to do this, as some elderly who have never claimed benefits are, I told them this money was already earmarked for them and was just waiting for them to take it as they had worked in the UK for over 60 years. They said the DWP person was lovely and talked about all the "help" they would be given.

Being professsional doesn't mean you know more, it just means you charge for your advice.
I know the Citizens Advice Bureau will help with forms and letter drafting if needed, too.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Windsong
If I've understood correctly, you're in Belfast? Am just wondering how easy you're finding it to settle in and make friends. My grandparents lived in Sandhurst Gdns and I went to Methodist College school and I have nice memories of the Stranmillis area. Although I still have family in Belfast, if/when we come back to the UK, we've set our sights on England. However, if I DID find myself back living in Belfast, the university area is where I would want to be.
Anyway, just wondering how your job hunt is going and how things are going on the social front.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
You can apply but you will have the same problem as they are both income based benefits. You are of Pension Credit qualifying age and have pensions you could take.

From the Housing Benefit circular for Housing Benefit staff dated 2 April 2015.

Effects on claimants who are of Pension Credit qualifing age.

Notional Income.

10. While a claimant's pension pot is held by the pension provider, notional income should be assumed from it.

and under 12. they say that the amount of notional income to be taken into account is the maximum amount of income that may be withdrawn from the pension pot
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...44/a7-2015.pdf

EDIT. Some councils have a Housing Benefit calculator on their websites.
Well, I thought I had put this matter to rest until someone suggested I appeal the refusal to pay pension credits due to the option of taking US SS at the age of 62. I am 63. I decided to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau to see what they would say before preparing an appeal. I thought it would be pointless but went anyway.

The person I met with at the CAB research this extensively while I was there and as I was told previously I am not entitled to pension credit. However just as I was leaving she told me that I am indeed entitled to housing benefit and council tax benefit. This surprised me greatly because I thought it was calculated the same way as the pension credit. I mentally wrote off what she told me, thinking I was not entitled to it but as I was leaving I made a comment about her being a social worker and she informed me she was a solicitor. That made me think twice about what she told me. Could she be right about my eligibility to receive council tax benefit and housing benefit?

Last edited by windsong; Nov 11th 2015 at 6:43 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 7:00 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

A CAB solicitor has probably seen lots if cases similar to yours, maybe not the same as having US SS must be rare, so I'd take her at her word.

FYI in Massaxhusetts your savings and retirement accounts are not taken into account when applying for benefits like MassHealth, health insurance subsidies, housing benefit or fuel allowance. They just want to see that your income for the last 3 months was below a certain level. I feel the safety net in MA is better than the one in the UK now.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Could she be right about my eligibility to receive council tax benefit and housing benefit?
Why don't you simply apply and find out for sure?