British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Trips to Britain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/trips-britain-373114/)

blaze May 12th 2006 2:09 pm

Trips to Britain

How often do you go (home! :) ) to Britain? Do you go as often as you would like or is it too little for your liking and if it's the latter then what are the things that prohibit you from travelling more.
When I lived on the west coast I only managed to go about every 2-3 years as it was really cost prohibitive. I always made it clear to my employers when I applied for jobs that I would require 3-4 weeks vacation (mostly unpaid of course!) during the years that I went to Britain as I wasn't going to fly all that way and spend all that money for 1-2 weeks. I never had a problem with any employer (although sometimes other employees thought that you were getting preferential treatment which is stupid because it was unpaid!)
The employer that I work for now is great but is not going to be able to let me go for that long and I also have to take specific weeks off as these are the times that the office is closed. Unfortunately we are closed during the busiest travel weeks of the year so even though I am on the east coast it is still really costly.
So, how do you handle this situation and are you content with the amount of time you get to spend back home? :)

TruBrit May 12th 2006 2:19 pm

Re: Trips to Britain

hi blaze, yep i'm lucky i can return home whenever and stay for however long i want but usually i make a trip home to blighty every 6 weeks...i could not imagine staying here for too long at a stretch...usa people say to me didn't i feel isolated living in the uk on an island and the answer is no....i feel more isolated in the usa than ever in the uk.

blaze May 12th 2006 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hi blaze, yep i'm lucky i can return home whenever and stay for however long i want but usually i make a trip home to blighty every 6 weeks...i could not imagine staying here for too long at a stretch...usa people say to me didn't i feel isolated living in the uk on an island and the answer is no....i feel more isolated in the usa than ever in the uk.

You're very lucky! :) I feel more isolated here because there is such a huge distance from one place to another. If for example you want to see the ocean and you live somewhere like the Dakotas /Colorado/Minnesota e.t.c then it can take you sometimes days of travelling to get to it. That has made me feel very claustrophobic at times (strange isn't it!) :)

TruBrit May 12th 2006 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by blaze
You're very lucky! :) I feel more isolated here because there is such a huge distance from one place to another. If for example you want to see the ocean and you live somewhere like the Dakotas /Colorado/Minnesota e.t.c then it can take you sometimes days of travelling to get to it. That has made me feel very claustrophobic at times (strange isn't it!) :)

that's exactly it blaze....everywhere is sooo far apart...from our place in surrey we can be in gare du nord in just over 3 hrs... :)

blaze May 12th 2006 2:34 pm

that's exactly it blaze....everywhere is sooo far apart...from our place in surrey we can be in gare du nord in just over 3 hrs... :)

I know Americans see Britain as being tiny, but when you live there it doesn't seem tiny at all. It's America that seems so insanely big! My hubby always used to call Britain the 'world's largest aircraft carrier' :)

Jerseygirl May 12th 2006 2:41 pm

That's why I live living in NJ, I'm not stuck in the middle of a land mass. Sounds silly I know but that was one of the reasons I didn't want to live in Chicago. Here you have pretty easy access to NYC, Philly, DC, Boston. I could go back to the UK as often as I want but don't because it unsettles me.

TruBrit May 12th 2006 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's why I live living in NJ, I'm not stuck in the middle of a land mass. Sounds silly I know but that was one of the reasons I didn't want to live in Chicago. Here you have pretty easy access to NYC, Philly, DC, Boston. I could go back to the UK as often as I want but don't because it unsettles me.

but it's all still the USA... :(

Jerseygirl May 12th 2006 2:45 pm

but it's all still the USA... :(

Yes but we're near the Atlantic and guess what's at the other side? :p

BTW thought of you yesterday when I saw some white chocolate M & M's.

TruBrit May 12th 2006 2:49 pm

miss your point...yep the uk is across the pond and only a few hrs from here that's why i go back so often.....non stop easy peasy :)
i also saw some yesterday in target but didn't buy them still got lots of maltesers left..lol

blaze May 12th 2006 3:05 pm

Precisely why when we retired from the military we moved to the east coast as opposed to going back to AZ which is what we were originally going to do. Much closer to family here (American AND British!) :)

Jerseygirl May 12th 2006 3:08 pm

Precisely why when we retired from the military we moved to the east coast as opposed to going back to AZ which is what we were originally going to do. Much closer to family here (American AND British!) :)

Oh I was thinking more on the lines that its closer to M & S, or have I got the wrong thread?

blaze May 12th 2006 3:12 pm

Oh I was thinking more on the lines that its closer to M & S, or have I got the wrong thread?

LOL, there's no rule against combining treads as far as I know! :p

britchicknyc May 12th 2006 4:06 pm

I've lived in the NYC metro area for about 4 and a half years now. I generally get back to Britain about 4 times a year.

I was last back at christmas, but would have gone back since then, but I'm three weeks away from giving birth and the idea of sitting on a plane for that long fills me with horror. Am planning on going Sept/Oct with hubby and the little one, and perhaps again at xmas. We'll see. From NYC the flights are as cheap as they're gonna get....

Despite going back so frequently, I always feel a sense of relief when sitting on the tarmac at heathrow waiting to take off....

blaze May 12th 2006 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I've lived in the NYC metro area for about 4 and a half years now. I generally get back to Britain about 4 times a year.

I was last back at christmas, but would have gone back since then, but I'm three weeks away from giving birth and the idea of sitting on a plane for that long fills me with horror. Am planning on going Sept/Oct with hubby and the little one, and perhaps again at xmas. We'll see. From NYC the flights are as cheap as they're gonna get....

Despite going back so frequently, I always feel a sense of relief when sitting on the tarmac at heathrow waiting to take off....

Congratulations on baby! Is this your first? You wait until you have to buy a plane ticket for them too, then it starts to get expensive! :p You said you feel relief sitting on the tarmac at LHR waiting to TAKE OFF!, it's completely the other way around for me, as soon as I hit that tarmac a calm feeling comes over me and I feel completely at home. The problem is that it doesn't happen often enough and I get withdrawal symptoms. Do you mind me asking (if you do then you don't have to answer! :) ) Do you work? I couldn't go home that often because I could never get away from work.
P.s If you're due in 3 weeks I don't think that you're allowed to fly anyway are you? :)

Bob May 12th 2006 4:28 pm

too skint...even though I could get a ticket for myself for a 100 notes, doesn't help the missus out...plus there's only a couple mates still back home, minted enough to come see me those cheap tarts...but anyway, another mates moved to San Fran, another randomly blagged a huge job in China, beats toy designs in Beds, but anyway, and the rest have randomly scattered across London, except one fool that ended up in Leeds or there abouts...