Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is U.K the easiest option for migrating for an individual from India?

Is U.K the easiest option for migrating for an individual from India?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:59 am
Banned

some is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is U.K the easiest option for migrating for an individual from India?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question and would appreciate if someone pointed me to the proper forum, but I needed some guidance on moving to U.K

For someone earning about 5lacs per annum in India and is under 27 it seems U.K is the easiest under the new points based migration scheme.

Is U.K the easiest option for migrating for an individual from India compared to other parts? I did a points estimate on the U.K immigration site and under the new scheme it seems quite a lot of people in the IT/accounting/finance/engineering and many other majors can easily move there. It seems there are very many people who are under 27, earning about 4-5 lacs per annum in India(and similarly in many other parts of world) with a Bachelors, enough English skills and some funds. Likewise, there would be a plethora of people from other countries also who can easily qualify.

Any reason they have made it so easy though Canada, Australia require some work experience(2 and 4 years respectively for skilled migrant visas), New Zealand needs a job offer most of the time and U.S. has heavy restrictions on number of visas?

Are there adequate IT jobs or is it hard to get employed in that field there?
Also are the salaries comparable to U.S. or do the high taxes leave little in savings?

My background is in IT and I have a Bachelors + Masters in it along with a couple of years of work experience.

I apologize again if this is the wrong forum, but I just was wondering when all other countries have lot more restrictions why is U.K so open? Does U.K. also have a fixed number of immigrant visas for each country like the U.S. after which the other applicants have to wait for the next year or are there some other barring factors which I have not considered like new licensing is required in the IT profession?

Also, does getting a immigrant visa typically take long for a case like me with no health/character issues. For Australia it takes about 2-3 years and for Canada about 5-6 years if applied from India for a person with my background.

Am I missing/overlooking some key factors?

Can someone please advise?

Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:13 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is U.K the easiest option for migrating for an individual from India?

My advice would be to go to the UK immigration website and see if there's any "points calculator" things you can do. You have a degree so I'm sure you'll be OK. Don't go to an immigration agent, they just tell you what you want to hear and take your cash.
If you dream of making it rich in the UK in IT I'm afraid that bubble burst a few years ago and the market is saturated now, therefore higher paying jobs are hard to find.
Housing is also very expensive in the UK at the moment and you'll struggle to get somewhere for a few years.
I cannot advise on processing times, again check the immigration website.

Good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:21 pm
Banned

Default Re: Is U.K the easiest option for migrating for an individual from India?

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
My advice would be to go to the UK immigration website and see if there's any "points calculator" things you can do. You have a degree so I'm sure you'll be OK.
Thanks for the reply. That I already did. I have enough points for U.K(90 and 75 is the lowest needed) and Canada(69 and 67 is minimum required)

If you dream of making it rich in the UK in IT I'm afraid that bubble burst a few years ago and the market is saturated now, therefore higher paying jobs are hard to find.
You mean it is hard to break in for a newbie like me who might come in as a prospective immigrant?
Compared to U.S. is it difficult or generally it is hard as there will be lots of people like me from all over the world due to the easy migration scheme?

Housing is also very expensive in the UK at the moment and you'll struggle to get somewhere for a few years.
As there are people in this group who have stayed in U.S, Canada, Australia I would appreciate some advice is it more difficult than U.S. and other countries in terms of finding jobs in IT or less or about the same?
I cannot advise on processing times, again check the immigration website.
Good luck.
Thanks. I appreciate your advice and time.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point

Decent IT jobs are harder to find in Canada, UK and the US with Canada being the hardest and US being the easiest here. UK market, I believe is now more saturated since the addition of more countries into EU.

As for job, US is your best bet.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

PatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nice

Have a look at the forum at www.immigrationboards.com

There is an absolute wealth of information on that forum regarding immigration to the UK on the HSMP / Tier 1 scheme
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Baadil
Decent IT jobs are harder to find in Canada, UK and the US with Canada being the hardest and US being the easiest here. UK market, I believe is now more saturated since the addition of more countries into EU.

As for job, US is your best bet.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your advice.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by PatM
Have a look at the forum at www.immigrationboards.com

There is an absolute wealth of information on that forum regarding immigration to the UK on the HSMP / Tier 1 scheme
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate your time.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:32 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by some
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question and would appreciate if someone pointed me to the proper forum, but I needed some guidance on moving to U.K

For someone earning about 5lacs per annum in India and is under 27 it seems U.K is the easiest under the new points based migration scheme.

Is U.K the easiest option for migrating for an individual from India compared to other parts? I did a points estimate on the U.K immigration site and under the new scheme it seems quite a lot of people in the IT/accounting/finance/engineering and many other majors can easily move there. It seems there are very many people who are under 27, earning about 4-5 lacs per annum in India(and similarly in many other parts of world) with a Bachelors, enough English skills and some funds. Likewise, there would be a plethora of people from other countries also who can easily qualify.

Any reason they have made it so easy though Canada, Australia require some work experience(2 and 4 years respectively for skilled migrant visas), New Zealand needs a job offer most of the time and U.S. has heavy restrictions on number of visas?

Are there adequate IT jobs or is it hard to get employed in that field there?
Also are the salaries comparable to U.S. or do the high taxes leave little in savings?

My background is in IT and I have a Bachelors + Masters in it along with a couple of years of work experience.

I apologize again if this is the wrong forum, but I just was wondering when all other countries have lot more restrictions why is U.K so open? Does U.K. also have a fixed number of immigrant visas for each country like the U.S. after which the other applicants have to wait for the next year or are there some other barring factors which I have not considered like new licensing is required in the IT profession?

Also, does getting a immigrant visa typically take long for a case like me with no health/character issues. For Australia it takes about 2-3 years and for Canada about 5-6 years if applied from India for a person with my background.

Am I missing/overlooking some key factors?

Can someone please advise?

Thanks
But, do you want to live in the UK?? or are you just going because it's the easiest to get into first?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
But, do you want to live in the UK?? or are you just going because it's the easiest to get into first?
I don't have any special preference for living overseas as long the country does not have strict regulations on immigrants like the Gulf(from what I have heard). I am waiting for my H1-B for U.S. but it seems like a lottery most of them time. Canada takes about 5-6 years processing time for immigrants from India if applied from India and as someone pointed out getting jobs there is tough indeed for IT people. Australia is another option but I will need more years of work experience and New Zealand( needs a employer to sponsor you like U.S. and not that many employers there are willing to hire people from overseas.

or are you just going because it's the easiest to get into first?
I don't have a choice so you can say I am trying for that at present.