Wikiposts

On the topic of pets...

Old May 30th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Question On the topic of pets...

Okay, I get the whole process for getting my pets into the UK. No worries.

BUT... do landlords rent to pet owners in the UK or is it MUCH harder to find a place to live? (not London, probably *hopefully* East Midlands, hoping to rent a house/rowhouse/semi-detached type thing)

Some places in Canada are downright rigid about pets and whole cities seem to think it's perfectly acceptable to live without the option of pets.

We have one dog and probably only one cat coming with us.

(also, the same sequence of microchipping/vaxxing/wormtreating applies to cats right?)

Thoughts?
Old May 30th 2013, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Default Re: On the topic of pets...

ALSO... on the pet topic...

Can the microchipping happen earlier than 28 days before? If I have my pet microchipped a year before, and rabies vaccinated, is that okay? (as long as it's less than a year and not in need of a booster shot before flying?)

Sorry, just trying to get information straight in my head.
Old May 30th 2013, 9:04 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
BUT... do landlords rent to pet owners in the UK or is it MUCH harder to find a place to live? (not London, probably *hopefully* East Midlands, hoping to rent a house/rowhouse/semi-detached type thing)
From what I see, cats make it a bit more difficult to find a rental, and dogs more so (especially if you're looking for a flat, or in a competitive rental market). Best to be upfront with letting agents and potential landlords, and stress any positives: maybe you have a small dog, or sedate old cats, or are just willing to pay a larger deposit.

It's not impossible, but it is a bit more legwork.

(also, the same sequence of microchipping/vaxxing/wormtreating applies to cats right?)
The cats don't need worming treatments, under current regulations.

ALSO... on the pet topic...

Can the microchipping happen earlier than 28 days before? If I have my pet microchipped a year before, and rabies vaccinated, is that okay? (as long as it's less than a year and not in need of a booster shot before flying?)
Microchipping can be done ages before, so long as it's properly documented. Our two cats got theirs four years before they actually came to England. Similarly, the rabies shot can be done far in advance so long as it'll still be valid at time of flight.

Just make sure you have the vet complete the rabies certificates properly, including all info Defra require, or you may find yourself going back later once you start filling in import paperwork.
Old May 30th 2013, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! Are there different protocols for cats than for dogs? I have only found the one for dogs then I think.

I have a lab (okay, she's about 50lbs... but she's very well behaved, doesn't chew anything but her "blankie" and her kongs - she's a real lovey.), and an old cat. There is another cat, but I'm thinking we'd rehome her, she's young and would adjust. The older cat however would die if he were separated from us, I think. He's fixed, and VERY clean... and as I mentioned, old. I don't know how long he'll be around - all he does now is sleep... cuddle, eat, poop, sleeeeeeeeep....

Thanks again!
Old May 30th 2013, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough

Hi, as far as the rabies goes it has to be done 21 days or more prior to the flight day. With the microchip it doesn't have to re-done as long as it is still readable and is to ISO standards and of course all the information relates to the information given on the certificate and is correct/up to date.
Hope this helps!
Old May 30th 2013, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

it does... so I'm guessing that the cat just needs a microchip and rabies. I can do that.
Thanks!
Old May 30th 2013, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

you've got it! microchip then rabies and if its done at the same time/day, request that your vet says that they had done it that way on the paperwork to minimize confusion!
Old May 30th 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

WolfieThai is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd leave it at least one full day between getting the microchip done and the rabies done - just to be on the safe side. If you get an arsey official clearing your pet they could try to make your life difficult if both dates are exactly the same.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Something to think about . . . you say you are thinking of rehoming one cat because she would adjust because of youth. While that might be true, you are still family to that poor cat and she would never see you or your other pets again. It's still a stress for her so why not take her with you, too.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

I agree with windsong, if your worried about the expenses for the extra(s) kitty on top of the dogs, it really won't be too much more (although I don't know your budget).

It'll be way more stressful for the cat at its age if its older to try and adapt to another family if you hand it over, well that's if anyone took he/she in! Keep the fury animals a little family, you wouldn't regret it! plus, another thing to think about is that the younger kitty might not even adapt without the familiarity of the other cat around!
Old May 30th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Newbie

Back2Blighty is an unknown quantity at this point

Just shipped my cat back from Canada to the UK, on May 23, finding a rental was ok in the end, you could offer to pay a pet deposit to the landlord, my feedback was not clawing but spraying by the cat.

Worming is not required for cats, this changed recently, micro chipping and rabies are what you need. I had my cat's rabies booster done before it was due as it made the whole process easier. I used Ladyhaye for the UK end of the trip as I couldn't take him with me immediately so they have him in their kennels until next week. They were marvellous with walking me through all the paperwork that would be needed at the Canadian end.

PM me if you need any more details.
Old May 30th 2013, 7:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2Blighty
Just shipped my cat back from Canada to the UK, on May 23, finding a rental was ok in the end, you could offer to pay a pet deposit to the landlord, my feedback was not clawing but spraying by the cat.

Worming is not required for cats, this changed recently, micro chipping and rabies are what you need. I had my cat's rabies booster done before it was due as it made the whole process easier. I used Ladyhaye for the UK end of the trip as I couldn't take him with me immediately so they have him in their kennels until next week. They were marvellous with walking me through all the paperwork that would be needed at the Canadian end.

PM me if you need any more details.
Usually a landlord will require an extra deposit, this will vary, anything between a fixed figure or a % of the normal rent, might be £100 or 50% of rent, but most landlords will allow pets, UNLESS you are renting in a place that it actually leasehold, where the lease has a specific NO PETS clause.
Old May 30th 2013, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if you are not planning on working full time it would go in your favour. I would not like to rent my property out to someone that would be leaving a dog for 8+ hours per day, unless they were making arrangements for a dog walker to come in during the day to walk/check on the dog. However, I would rent to someone with a dog, depending on the breed/size, but would ask for a larger deposit. Fleas are a nightmare, so make sure that both cat and dog are kept up to date with flea treatments. Vets now offer written prescriptions for medications, so many of the stronger flea treatments (Frontline etc..) can be obtained over the Internet or in pet shops much cheaper than from the vet. Some branches of Boots even sell prescription pet meds/flea treatments.

We are moving to the US next week with our dog, so will have the same issue as you but in the reverse! We also have a 17yr old cat, who has gone to live with my mum as she is too old and has health issues so we felt it would not be fair to ship her (I honestly don't think she would have made it over).

Good luck with your move.
Old May 31st 2013, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think she'd adjust well, which is why we'd rehome her with friends or family... and now that we're thinking about it, the older cat is QUITE older... we'll have to see how he's doing by the time we're getting ready to move. The microchipping, vaccinating, and then the trauma of flying might be too much for him. I don't want to arrive at the other end with a dead cat in a carrier, you know? That would break my daughter's heart.

We'll have to see where the journey leads as we get closer to the date... it's 16 months away still... got time.