Trips to Britain

Old May 12th 2006, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trips to Britain

Once a year (twice if I save my vacation time).

I'd like to go more but not sure that I would. Every time I go back it takes me a while to settle back into being here. The less I go back the more settled I feel and the less I think about the things I miss from England (sucks doesn't it?).
Old May 12th 2006, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I've lived in the NYC metro area for about 4 and a half years now. I generally get back to Britain about 4 times a year.

I was last back at christmas, but would have gone back since then, but I'm three weeks away from giving birth and the idea of sitting on a plane for that long fills me with horror. Am planning on going Sept/Oct with hubby and the little one, and perhaps again at xmas. We'll see. From NYC the flights are as cheap as they're gonna get....

Despite going back so frequently, I always feel a sense of relief when sitting on the tarmac at heathrow waiting to take off....

Congratulations

My advice would be to not travel back with the baby that early.
We went back last xmas, our baby was then 4 months old.
Was a nightmare trip. He didn't adjust to the time diff well, & had a hard time sleeping.

Not planning to go back until maybe this time next year, when he's a bit older.
Old May 12th 2006, 5:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickmills
My advice would be to not travel back with the baby that early.
We went back last xmas, our baby was then 4 months old.
Was a nightmare trip. He didn't adjust to the time diff well, & had a hard time sleeping.

Congratulations from here too!

Just shows everyones different - I'd say travel as much as you can before the little one gets mobile, and aware of whats going on. We did a round the world ticket with our eldest when he was 3months old, and it was a piece of cake. His under 1 year travelling racked up over 80,000 airmiles (shame he didn't qualify for them at that stage ), and we never had a problem. Well, apart from just after take off on a flight to Japan when he deposited a whole bottle of milk on me - boy did I whiff by the time we arrived - now I always pack a spare change for me, as well as the kids! But it does depend on the kid - like I say, each ones different, and you won't know till you try it - fortunately ours do pretty well on planes (tempting fate there, eh!) - I feel sorry for the folk whose kids don't settle - must make the flights seem twice as long!
Old May 12th 2006, 5:47 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

ps we generally get back at least once a year, and more likely twice, for 2-3 weeks each time. Less than we used to, less than I'd like to, but still not bad.
Old May 12th 2006, 5:47 pm
cpf
Just Joined

cpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nice

I used to go home once or twice a year till we had kids. IWe've had two in the last two years and been home once with one of them when he was 7 months. Now he's two and the other guy is two months. We're thinking about going home this summer, but flights are so expensive right now.. and the thought of taking a toddler and baby on a plane for seven/eight hours makes me want to cry.

I always find that also having visitors from home once or twice a year helps me to reconnect. Of course, I would love to go home more, but work, the expense and expanded family make it hard.

C
Old May 12th 2006, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Thanks for the congratulations - you're all very kind.

I do work, but I get 4 weeks vacation time, plus sometimes I have business trips to Britain I can add that time on to.

As for traveling with the baby: I too had heard its much easier when they are tiny than once they are mobile. Plus I want to get back while I'm on leave from work, so I can spend a couple of weeks with my family.
Old May 12th 2006, 7:03 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been back in 6 years, and before that, it was only every few years. Personally, if I'm going to spend a couple of grand on a trip, I'd rather it be somewhere hot with a beach!
Old May 12th 2006, 7:20 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Only once a year because i work for vacation nazis.
Old May 12th 2006, 7:57 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj
Only once a year because i work for vacation nazis.
I managed to get home last year 1st time in 5 years but we only got 4 days in UK had a big family reunion in Spain then had to be back home for a wedding so it was short, would love to go back I am so desperate to go but flights are out of control especially when its x 4 take your kids away young before they charge full price.
Old May 12th 2006, 7:58 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by blaze
How often do you go (home! ) to Britain? Do you go as often as you would like or is it too little for your liking and if it's the latter then what are the things that prohibit you from travelling more.
When I lived on the west coast I only managed to go about every 2-3 years as it was really cost prohibitive. I always made it clear to my employers when I applied for jobs that I would require 3-4 weeks vacation (mostly unpaid of course!) during the years that I went to Britain as I wasn't going to fly all that way and spend all that money for 1-2 weeks. I never had a problem with any employer (although sometimes other employees thought that you were getting preferential treatment which is stupid because it was unpaid!)
The employer that I work for now is great but is not going to be able to let me go for that long and I also have to take specific weeks off as these are the times that the office is closed. Unfortunately we are closed during the busiest travel weeks of the year so even though I am on the east coast it is still really costly.
So, how do you handle this situation and are you content with the amount of time you get to spend back home?
If I had 6 weeks vacation like I did in the UK, I'd go back 3-4 times a year. Right now, it's about once every 8 or 9 months. I ahve to accrue my leave and i haven't been working in my current job that long. In July I'll get 13 days - hooray! b
Old May 12th 2006, 8:01 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
I haven't been back in 6 years, and before that, it was only every few years. Personally, if I'm going to spend a couple of grand on a trip, I'd rather it be somewhere hot with a beach!
Good call Elsie - that's the way my mind works too. Maybe it's because we both hail from Nottinghamshire?!

Mexico or Mansfield? Not much competition really!

Mexico it is - and tomorrow at that. Some Margarita fueled tom-foolery beckons!
Old May 12th 2006, 8:05 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Good call Elsie - that's the way my mind works too. Maybe it's because we both hail from Nottinghamshire?!

Mexico or Mansfield? Not much competition really!

Mexico it is - and tomorrow at that. Some Margarita fueled tom-foolery beckons!
Traitors.
Old May 12th 2006, 8:18 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Traitors.

Well, I'm not going to say that Mexico and Margaritas aren't enticing in themselves but that's always the thing isn't it, do you spend every bit of vacation time that you have with family, or do you take some time and donate it to a 'holiday'?
Old May 12th 2006, 8:20 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I just have to add that I have always given all my time to family because I love them and want to spend as much time with them as possible (but sun, sea and sand always do sound nice!)
Old May 12th 2006, 8:21 pm
Blondie22

Traitors.

Getting bored with that avatar huh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.