TOR question

Old Mar 28th 2018, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

simonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond repute
Default TOR question

Hi everyone, just starting to make arrangements for moving back.
We are not bringing anything big like furniture, just clothes, sentimental items, a few books / dvds as well as some of my more treasured kitchen equipment (non-electrical).

Our plan is just to bring everything in suitcases and I was wondering if its worth getting a TOR?

I have seen in other posts people saying that it isn't necessary, I just wonder if we turn up at Heathrow with 10 suitcases if it may arise suspicion and so be worth having a TOR just in case?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28th 2018, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TOR question

You still have to declare what you are bring back even if its in suitcases or plastic bags.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

TiaMaria57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonb83
Hi everyone, just starting to make arrangements for moving back.
We are not bringing anything big like furniture, just clothes, sentimental items, a few books / dvds as well as some of my more treasured kitchen equipment (non-electrical).

Our plan is just to bring everything in suitcases and I was wondering if its worth getting a TOR?

I have seen in other posts people saying that it isn't necessary, I just wonder if we turn up at Heathrow with 10 suitcases if it may arise suspicion and so be worth having a TOR just in case?

Thanks!
We have just returned to the UK with suitcases.....18 suit cases and a large U Haul box of art / pictures. We didn’t bother with a TOR since we were bringing in our own sentimental belongings we’d had for years, (much of it from the UK originally), and all within these suitcases which were traveling with us through 4 different airports. If we’d been questioned we would have happily told the customs officers what we had and why, but no one asked us or even showed any interest at all in this massive suitcase arrival. But other travelers appeared to be in awe of our large amount of luggage! The airport staff were wonderful. They even helped us load them on to trolleys which they lined up and they pushed them through customs for us and even across to the car park, where our 2 taxi drivers with vans were waiting. I couldn’t thank the staff enough for their help. It made a very easy move back home after 25 years.

The cost was $4,475 but not as expensive as getting a container and certainly a lot less time consuming than filling in a TOR, many of which the questions on the form even remotely fit our circumstances. As I said, we would have happily explained had we been asked. So long as you have nothing to hide or to declare I can’t see any problems whatsoever.

One thing I did was to list every single item inside each suitcase, mainly for our own use because we now know exactly which suitcase to open when we want a particular item. (We don’t intend opening them all at once). I then photographed the list whilst attached to the outside of the case so that I could identify each particular case. I then placed the list inside the case should it be opened by security in the US. That way they could see clearly what the case contained.

Happy traveling and all the best to you.
TM57
Old Mar 30th 2018, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Benson55
You still have to declare what you are bring back even if its in suitcases or plastic bags.
On which document do you have to declare what you have?
Old Mar 30th 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57
On which document do you have to declare what you have?
If you have something to declare then on arrival you walk into the "something to declare" exit instead of "nothing to declare". A kind lady or gentleman will then provide you with the document(s) to complete. This is the same procedure if you come back with 1 suitcase or 20.

You can find what you need to declare before you travel but if it is for personal use and you have owned it for at least 6 months then no duty is due.

https://www.visitlondon.com/travelle...oms-allowances

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/a...outside-the-eu
Old Mar 30th 2018, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
If you have something to declare then on arrival you walk into the "something to declare" exit instead of "nothing to declare". A kind lady or gentleman will then provide you with the document(s) to complete. This is the same procedure if you come back with 1 suitcase or 20.

You can find what you need to declare before you travel but if it is for personal use and you have owned it for at least 6 months then no duty is due.

https://www.visitlondon.com/travelle...oms-allowances

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/a...outside-the-eu
Yes, we knew this part and we had nothing to declare, but someone above stated that you “Still have to declare” which I didn’t understand? We were helped by airport staff and they led us through the Red Channel, (because it was the easiest route to navigate with so much stuff), but no one stopped us or asked any questions.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57
Yes, we knew this part and we had nothing to declare, but someone above stated that you “Still have to declare” which I didn’t understand? We were helped by airport staff and they led us through the Red Channel, (because it was the easiest route to navigate with so much stuff), but no one stopped us or asked any questions.
I took him to mean you still have to declare stuff that needs to be declared. But you are correct that his post did imply that you have to declare everything in your suitcases when you are accompanying them, which is certainly not the case.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I took him to mean you still have to declare stuff that needs to be declared. But you are correct that his post did imply that you have to declare everything in your suitcases when you are accompanying them, which is certainly not the case.
I agree with you and his post was not clear on that point.
TM57
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

simonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond reputesimonb83 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much @TiaMaria57. It's great to hear that you didn't face any problems even with all that luggage.

It turns out that I had to request a TOR anyway for bringing our dog, so I just ended up doing a broader inventory of all our stuff.

Quick tactical question if you don't mind: did you bring any delicate things like china in your suitcases? Any packing tips based on your experience?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much @TiaMaria57. It's great to hear that you didn't face any problems even with all that luggage.

It turns out that I had to request a TOR anyway for bringing our dog, so I just ended up doing a broader inventory of all our stuff.

Quick tactical question if you don't mind: did you bring any delicate things like china in your suitcases? Any packing tips based on your experience?
Only too happy to be of help. We brought a few delicate items such as cut glass and some pictures with glass in and placed a small amount of bubble wrap over them. It all depends on how you pack the cases. Sandwich everything as closely together as possible using items of clothing or anything soft to stuff between to stop the items moving. Most of our cases had not shifted at all in transit. However, the TSA had opened a few and once they have a rummage through, unfortunately the cases are at risk! Last autumn we brought back 8 cases, one which had in a wide screen computer monitor and the TSA had opened that particular case and they didn’t re-pack as I had and the screen was cracked. A costly replacement!

My husband had many small delicate electronics, tools and components, including a large microscope which he dismantled to fit the case and and all arrived intact. We also brought over a large U Haul box packed with paintings, some in frames. We packed it tightly with polystyrene and none got damaged, but the TSA had been inside that too. We got lucky there!

I suggest you make a list of every single item in each case and photograph the list. Leave the list open (on show), inside the top of the case with your address on. That way the TSA may decide not to poke around too much!

For delicate items use hard shelled cases and soft cases for clothes/shoes. Soft cases are much lighter but don’t offer the protection for delicate items. We bought some large 30” soft cases weighing only 5 lb so we could get more weight in. We put a case strap round each one in a different colour so we could identity each case knowing what was in each one, again photographing the case with the list attached to the outside with the strap showing. It’s a real palaver but far better knowing that your cases are traveling with you.

Put your address tag on each case and keep all your case ‘check-in’ receipts, (just in case). I called the UK airport to arrange help for when we arrived. You may want to do the same. There’s no charge for the service and they were so helpful.... even waiting for us at the arrival door and they rushed us through immigration ahead of the queue.

Let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the very best.
Regards,
TM57
Old Apr 4th 2018, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for all the tips! Fortunately we are flying direct from Mexico to London with no stopovers so we get to avoid interactions with the TSA.
However will likely to what you recommend RE packing lists to cover any eventuality.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot for all the tips! Fortunately we are flying direct from Mexico to London with no stopovers so we get to avoid interactions with the TSA.
However will likely to what you recommend RE packing lists to cover any eventuality.

Thanks again.
Only too happy to help. Good luck on your travels!
TM57