Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Two months is enough, I want to go home

Two months is enough, I want to go home

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two months is enough, I want to go home

Originally Posted by cathyc
Wow! thank you so much for all of your replies .

I'm not sure if this is homesickness or not, that's the problem. I've moved round a fair bit but have never felt this negative about a place. Yes it could be culture shock but I was expecting something a lot different.

We're living in Mairangi Bay which is in the north shore of Auckland. It's not at all like I'd thought it would be. It's very hilly for a start and a lot more built up.

We've got two young children and I don't have any intention of working until they are in school full time. I've started to visit some groups with them and have made some friends. But it's not the lack of friends really that is bothering me. It's the coldness and dampness, the awful cost of electricity, no heating, the standard of the rental houses, the bad driving, giving way to the right, the food.....I could go on.

But of all of it it;s the houses that have really depressed me. Honestly some of them wouldn't even be found in a dumpy holiday camp in Britain, how on earth could landlords have the cheek to rent them out in such a state? We looked at some where the plaster was so wet you could pick it off the walls, how can children live in a place like that? And no heating either, there's no way I'd have a portable gas fire because I'm scared stiff of the things so we have to rely on electric heaters and I'm dreading the next bill. But we have to keep the place warm because of the children, It's really hard sometimes.

When I think of our lovely house back in England I could cry but if I start I may never stop. It can't be just me, do other people feel the same?
Hi Cathy,
we have been in NZ for nearly 3 months. I also have 2 small children & don't work until they are both in full time schooling. Hubby currently has no job, so no income either which is tough, but we love it here so far (sorry don't mean to rub it in) luckily we have rented a nice house (yes its cold) which has helped as the last one we rented in the uk was a pile of poo! I'm just starting to feel a wee bit homesick, missing family & friends Pm me if you need to chat xxxx
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Two months is enough, I want to go home

Originally Posted by cathyc
A fitted gas heater does sound like luxury, my brother had gas wall heaters put in his terraced house in the Lake District and they worked very well.

I still automatically convert everything back into pounds, specially the petrol which seems a lot cheaper when I do that, lol! Isn't it strange though how all the garages put their prices up or down all at the same time? We could do with a price war I think

How did your move into your new house go, have you settled in yet?

It went really well but no where near being settled yet! Boxes everywhere, cant find anything, hot water not working...the list goes on! But despite it all I am very happy we finally have somewhere of our own. I normally keep working until it is all done when I move somewhere new but having the 17 month old around keeping her entertained and away from the stairs means I cant do much during the day. I am at work today and it feels like a rest!