Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Travelling from London Heathrow to Lincolnshire

Travelling from London Heathrow to Lincolnshire

Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Travelling from London Heathrow to Lincolnshire

Hi Everyone,
We are seriously considering a trip to the UK (from South Africa) in Dec/Jan., mainly so hubby can have a 'look-'n-see', because we will be moving to Scotland once our house is sold (wish it would hurry up and sell). We'd be arriving at Heathrow airport, and I am wondering what would be the best way to travel to Lincolnshire, need to get there to visit my Mum, before heading up to Scotland. We are thinking of hiring a car, but I'm worried about driving - is the weather going to be really bad at that time of the year? Is it easy enough to catch a bus, or would a train be better. Is there a train station near the airport or would we have to get a taxi from the airport to the station? Any info., thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. Or is it a better idea to land at Manchester Airport?
Thanks Audrey
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

squiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Travelling from London Heathrow to Lincolnshire

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
Hi Everyone,
We are seriously considering a trip to the UK (from South Africa) in Dec/Jan., mainly so hubby can have a 'look-'n-see', because we will be moving to Scotland once our house is sold (wish it would hurry up and sell). We'd be arriving at Heathrow airport, and I am wondering what would be the best way to travel to Lincolnshire, need to get there to visit my Mum, before heading up to Scotland. We are thinking of hiring a car, but I'm worried about driving - is the weather going to be really bad at that time of the year? Is it easy enough to catch a bus, or would a train be better. Is there a train station near the airport or would we have to get a taxi from the airport to the station? Any info., thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. Or is it a better idea to land at Manchester Airport?
Thanks Audrey
Hi we live in Lincolnshire.
If you fly to Manchester you can get a train to The Lincolnshire area,goes Sheffield,Doncaster,Scunthorpe,Grimsby,Cleethorpes .
The train Leaves direct from Manchester Airport...
Hope this Helps......
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:37 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd fly into Machester if I were you. Much easier, but if you do fly into LHR you can get a National Express Coach from Heathrow Central. It's a bit of a pain to get there from T4 or T5 though and think it will take around 5 hours to Lincoln on the coach.

Taxi into London from LHR will be 50-70 pounds depending on time of day and you can get the train from Paddington (I'm sure it's Paddington - you'd need to double check) to Lincoln. Estimate that would be around 3 hours.

There is an underground station at LHR so you could get to Paddington that way but I think it would be a PITA dragging luggage after a l/h flight onto the underground.

Deffo reckon flying into Manchester is your best bet if you can get flights there.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
There is an underground station at LHR so you could get to Paddington that way but I think it would be a PITA dragging luggage after a l/h flight onto the underground.
You could also get the Heathrow Express to Paddington with isn't quiet as hectic as the underground and takes about 15 minutes.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:56 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
You could also get the Heathrow Express to Paddington with isn't quiet as hectic as the underground and takes about 15 minutes.

Yep agree forgot that one. Just check beforehand that there are no cancellations due to railworks - used to be alot
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

My wife and I have flown into Heathrow many times over the last 18 years, to then travel onto Lincolnshire (Spalding). We've always rented a car and have done so at various times of the year, so I've never found the weather to be a problem (but then I'm used to winter driving in Canada!).

It'll depend when you land at Heathrow but we usually get in around 9am, take the shuttle bus to the car rental and on our way driving by around 10.30'ish. The drive for us is a couple of hours and family have lunch ready for us on our arrival.
For what it's worth I would never go the public transport route but many do, just doesn't suit me.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luckyone
My wife and I have flown into Heathrow many times over the last 18 years, to then travel onto Lincolnshire (Spalding). We've always rented a car and have done so at various times of the year, so I've never found the weather to be a problem (but then I'm used to winter driving in Canada!).

It'll depend when you land at Heathrow but we usually get in around 9am, take the shuttle bus to the car rental and on our way driving by around 10.30'ish. The drive for us is a couple of hours and family have lunch ready for us on our arrival.
For what it's worth I would never go the public transport route but many do, just doesn't suit me.
I agree...a hired car is best. We have used Thrifty Car Rental for obvious reasons...cheap'n'cheerful with easy access.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
I agree...a hired car is best. We have used Thrifty Car Rental for obvious reasons...cheap'n'cheerful with easy access.
Thanks everyone, I'm getting the impression that perhaps hiring a car would be the better idea, especially with kids/luggage.

Next question, if we were to hire a car; we then need to travel from Lincolnshire up to Carnoustie in Scotland - how long would this drive take?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Next question, if we were to hire a car; we then need to travel from Lincolnshire up to Carnoustie in Scotland - how long would this drive take?
google is your friend or http://route.rac.co.uk/
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also go with renting a car. I'm from Lincolnshire - it is somewhat off the beaten track, and rail to the county is generally a pain from the major airports.

Wouldn't worry about the time of year. UK weather is different now than what I remember it when growing up 20-25 years ago...I remember the great days and sometimes up week or two off school.....generally that never seems to happen anymore. Kinda sad really.....but good for travel.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Driving out of Heathrow and through that part of England can be very stressful, so if you've had an overnight flight you might want to stay a day or two to get adjusted. Last time we went over we spent a couple of nights in London and explored there. The kids would enjoy the museums, depending on age. We went back to Heathrow to pick up a rental car because we were going to drop it there at the end of the holiday and it seemed simpler, but there are probably other options.

We used the tube connection and had no trouble, but we didn't have kids. IIRC it was all on the flat to the tube. We might even have been able to take a cart all the way.

Bev
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bevm
Driving out of Heathrow and through that part of England can be very stressful, so if you've had an overnight flight you might want to stay a day or two to get adjusted. Last time we went over we spent a couple of nights in London and explored there. The kids would enjoy the museums, depending on age. We went back to Heathrow to pick up a rental car because we were going to drop it there at the end of the holiday and it seemed simpler, but there are probably other options.

We used the tube connection and had no trouble, but we didn't have kids. IIRC it was all on the flat to the tube. We might even have been able to take a cart all the way.

Bev
I think we have decided that a few nights in London (somewhere?) before going up to Sleaford would be a good idea, just to catch our breath and explore London a bit and do the touristy things, then the best bet seems to then be, to get a rental car and drive up to Lincolnshire. I'm not sure I fancy catching public transport with suitcases and two small kids (Age 6 & 9).
We'll stay with my Mum in Sleaford for a few nights then drive up to my Dad in Carnoustie, Scotland, but I'm now looking for somewhere nice 'half-way' to stay overnight and break the journey. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of London and Heathrow, just a couple of hours ago my OH booked flights for me and our 5 year old to go and visit London while he's working there in November. We'll only have 2 full days (leaving on Friday after noon returning on Monday afternoon) so I will be getting the tube with bags and a kid Neither myself or OH can drive so renting a car won't be an option.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Speaking of London and Heathrow, just a couple of hours ago my OH booked flights for me and our 5 year old to go and visit London while he's working there in November. We'll only have 2 full days (leaving on Friday after noon returning on Monday afternoon) so I will be getting the tube with bags and a kid Neither myself or OH can drive so renting a car won't be an option.

might be easier to get a cab to the hotel from LHR and then using the tube around town...one doesn't need a car.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

We'll stay with my Mum in Sleaford for a few nights then drive up to my Dad in Carnoustie, Scotland, but I'm now looking for somewhere nice 'half-way' to stay overnight and break the journey. Any suggestions?

google is your friend...seriously

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.