ToR and Duties

Old Nov 29th 2019, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Junna is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile ToR and Duties

Hi everyone,
This could have been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything on recent threads.
We've been here over 2 years, and have decided its time to move our personal belongings over. Yes, we were in denial for that long, hah. HMRC tells me that the ToR01 form and exemptions apply if I submit the form and move my goods over within 12 months of being in this country.
Has anyone tried to apply for a further concession (after the 12 months), and if not possible, where do I go and find the rate of tax/ duty for what I'm planning to bring over?
Many thanks!
Old Dec 5th 2019, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ToR and Duties

Hi, another person (pnkplum) has also asked this question.

The scenario where you have moved back to UK, but still have stuff in a property or in storage for longer than 12 months, must surely be a common one. This was my situation. I did one batch of shipping which was exempt from duty under ToR rules, because near the time of the move back.
But then more than a year later I needed to ship another batch of stuff, from storage. It was all personal goods, secondhand, used for years, my own stuff, etc. Just happened that I hadn't be able to ship it all the first time because it was still furnishing a property .

I tried to explain all this via email to the Tor personnel, while the shipping company waited, but eventually ToR refused my plea for customs relief on the second shipment, and stuck to the letter of the law. It's infuriating —many returning expats must be in a similar situation.

I shipped the stuff anyway. I was very relieved that the duty charged was only around £150.00 -- I wouldn't have gone through all that email writing and waiting if I'd known.
BUT please note!!! a very large portion of my shipment was books--my own personal used ones!! Which I believe are exempt.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Junna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi B-T-W, thanks for your comment.
I spoke with Nigel from Universal Removals who was giving me a quote on the shipping, and he said that duties was 30% on the value your goods. So as with your situation, ours are all second hand things we've used for years, so really the value is debatable...and up to us right? If its not ridiculous like £150 then I'd say it wouldn't be questioned. Still cannot understand why used personal effects attract duty, but glad I didn't have to chase my tail too much to get an answer that I can work with!
Cheers.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks for this.

I'm so glad you have avoided the long and frustrating waiting, emails back and forth, fear of dire consequences and astronomical sums if I couldn't get the relief on the duty, etc, that I went through. I should have insisted on better and clearer info from the shipping company about what sort of duty to expect, and then I wouldn't have worried.