Wikiposts

try somewhere new?

Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:03 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: try somewhere new?

Originally Posted by tuppins
Same here, where we are is beautiful, but the same over. I find myself travelling for miles to visit a beach exactly the same as the one i live near.

Do you have any recommendations of other towns in Sussex? x
In West Sussex I love Arundel (history),and like West Wittering for the access to the sea. East Sussex...I adore Fairlight (village) and would live anywhere around there in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice

Originally Posted by dingbat
In West Sussex I love Arundel (history),and like West Wittering for the access to the sea. East Sussex...I adore Fairlight (village) and would live anywhere around there in a heartbeat.

I loove Arundel too, but very pricey!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:27 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I loove Arundel too, but very pricey!
It is, but if you are willing to forego the 12th century cottage, there are a few bargains to be had. I think it was the Black Rabbit I used to go to with my baby daughter way back then for nights out...it had good food I think?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Devon/Cornwall would be my first choice - maybe I am getting a tad too old and grey after all. Failing that I would quite like South Wales or North Yorkshire - I think Whitby would be lovely but I dont mind the area around Settle either. I would also like the Highlands - I'd be happy in Oban or on Mull I think and Pitlochry always feels good to me. I enjoy York and the surrounding area so that could be another goer. I know that properties are cheapest in Lincolnshire so more bang for my buck house-wise maybe and still within cooee of the olds in Cambridge. Suffolk also appeals as does the area around Ludlow. Sheesh, I think pretty much anywhere except Birmingham or Bradford would do it for me! Must admit Brighton did not float my boat - it was the biggest disappointment of any of my recent trips, second only to Plymouth which, from what I could see, was Chav-central (both times I visited!).
I was in South Wales for about 8 months when I first came back. It really is a place of contrasts. Positives are: You're close to some beautiful countryside; the people are lovely; you can get decent-priced housing; getting between some places can be very straightforward (good road system); relatively close to Cardiff; good rail links between the towns and villages; the people are lovely (did I already say that?). Negatives: the area is largely still economically depressed and has associated chavviness in many places; getting between some places (e.g., between different valleys) can be very long-winded because there are few roads connecting the valleys; it can be very rainy and gloomy in the winter. Overall, though, I would rate it as a place to live relatively inexpensively.

I don't know much about the highlands, but as far as Scotland is concerned (Glasgow area) I an say the following: Positives: very close to some stunning countryside and historic sites; three decent international airports (Glasgow, Prestwick, Edinburgh); Glasgow has some great museums and galleries (and shopping of course, but that has no attraction for me). Negatives: Housing in decent areas is pretty pricey; much of the housing is perrt characterless (a lot of ex-council properties, pebble-dash everywhere); Glasgow has some awful areas of deprivation (male life expectancy in East Glagsow is something like 48 years!). Personally, I find people in the Glasgow area a bit unapproachable at times, but on the other hand I've also met some very nice folks. I think being English is a bit more of an issue in Glasgow than South Wales.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

In West Sussex I love Arundel (history)... and would live anywhere around there in a heartbeat.
Loved the George and Dragon pub for food many years ago. Storrington used be pretty cute too as I recall. Lots of places around there are lovely.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

A great idea to try something new!!

We came back from Montreal, and went to a small town/ large village on the edge of the Cotswolds. We have always lived in large cities ie London & Montreal but are now in Bampton Oxfordshire population 2,500.

It's still early days but we love it. For the price of a 2 bedroom flat over a kebab shop in London we have rented a decent size converted barn. Not only is the whole area picture postcard, but we have supermarket, bank, butcher,coffee shop less than 1minute away. Big Supermarkets , shops etc are a 10 minute drive away in Witney. There seems to be so much to do in the Cotswolds plus there is Oxford on the doorstep. It's also not terribly far from London.

There also appears to be none or next to no crime at all, It's amazing to see people not locking bikes and no graffiti. It's mainly because it's not really on a major through route to anywhere. I think the only drawback is that you need a car public transport is a bit flaky in these parts .
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice

It is, but if you are willing to forego the 12th century cottage, there are a few bargains to be had. I think it was the Black Rabbit I used to go to with my baby daughter way back then for nights out...it had good food I think?

OH NO, don't talk to me about the black rabbit
I had the most wonderful wknd with my best friend before i left for Australia, we went to a spa in worthing and then went for the most wonderful lunch outside the black rabbit overlooking the lake and then finished the afternoon wondering the around Arundel in the antique shops and the craft fair that was on that wknd. Aaaahhhh......home Just wish OH wasn't having second thoughts
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was in South Wales for about 8 months when I first came back. It really is a place of contrasts. Positives are: You're close to some beautiful countryside; the people are lovely; you can get decent-priced housing; getting between some places can be very straightforward (good road system); relatively close to Cardiff; good rail links between the towns and villages; the people are lovely (did I already say that?). Negatives: the area is largely still economically depressed and has associated chavviness in many places; getting between some places (e.g., between different valleys) can be very long-winded because there are few roads connecting the valleys; it can be very rainy and gloomy in the winter. Overall, though, I would rate it as a place to live relatively inexpensively.
Totally agree with your take on South Wales.

We too are thinking of going somewhere different in a year or two. SW & SE England are currently high on our list. I know we want a coastal village or town. The negativesof South Wales (primarily the chaviness) is beginning to wear on us......that and running a PO in the middle of it all. We literally cannot go anywhere in our area without running into one of our customers and after a few years our privacy is now non existent.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 1:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
Totally agree with your take on South Wales.

We too are thinking of going somewhere different in a year or two. SW & SE England are currently high on our list. I know we want a coastal village or town. The negativesof South Wales (primarily the chaviness) is beginning to wear on us......that and running a PO in the middle of it all. We literally cannot go anywhere in our area without running into one of our customers and after a few years our privacy is now non existent.
When I first moved to S. Wales I drove down to visit a friend in Somerset. She was looking to move house so I spent a couple of days driving her around looking at places. I was amazed at how many of the houses were quite affordable (though we weren't looking in any of the tourist traps), and many were situated in very nice little villages. Driving around the roads was a lot of fun, too - high hedgerows, windy roads, almost like stepping back in time (except for the cars of course!)

I was reading just the other day that there is a major renovation scheme (new roads, etc.) going on around your area. Hope it is improving things and sorry to hear about the chavvy challenges you are having.

Hope the plans are going well - have you found any potential areas yet?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
When I first moved to S. Wales I drove down to visit a friend in Somerset. She was looking to move house so I spent a couple of days driving her around looking at places. I was amazed at how many of the houses were quite affordable (though we weren't looking in any of the tourist traps), and many were situated in very nice little villages. Driving around the roads was a lot of fun, too - high hedgerows, windy roads, almost like stepping back in time (except for the cars of course!)

I was reading just the other day that there is a major renovation scheme (new roads, etc.) going on around your area. Hope it is improving things and sorry to hear about the chavvy challenges you are having.

Hope the plans are going well - have you found any potential areas yet?

Don't even get me started on the "major renovation scheme"..........It is ONE HUGE MESS. They've put in a bypass.......which now means the once semi-busy road in front of our PO now has speeds often comparable to a dual carriageway.........and the Police & Council, despite numerous complaints don't seem to want to enforce the 30 mph speed limit. Already one child has been hit and I was almost run over by chav on a four wheeler during one snowfall this past winter. .....they are also digging up the entire village to put in new sewer and water lines.......granted........that's probably needed..........but they seem to be doing it with no thought to people falling into the huge holes they are digging and leaving open for weeks on end........not to mention they are tearing down half the buildings in the town centre........supposedly to make it nicer for the new superstore that they cannot seem to secure......and the sod-all council has managed to kill about 3/4's of the traders in the village with all this "improvement". It is, in short, the WORST Urban Renewal Project I have ever witnessed. It is playing a large role in our reason for wanting to escape.

We are thinking of heading to Weston Super Mare for the August Bank Holiday and exploring that area....so Sommerset is a definate possiblilty. Since we work so much, I think a lot of our exploration is going to have to occur after we sell up next year hopefully. ....I think we would love Cornwall...........but the train links don't appear to be all that great out of there and since we plan on traveling alot to Europe, we don't want to be stuck on a train for hours and hours just to get to an airport.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

We are moving to Ipswich, Aug/09...all new to us. hopefully from there we'll be able to find what we want...and relocate IF we have too. dragging the 3 kids in tow. We were also free to pick an area...and be somewhat close to family and friends...so east anglia was our choice. and hopefully get on the houseladder as well.

good luck
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
we are wondering what to do. We are returning home in 2wk and don't know where the hell we are going Part of us wants to go back to what we know but we would also like to go somewhere new.
Can we have some stories please
Having worked abroad most of my life, I believe it is a mistake to go back where you came from and try and pick up the pieces. It also gives you the impression that your life has gone full circle. There are many interesting places in the World so try something different like the Yorkshire Dales or Lake Chapala in Mexico. As Helen Keller said: "Life is a great adventure or nothing.".